Samuel Peter Bump
Samuel Peter Bump
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Quarterly purpure and sable, a sinister hand in benediction sustaining a sheaf of arrows fesswise reversed argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Master Samuel Peter Bump (B.K.A. Speedbump, formerly known as Samuel Peter DeBump) started in the SCA as a swampie camping with Clan Kindred of the Wolf at Pennsic. While going to Pennsic, he tried out other SCA activities while he lived in Atlantia. Although he was an authorized combat archer in Markland, he didn't like the fighter practices in Atlantia and only started SCA combat archery after moving to Malagentia. Once in Malagentia he used his theater background to good use, from organizing props storage to building new things to help the Province. Because of the Peer fear that Speedbump had when he started in the SCA, he would prefer that people got to know him before learning that he is a peer. Please don't use his titles when introducing Speedbump to someone new.
Speedbump started in the SCA by being dragged to Pennsic by a girlfriend while in college. He gave the SCA a try while living in Atlantia but it didn't quite stick. It was after having been to Pennsic 6 times that he tried again in the East Kingdom in the Province of Malagentia that it finally stuck. Because of this, he is a Pennsic Swampie at heart.
Speedbump has not narrowed down any one persona because there is too much great stuff to pull from. Viking clothing has such simple pattern shapes. Any excuse to have a gypsy wagon. The Italians had mercenary crossbow units.
He builds combat crossbows, and occasionally can be convinced to travel to teach a class in mass producing them.
- Clan Kindred of the Wolf, Red Banner (Pennsic only, 1995-present)
- Winding Waters (2006-present)
- Fulton House (2015-present)
- Friend of Clan Blackhart
Offices & Positions
- Queen's Guard, Empress Ro Honig von Sommerfeldt
- Malagentian Quartermaster 2011-present
- East Kingdom, Northern Region Combat Archery Lieutenant 2008-2018
- East Kingdom Pennsic Steward 2022
- EK Pennsic Steward 2022
- EK Deputy Pennsic Steward 2019
- Autocrat, Great Northeastern War 32, July 2018
- Combat Archery Marshal-in-Charge, Great Northeastern War 23-31, 2009-2017
- Combat Archery Marshal-in-Charge, Les Beltaines, June 2017
- Quartermaster, Great Northeastern War, 2011-2019, 2022
- Kitchen Staff, Harvest Moon Day Feast, Oct 2016, 2017
- Kitchen Staff, Winter Feast, Malagentia, Jan 2016
- Combat Archery Marshal-in-Charge, Northern Region War Camp, July 2015
- Kitchen Staff, Winter Feast, Malagentia, Jan 2015
- Deputy Autocrat, Great Northeastern War 27, June 2013
- Facilities Bitch, Great Northeastern War 25, June 2011
Projects & Publications
- Malagentian Thrones (carpentry and engineering) with Master Julian LaPointe and Mistress Carolyne LaPointe (research), Lord Einarr Saelingr (woodburnings), and Lady Elgiva Wilhelm (cushions).
- "Combat Archery for the Heavy List Fighter" / p12 "Moonstone, Summer 2014"
- "Speedbump's Chai" / p22 > "Moonstone, Summer 2014"
- "So You Think You Want to Build a Vardo" / p11 "Moonstone, Winter 2015"
- "Speedbump's Decaf Chai v2.0" / p7 "Moonstone, June 2020"
Preferred Bribes / Mercenary payment: Caffeine Free (but not diet) Dr. Pepper. Decommissioned metal "Bump" construction sign - please don't steal one from the side of the road!
Samuel Peter Bump was handfasted to Lady Wynefryd Bredhers at GNE 29 (2015)