Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya
Syrine in 2021
|Resides: Havre des Glaces|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
|Award & Office Badges|
Syrine discovered the SCA in 2014 through friends, at the Duché de Bicolline where would be held, few months later, the new version of the Beltaines, in Tir Mara. In her mundane life, she has a Bachelor in Business Administration at Université Laval. She has also studied fiber arts in college, for three years. Finally, she's a professional oriental dancer (often referenced to bellydancer).
She has found, in the SCA, a way to manage events, share knowledge, teach techniques, perform and, most of all, learn.
She is also a heavy fighter since 2016
Mistress Shadiyah is taking Syrine as her new apprentice, Barony of Havre des Glaces's Investiture 2018
Photo by Clay Patrick McBridge, Balfar's Challenge 2019
Photo by Azim of Al-Karakal, Feste des Glaces 2019 - Khayra presenting her Silver Wheel scroll and its maker Syrine
These are the words you hear when Al-Karakal's soldiers are on their way to war.
Syrine, as every other fighter of Al-Karakal, is a mamluk, a slave soldier. Forever in the service of the king, their conquests brought them great power and wealth.
Syrine is a turkish warrior from the 14th century.
- Co-Autocrat, Coronation of Mohammad and Corotica, 01/10/2022 👑
- Co-Autocrat, The Beltaines 33rd edition, 06/17/2022 👑
- Co-Autocrat, Spring Crown Tournament, 05/07/2022 👑
- Co-Autocrat, The Beltaines 32nd edition, 06/21/2019 (EK Rapier Championship) 👑
- Co-Autocrat, The Beltaines 31st edition, 06/08/2018 👑
- Deputy Autocrat, The Beltaines 30th edition, 06/24/2017 👑
- Registrations Coordinator, The Beltaines 29th edition, 06/18/2016 👑
- Kitchen staff, Spring Crown Tournament, 2016 👑
- Helper, The Beltaines 28th edition, 06/12/2015 👑
👑 : Royal Progress
Offices & Positions
- Wardrobe coordinator in the Royal Household of their Highnesses/Majesties Mohammad and Corotica (2022-2023)
- Exchequer for the Barony of Havre des Glaces (since January 2022)
- Chatelaine for the Baronny of Havre des Glaces (since march 2018)
- Barony of Havre des Glaces's A&S Champion (2018-2022)
Awards & Honors
- Silver Crescent, (Beltaines 33rd edition, June 2022), by King Ryouko'jin and Queen Indrakshi
- Décoration des Glaces, baronial award for general implication (Feste des Glaces, September 2019), by the populace of Havre des Glaces
- Order of the Silver Lys, baronial award for Service to the Baronny of Havre des Glaces, (Beltaines XXXII, June 2019), by Baron Godfroy de Falaise and Baronness Alisay de Falaise
- Silver Brooch, (IDD's BIA, March 2nd 2019), King Wilhelm and Queen Vienna de la Mer
- Blue Tyger Legion for Al-Karakal's fighters (100 Minutes War, November 17th 2018), by Queen Vienna de la Mer and King Wilhelm.
- Award of Arms (Les Beltaines XXXI, June 9th 2018), by King Brennan and Queen Caoilfhionn.
- Link of Courtesy (Les Beltaines XXXI, June 9th 2018), by Prince Antonii & Princess Ciar of the Mists.
- Men at arms to Sir Baptiste of Al-Karakal
- Apprentice of Mistress Shadiyah
Projects & Interests
- Heavy fighting
- Fiber arts (sewing, weaving, dyeing, spinning, embroidery)
- Oriental dance (bellydancing)
- And so many others
Here are some of my projects
October 2018 - Mists Fall Investiture, Court Baronage for Khalida Bint Sa'id Al-Attar, Words by His highness Antonii Machinevik, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah, Illumination by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya (This piece is based on a 16th-17th century persian illumination by Zain al-‘Abidin al-Tabrizi, since the recipient had a persian persona, and I adapted it with her device which is a black scorpion covered with silver stars. I use Bristol Paper, Blue Cobalt and Geranium red Poster Color paint from ShinHan. The gold is achieved with a golden ink from Winsor&Newton)
January 2018 - 12th Night, Silver Tyger for Azim of Al-Karakal, Words and illumination Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah (This piece is based on elements of the "Geometry in gold" study by Marcus Fraser) (Here is the link to the album and references for this piece)
March 2019 - Gulf War, Thank You Card blanks for the Gift Exchange, Illumination by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya
March 2019 - Baronial Investiture Anniversary of the Ile du Dragon Dormant, A Silver Wheel made for Ikhlas "Ike" Al-Chakib, Illumination and words by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah, Medalion by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya and Pierre Michel Bernard
June 2019 - Les Beltaines XXXII, Havre des Glaces Baronial Order of the Pellerin for Cellach Dhonn inghean Mhic an Mhadaidh, Illumination and words by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah
June 2019 - Les Beltaines XXXII, Havre des Glaces Baronial Order of the Lys d'Argent for Mistress Marguerite de Gui, Illumination and words by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah
September 2019 - Feste des Glaces, Silver Wheel made for Khayra Illumination and words by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah,
September 2019 - Feste des Glaces, Silver Brooch made for Magnus Illumination by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Golf leaf and calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah
May 7th 2022 - Crown Tourney, Silver Tyger made for Kiril Al-Ghadah Hallamet Illumination and words by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah
June 17th 2022 - Beltaines, Award of Arms made for Eins Von Reikswart Illumination and words by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah
June 18th 2022 - Beltaines, Knighthood scroll made for Sir Galbraith Illumination by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya and Mistress Shadiyah Words by his Highness Mohammad and the Honorable Arthur de Beaumont
May 7th 2022 - Crown Tourney (but given at fall Coronation), Silver Tyger scroll made for Bierov le Hellequin, Illumination and words by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya, Calligraphy by Mistress Shadiyah,
My approch : I'm a bellydancer in real life and so, transfering that into historical reenactment has been a journey full of research, creation, study and practice. I use raqs sharki and raqs baladi styles, which are the oldest style of oriental dances. I specifically like to use raqs baladi for the diversity in rythm and melody, and the more folkloric nature of it. It's a heavy style, rooted to the earth, all in the hips, originally danced by natives. I also love doing research on the folk costumes adapted to the dance.
