Scolastica and HRM Margarita at Bhakail Yule
|Resides: Barony of Bhakail, Philadelphia PA|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Per bend sinister gules and azure, a drawn bow reversed with arrow nocked and a unicorn couchant contourny regardant argent
|Award & Office Badges|
My name is Scolastica Capellaria. I have been involved in the SCA since May of 2019. I went to school at Kent State unversity where I majored in medieval Art History and minored in Crafts, focusing on textiles and jewelry and metals. I wrote my undergraduate Honors Thesis on Ivory Mirror cases from the fourteenth century and explored the topics of courtly love, chess, and ivory carving production which exploded during this period. Fast forward six years, a career change, and a move across the country, I was watching costume making videos on youtube and stumbled across Morgan Donner making a medieval cotehardie. For the first time, I realized I could not only do the things that I loved, making historical costumes, researching medieval artwork, and eating delicious foods, but I could do those things with other people as obsessed with old things as I am.
In the SCA I am most interested in the arts and sciences. I love historical garment making and am a passionate embroiderer. I also am interested in weaving, illumination and playing the recorder. Above all, I love exploration into medieval art and find myself entranced by the precision of medieval artisans. My goal is to capture that precision in my own works.
In March of 2021 I became a student of Elizabet Marshall and became an apprentice on June 3, 2022.
I am a member of the Black Boot Company,the newcomer household in Bhakail where I spread the knowledge of the SCA with newcomers to our society. The plague years make me feel new in the SCA, however I am probably not so much of a newcomer anymore.
Scolastica is a lady from sometime in Western Medieval Europe (probably somewhere between 1200 and 1600). Her greatest joy in life is learning new things, researching very old things, and discussing these things with others. She loves to make things of all shapes and sizes. She has a fondness of hats and headgear of all shapes and sizes. She often can be found embroidering in the shade, eating cubes of cheese wherever they can be found, and smiling and waving at her friends. She is a lover of games, and if you ask nicely she will gladly play Nine Man's Morris, Chess, or her favorite: fox and geese. Like many a medieval lady she enjoys sport on occasion and will try her hand at archery (though she is quite terrible at it, she does her best to have fun and enjoy the sport). Scolastica is a lover of poetry and the songs of troubadours and does very much enjoy discussing the rules of courtly love. She has begun to play the recorder and enjoys recommendations for song and dance (though she has several left feet). After spending her life indoors among her books, Scolastica has recently found great joy in camping and being outside, though her constitution is often weak and causes her to seek shade and refreshment frequently. Scolastica appreciates gifts of water and sporting beverages such as aid of the alligator, as if they were cups of gold.
Projects & Publications
Scolastica has a blog! The Inevitable Scadian
In 2021, Scolastica completed a year long embroidery project embroidering needle cases in different styles of embroidery:
- Needle Case using Applique technique January 2021
- Needle Case using Blackwork embroidery technique February 2021
- Needle Case using German Brick Stitch February 2021
- Needle Case using Bayeux Stitch March 2021
- Needle Case using Italian Cross Stitch April 2021
- Needle Case using Split Stitch and Goldwork May-August 2021
- Needle Case using Lacis Linen Stitch July 2021
- Needle Case using Reticella September 2021
- Needle Case using Padded detached button hole stitch November 2021
- Needle Case using Darning over pleats December 2021
Information on this project can be found at 12 Little Needle Cases.
- 14th Century Shift, Cotehardie and Overdress 05/11/2019
- Pair of Bodies (in progress), won award at Novice Day arts and sciences competition July 2019
- Landsknecht "Apple Pie" Wams, (entered into Iron Bog Baronial Arts and Science competition) 10/18/2019
- Betsy Rossenrock, a Lanskenect Waffenrock based on the original American Flag July 2020
- Opus Anglicanum embroidery (in progress)
- Blackwork Plague Project (In Progress)
- An Irish Leine
- Order of Courtesy Rose November 2020
- A set of Blue Tiger Handkerchiefs for the Virtual Shire Wars Largess Derby November 2020
- A giant Silly Hat for Yule 12/12/2020
- A little Sprang Bag December 2020
- Yee Old Night Owl Hood, a medieval hood for the Foundations Revealed Costume Competition, February 2021
- Little Goldwork Acorn February 2021
- Yee Old Night Owl Medieval Hood inspired by the Night Owl in the Watchman, March 2021
- Reticulated Headdress April 2021
- 12 Little Needle Cases Project Completed December 2021
- A Rainbow Pelican Embroidery Project for the elevation of Sabine de Kerbriant May of 2022
Arts and Science Research and Papers
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Underdrawings for Embroidery May 2021
- Planning a German Brick Stitch Embroidery May 2021
- The 1410s Reticulated Headdress, the Wackiest Headdress of the 1400s May 2021
- The Invisible Parts of Embroidery A collaboration with Amalia von Hohensee, June-October 2021
Keepers of Athenas Thimble
Scolastica is an active member of the East Kingdom Embroiderers Guild Keepers of Athena's Thimble. She is currently ranked as a Craftsman in the Guild.
- Competency in Applique for her Appliqued Owl with Leather Couching (2021)
- Competency in Monochrome Embroidery for Blackwork flower Needlecase (2021)
- Competency in Canvaswork for German Brick Stitch Needlecase (2021)
- Competency in Couching and Laidwork for Bayeau Lion Needlecase (2022)
- Competency in Counted for Italian Cross Stitch Needlecase (2021)
- Competency in Free Embroidery for Favors for Her Majesty Margaritta (2019)
- Competency in Lacis for her Lacis Flower Needle Case (2022)
- Competency in Metal Thread for her St. Catherine Needle Case (2022)
- Working Knowledge in Needle Lace for the in progress needle lace bunny (2019)
- Competency in Padded Work for her Caterpillar Needle Case (2022)
- Competency in Pleated Embroidery for her Pleated Needle Case (2022)
- Order of the Maunch awarded at Earl Horic Memorial Sovereign & Consort’s Championship of Arms 6/4/22
- Mistress of the Horse (Bhakail) awarded at the Sign of the Squirrel and Hound 4/2/22
- Order of the Silver Brooch Awarded at Ethereal Court IX 5/16/2021
- Virtual Mudthaw Arts and Science Competition Winner 3/20/2021
- Order of the Harlequin (Bhakail) awarded at Virtual Bhakail Yule on 12/12/2020
- Laurel's Choice Award awarded at Novice Day 7/24/2019.
Offices & Positions
- Minister of Arts and Science, Barony of Bhakail, May 2022 to present
- Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Bhakail, October 2020 to May 2022
- Deputy Event Steward for Bhakail Yule 2021
In Case of Court
Scolastica does not like surprises. A nudge to tell her to pay special attention during court is a welcome warning. Pronouns: She/her/hers. Her name is Latin and pronounced phonetically. Though she often misspells it.
Scloastica is unopposed to Ethereal Awards, especially if all of her friends can be there.
Scolastica can be reached at email@example.com