Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
Maestra Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
|Resides: Crown Province of Ostgardr|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Or, a fleur-de-lys within an orle gules.
|Award & Office Badges|
I am proud to represent the Crown Province of Ostgardr as Co-Vicereine, Invested at Barleycorn, 2022
Vicereine Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
Lady Sofya was born to the cool, dry winds and imposing hills of Trieste, Italy, a lively seaport in the crook of land bridging the Mediterranean and Balkan peoples. The second child of the prosperous Vascotto family, she learned sewing and needlework, music, dancing, writing, household management: all the skills necessary for attracting a suitable match for a Lady of her rank. Sure enough, young Sofya’s parents secured a marriage with the dashing son of the Gianetta family, Nicholò and Sofya’s life spread out like a well-trodden path before her. She started happily, devoting herself to her new husband’s care, learning his family’s merchant business, managing his house, and bearing him two healthy children: Lorenzo and Alessa.
But even the clearest path can muddy in a heavy rain: all was not well within the house of Gianetta. Rumors swirled about town, and in the upper echelons of society, that her husband was secretly engaged in sordid affairs—gambling, some said, embezzlement of the foulest sort, said others. Either way, he was heavily in debt, and unable to repay what he owed. If the rumors were true, not only could the family’s business be ruined, but their name would be sullied, making it impossible for Sofya to find suitors for her children as they came of age, thus quashing the possibility of advantageous alliance. The brewing discord came to a horrifying head when Nicholò was gutted in front of his home—some said by his creditors—and left to die, while Sofya could do nothing but watch.
With nowhere else to turn, Sofya found herself on the doorstep of her formidable elder brother, Tommaso de l'Arzento. While Sofya had been enjoying married life, Tommaso had been employing his considerable diplomatic skill and silver tongue in pursuit of broadening his political reach—and deepening his pockets. A powerful figure in the Triestine political scene, Tommaso had won the favor, and the ear, of many a notable dignitary—some even said that of the bishop himself.
Tommaso quickly took action, building a prominent monument for Sofya’s late husband, quietly paying off some of his more unsavory debts, and effectively silencing the rumors about his moral lapses. It was his deep pockets that kept the family mercantile business afloat until Lorenzo was old enough to take over. He had saved his sister’s family from disgrace.
Sofya wanted nothing more than to put the unpleasantness of the past behind her, and so she redoubled her efforts in pursuit of that which she had pursued her whole adult life: suitable marriages for her children. It was not long before Lorenzo was married to Beatrice, a beauty from another reputable Triestine family. Soon after that, her daughter Alessa secured an engagement with Petro di’ Scarpa, another merchant and no less than a member of the Great Council in Venice. With such an auspicious match, Sofya knew that, finally, her troubles were over.
Soon the family business was not only doing well, but expanding. While her husband had been alive, Sofya had learned some of the tricks of his trade, and had excelled especially at managing client relations. To assist her son and his expecting wife, and to keep herself busy, she began to take on more duties dealing with special customers in search of unique luxury wares. Soon she was traveling far and wide to meet these clients, and it was on one of these trips her life would change again.
Sofya had been planning a short trip to Venice to see how her daughter Alessa was adjusting to married life, and to meet with the Queen of Cyprus about the purchase of some fine Venetian silks. But when she met the Queen’s seamstress, Annabella di Cherubino, she knew that she had found a friend for life. They spoke long into the evening, and into the following days, about Venetian fashion, tailoring, and culture; as well as Court gossip, the latest in popular art, and everything under the sun.
After Venice, Sofya followed her new friend on visits to Verona, Genoa, and Siena; and eventually to Florence, which she would come to call her second home. In her travels, she met fascinating people—the best and most skilled seamstresses and tailors in the entire Italian peninsula. Sofya learned all she could from them, and found she had a natural aptitude for garmentry. Soon she made a name for herself in the fashionable circles of most of the Italies.
Today, Sofya and Annabella live in Florence, creating sumptuous and fashionable clothing for the wealthiest ladies of the Italian peninsula. Her daughter Alessa writes often, asking her mother for advice on married life and modern womanhood. Lorenzo and Beatrice, busier than ever with their expanding business and family, write less often than Sofya would like. You can find her most days in the women’s atélier, chatting with Annabella as they sew and drape and tailor the most splendid dresses and garments, or doing her hair in elaborate braids for an élite soirée with whatever noble dignitary happens to be in town tonight. At events, she enjoys meeting fascinating new people, chatting with old friends, seeing and being seen, and reveling in the hubbub of company.
