|Awards: Order of Precedence|
|Award & Office Badges|
Mistress Ysemay Sterlyng, OM, OL.
Device:Quarterly gules and argent, a cross counterchanged and a chief sable
I am passionate about research and trying new things. I always have some project in the works. When I am water bearing on the field, or running a tourney, I can usually be found wearing 15th century French working class garb. When I am supporting my husband, I wear 14th century English. When I want to "dress up," I am often in 16th century German. However, I also enjoy viking and am planning to venture into the exotic wilds of India. Currently, I am venturing into the Iberian peninsula for a bit of 16th century Spanish.
Offices & Positions
- Chatelaine, Shire of Quintavia, 2002-2003
- Order of the Maunche 2008
- Mistress of Arts & Sciences, Shire of Nordenhalle, 4/2013-4/2015
- King's Bardic Champion 1/2015-2/2016
- Order of the Laurel 2015
- Court Barony 2015
- Order of the Troubadour 2016
When I have time, I will start adding projects to this space.
A Basic List of Fun Things I Have Tried
- Hand sewing gowns--I have now hand sewn numerous gowns
- Figuring out supportive gowns--I have made bust supporting gowns for the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries
- Calligraphy--Could be better, but give me a break, I am left-handed. :)
- "Authentic" Performance--Managed a complete performance, in the persona of a 14th century English woman, speaking and singing completely in Middle English
- Singing--Pick a European language, I will sing in it
- Story telling--16th century German Devil Stories are my favorite
- Illumination--I especially like the French bar and vine styles along with 16th century Italian
- Smocking--I am getting pretty fast at making smocked aprons.
- Painting a plate--Painted a Venetian style plate
- Finger loop braiding--have learned 5 different styles
- Basic embroidery--I am not very good, but I know the main period stitches.
- Beading--I have now embellished garb with many, many pearls
- Glass bead making--FUN! Wish I could do more.
- Etruscan granulation--Made a pendant
- Leather work--Helped make shoes. Made basic books. Tooled leather belts for the kids.
- Jewelry Making--Have made more necklaces than I can count for largess. Numerous Paternosters
- Hats--16th century German Wulstehaub, 14th Century child's hat, 14th Century man's hood
- Woodcuts--Still working on this one...2 started just need to finish
- Tablet weaving on the garment--Based on the finds in Greenland
- Brewing--Made amazing mead and cordials
- Fencing--Authorized in epee and Schlager
- Archery--Need to work my arm strength back up.
- Siege Weapons--Authorized Combat Siege engineer.
Classes that I have taught.
- Sinister Calligraphy--Introduction to Calligraphy for Left Handed Scribes.
- Intro to Smocking-- How to Make a Smocked Apron.
- Don't Be Afraid, It's Only Documentation-- Tips for creating documentation for SCA competions.
- Creating a Wulstehaub--Discussing the research and construction of the German hat.
- How to Pattern a 4 Panel Bodice-- Transition class designed to help move people from commercial patterns to self patterning
- Women and Minorities in the Crown of Aragon-- Dispelling myths and preconceptions about women and minorities during the 12-14th centuries.
- Middle English Pronunciation--Introduction to Middle English