- Coronation of Mohammad and Corotica, 2022 (Video by Paul Brunelle : https://youtu.be/x3GxA2RII8U), baladi and drum solo
- Havre des Glaces Baronial Investiture Anniversary, 2019 (With Mistress Shadiyah and Rachel), raqs sharki
- 12th Night's feast, 2019 (With Mistress Shadiyah), raqs sharki
- Spring Crown Tourney's feast, 2016, taksim with shamadan and drum solo
Projects for the reign of Mohammad and Corotica
Here are some of the Arts I made for Sultan Mohammad and Queen Corotica before and during their reign.
Mohammad original tunic made by Charlov Zbikowsky, repaired and modified by Syrine (add collar, shorter sleeves, replacing fastenings and other adjustment) and turban by Syrine. Queen Corotica's tunic, pants and turban by Syrine. Tunic and pants made of black linen and turban made of black cotton. Based on patterns and reprensentations of 14th Century Turk mamluks.
(Photo by Sandy Casanova) Both are made of white linen and the gold trim is sewn by hand.
Sir Mohammad's Tyger of the East regalia and later Sultan Mohammad's Coronation outfit
(Photo on the right by Paul Brunelle) Regalia for Sir Mohammad entering in the Order of Tyger of the East. (Tunic by Syrine and tiraz by Mistress Aurelia Alfaita d'Alcáçova) Later modified by Syrine for Sultan Mohammad's Coronation. (Sleeves, collar and adjustments) Pants made by Syrine also. Based on patterns and reprensentations of 14th Century Turk mamluks.
Contribution on Sultan Mohammad and Queen Corotica's reign banners
(Photo by Bernard Ouellet (banner)) Syrine's original scroll designs used for the banners frame
Making a turkish Feast Setup for Mohammad and Corotica's Coronation
(Photo by Paul Brunelle) So we had this awesome menu for a turkish feast and what a better occasion to go all in than at a Coronation. That's how we decided to create a setup with low tables, plants, carpets, all the accessories and a thousand of cushions for an ultimate Turkish Feast ambiance. A big thank you to Dany Massicotte, Sir Baptiste and Svend of Al-Karakal for the tables, Sir Galbraith for the carpets and logistic and everybody who help for the setup and tear down. For my own part, beside working on the general concept and esthetics, I also did the research for the Royal Table feast gear references and found good contemporary alternatives for them.
Creating a photobooth for Mohammad and Corotica's Coronation
Special occasions means beautiful pictures and that is why I created a turkish theme Photobooth for Mohammad and Corotica's Coronation
White belt for Sir Baptist's elevation in the Order of Chivalry
Cutting leather, engraving, dyeing, applying finish and making/fixing fastener and tokens
Household Silver Wheel medalion made for Al-Karakal by Syrine Al-Sakina Bint Houriya and her brother Pierre Michel Bernard. Recipients : Ikhlas Al-Chakib, Galbraith McGowan, Kiril Al-Ghadab Hallamet, Bierov le Hellequin
Sir Galbraith's Crown Tourney device
Building my armor, caftan and pants for heavy fighting
I made my lamelar based on representations of turkish armor with plates I bought, assembled them to my own measurments, cut and assembled the leather collar, cut and assembled the leather trim, made and assembled the straps, etc. Also made my caftan based on a pattern of mamluk caftan from 14th century. This is the official caftan of Al-Karakal fighters.
Study and reproduction of traditional turkish woman clothing from 13th-14th century
Long wool coat, crossing on the front, ankle lenght, but opened on the sides. Felted wool hat with traditional ornaments/jewelry and veil fixed on half.
Other personal garb
Here is a small selection of some of the garb I made for my persona. From left to right : Silk turkish caftan (14th century), Ghawazee vest, Turkish fighting caftan (14th century), Black Galabeya
Hypocrass with Sir Baptiste, Lord Svend and Lord Ikhlas Al Chabib, Homemade mead for Beltaines, Homemade mead tests with wild honey from local beehive, "How to make mead" class with Ikhlas and Syrine at Feste des Glaces 2019
In Case of Court
Please contact Sir Baptiste or Sir Mohammad of Al-Karakal