Sugawara no Naeme
Sugawara no Naeme
|Resides: Barony of Carolingia|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Argent, a fan vert charged in chief with an escallop inverted argent
|Award & Office Badges|
In 2001, while on pilgrimage, Sugawara no Naeme found herself unexpectedly in a portion of the Kingdom of Meridies that would later become the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann. Over the years she gained offices and a title, shared her art in costuming and scribal endeavors, and service decorating feast halls and running events. She taught classes on Japanese culture and fostered many in creating their own Japanese persona. At the end of 2013 Sugawara and her companion Ogawa-dono moved to the East Kingdom to tend to family.
One day she hopes to return to the Heavenly Isle and the storied capital, Heian-kyo. Until then, Sugawara shares her knowledge, art, and service with her adopted Kingdom.
Naeme-hime was born to the ancient and noble Sugawara Uji in 980, the current year is 1022.
She hopes to gain the favor of one of the great court nobles to serve as a knowledgeable companion much as Murasaki Shikibu and Sei Shonagon serve the Empress and Princess with stories and poems.
When not in active service at court, the Honorable Lady Sugawara spends her time on pilgrimage, visiting shrines and temples, writing tanka (poetry), sewing, weaving and painting. She has a fondness for the arts and dabbles in many things.
- Apprentice of Maitresse Alysia Gabrielle de Fougeres, OL, OP, Gleann Abhann, April 24, 2009
Offices & Positions
- MOAS, Barony of Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann, September 2010 to October 2012
- Quartermaster, Barony of Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann, May 2009 to April 2013
- Consort's Champion of Arts & Sciences 2021-March 2022
- Deputy MOAS, Barony of Carolingia, October 2021 to Present
- Baronial Largesse Coordinator, Barony of Carolingia, October 2021 to Present
- Poet of Carolingia, Barony of Carolingia, April 2022
Awards & Honors
Sugawara no Naeme holds sixth court rank, senior grade in the Court of the Son of Heaven.
- Award of Arms, Gleann Abhann
- Grey Pearl, Barony of Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
- Order of Denial, Barony of Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
- Order of the Estoile, Barony of Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
- Order of the Onyx Chalice, Gleann Abhann
- Sovereign's Letter of Endorsement, Ashikaga Hiromoto, Gleann Abhann
- Sovereign's Order of Excellence, Consul Tindal, East
- Order of the Maunche, East
- Autocrat, Candlemas: A Heian New Year Celebration, Barony of Grey Niche, February 7, 2009
- Autocrat, Spring Coronation, Gleann Abhann, April 14, 2012
- Co-Feastcrat, Samhain, Barony of Grey Niche, October 2012
- Co-Autocrat, The East Goes East, Barony of Carolingia, February 19th, 2022
Projects & Classes
- Kasane for the SCA: When to Wear Which Color - taught at The East Goes East
- Introduction to Japanese Women's Clothing - taught at Harper's Retreat and The East Goes East Slideshow
- Pilgrimage and Power: The Travelling Outfit - taught at Harper's Retreat
- Travelling Outfit - Consort's Champion - Crown's A&S Champions 2021; Winner - Calontir Clothing Challenge, Historically Focused Beginner
- Poetry Month Challenge
- 1000 Tanka
- Meet the Artist Mondays
In Case of Court
High Anxiety in surprise situations and large crowds. In case of court, please contact Mistress Elena Hylton.
Would be honored to receive an award during Ethereal Court.
If a scroll is being created for me, Japanese inspired or something that matches the persona of the Royals is preferred.
Blog & Contact