- Award of Arms: Mudthaw-March 23rd, 2013
- Order of the Seahorse-Crown Province of Ostgardr: Barleycorn-September 5, 2014
- Award of the Golden Lyre: King & Queen’s Bardic Champions: Shire of Nordenfjord Jan 31, 2015
- Ostgardr A&S Champion: Ostgardr’s Day of Champions: April 18, 2015
- Order of the Silver Crescent: Pennsic, 2015
- East Kingdom Queens A&S Champion: King & Queens A&S & Bardic Champions Event: Barony of Concordia of the Snows, February 22, 2017
- Order of the Maunche: An Dubhaigeainn Investiture, September 2017
- Order of the Laurel: An Dubhaigeainn Investiture, September 2017
- Clothier to the Crown: An Dubhaiegeainn- St. Andrew Crosses the Alps, September 2019
- Clothier to the Crown (East) Coronation of Luis de Castilla and Margarita, October 2019
- Sovereign's Cypher (East) Coronation of Luis de Castilla and Margarita De' Siena, October 2019
- Silver Lantern (Ostgardr) East Kingdom Twelfth Night Suuder and Lada, January 2020
- Sovereign’s Order of Excellence: An Dubhaigeainn St. Andrew’s Goes to Notre Dame, November 2021
- Order of the Burdened Tyger: Crown Province of Ostgardr-Barleycorn Investiture, September 2022
Offices & Positions
- Deputy Chatelaine-Crown Province of Ostgardr: December 2013-December 2014
- Chatelaine-Crown Province of Ostgardr: December 2015 – January 2017
- Southern Region Chatelaine-East Kingdom: December 2016 - 2018
- Deputy A&S Minister-Crown Province of Ostgardr: December 2015-January 2017
- A&S Minister-Crown Province of Ostgardr: January 2017- 2018
- Queens A&S Champion: Barony of Concordia of the Snows, February 22, 2017
- Member of Athena’s Thimble
- Crown Province of Ostgardr Historian: January 2019 - Present
- Decor Coordinator for the Coronation of Ryoukojin and Indrakshi: April 2022
- Retainer for Ryoukojin and Indrakshi: Spring/Summer 2022
- Retainer for Corotica and Mohammad: Fall 2022/Spring 2023
- Vicereine, Crown Province of Ostgardr: September 2022 - Present
- Co-Autocrat: Season’s Beatings 3-It’s Free-Crown Province of Ostgardr: February 2014
- Children’s Fete Volunteer, 3 years: Pennsic 2012-2015
- Coordinator for Classes Held at Enigma Bookstore-Crown Province of Ostgardr: Spring/Summer 2014
- Banner Wars-Successfully helped start a banner war inspiring Ostgardians to bring their banners to Ft. Tryon Medieval Festival to display to all-1st Place Winner
- Represented the East Kingdom at Gulf Wars A&S Challenge for war points: March 2017
- Coordinator of Ostgardr-East Kingdom 50th Anniversary Hall of History Display. I was honored to take on this important responsibility of gathering the history of Ostgardr for presentation at EK 50th. The display included many interviews, memorabilia, awards, and heraldry. Not only was this an honor to work with so many involved in SCA history, but it was important to me to document this information before it was forgotten.
- Co-Autocrat: East Kingdom Twelfth Night-Crown Province of Ostgardr: January 2020
- Coronation Decor Coordinator for Their Majesties Ryouko'jin Of-The Iron-Skies and Indrakshi Aani Aravinda's Coronation in the Crown Province of Ostgardr, April 9th, 2022. One of the biggest hands-on projects I ever worked on, organizing and finishing 20- six-foot silk banners. These banners could never have been done without the work of so many Ostgardrdians who volunteered time and energy. The banners were on display on bamboo poles in traditional Japanese style. Other items created included sheet walls, smaller banners, and blue and yellow curtains to help create an immersive event. Not to forget many Queen's favors.
- Kitchen Support: BarleyCorn Investiture, September 2022.
- Kitchen Support: Crown Tourney, May 6, 2023.
Projects & Publications
- Ongoing research and study of Italian Renaissance history, culture, and dress, specifically Florence and surrounding cities.
- Study and create needlelace.
- Researched and presented a needlelace apron based on an extant piece with accompanying research at Pennsic 2017 for East Kingdom A&S War points.
- Specific interest in creating historically accurate versions of women’s clothing from mid-16th Century Italy.
- Teaching: Ongoing workshops held at various events and locations that promote the knowledge and creation of Italian clothing.
- Team building workshops: host ongoing projects in the Province to create items to beautify the Province and promote friendship and unity.
- Create banners and Queen's favors because you can never have enough banners, and the Queen is always in need of favors.
- Participating in online, local A&S classes: The Importance of Color in 16th Century Italy, Beginning Needlelace
- Hostess for Ostgardr A&S nights
- Co-founder of Casa de Giglio di Firenze
- Proud to call Lady Hemma Schweinfurt von Nurnberg my apprentice in costuming
In Case of Court
I may cry through the whole thing but I do love surprises. Contact Lady Angelica di Nova Lipa for details