Perez ben Meir Gershon
See Template_talk:Populace for full suggested contents.
Perez ben Meir Gershon at East Kingdom Twelfth Night, January 4, 2020
|Resides: Crown Province of Østgarðr|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Per pale gules and sable, on a pale purpure fimbriated a sun conjoined to a cup Or
|Award & Office Badges|
Perez ben Meir Gershon (Pron: PAIR-ehtz behn may-EER geer-SHOWN), MKA Gavin Skal, got started in the SCA in the autumn of 2018 in the Crown Province of Østgarðr, showing up to the local heavy combat practice after being encouraged by friends to check out the SCA and having seen the demo at the Cloisters Medieval Festival. His first event was The Feast of John Barleycorn in 2019, and he became a formal SCA member that October. In addition to armored combat, Perez enjoys period cooking of all varieties, and has particular interest in Jewish and Ottoman history. Since being awarded arms with his induction into the Order of the Silver Tyger by Queen Margarita de' Siena, he takes the title "Effendi".
In mundane life, Perez works as an audio engineer, and is interested in helping those in the bardic arts make professional-quality recordings, as well as assisting with livestreaming of events.
Perez is a Sephardic Jew who hails from the city of Salonica in Ottoman-controlled Greece during the reign of Kanunî Sultan Süleyman (Suleiman the Magnificent). A cosmopolitan by nature, Perez grew up surrounded by Spanish-speaking Jews, Orthodox Greeks, and Muslim Turks, along with passing Serbs, Croats, Albanians, and even the odd Venetian. His father was a physician of some renown.
Man-at-arms to Pádraig Ó Brádaigh
- Heavy Fighting
Projects, Publications, & Service
- Spring Crown Tournament, dayboard contributing cook, The Crown Province of Østgarðr, May 6th, 2023
- Deck the Halls of Valhalla, head dayboard cook, Canton of Brokenbridge, January 14th, 2023
- Coronation of Ryouko'jin Of The Iron-Skies and Indrakshi Aani Aravinda, audio recording for EK webministry, The Crown Province of Østgarðr, April 9, 2022
- Deck the Halls of Valhalla V, cookbook author, virtual (hosted by the Canton of Brokenbridge), January 29, 2022
- John Barleycorn Returns, Provincial Heavy Weapons Championship Tournament organizer, The Crown Province of Østgarðr, September 11, 2021
- Deck the Halls of Valhalla IV, class instructor, virtual (hosted by the Canton of Brokenbridge), January 17, 2021
- The Feast of Three Princes online event, co-event steward and recipe tester for Pre-Columbian Mesoamerican menu, virtual (hosted by The Crown Province of Østgarðr), November 8
- Elizabethan Trifle Tutorial for East Kingdom Tyger Camp at Virtual Pennsic, August, 2020
- Cooking with Perez, an online cooking lab, held in conjunction with the East's Ethereal Courts during the Great Plague of A.S. LV (COVID), virtual, April 26, 2020 - February 22, 2021
War Service Record
- Sergeant, Gold Lance of the Southern Army, Pennsic XLIX, 2022 - Present
- East Kingdom Unbelted Champions, Pennsic XLIX, 2022
- Running with Scissors, Woods Battle, Pennsic XLIX, 2022 - Present
In Case of Court
Please contact Pádraig Ó Brádaigh and my wife Rebecca. Pronouns are he/him/his (and non-English equivalents as may be relevant).
Cooking with Perez
- Cooking with Perez- The East's Ethereal Court II, April 26, 2020 (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- The East's Ethereal Court III, May 9, 2020 (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- The East's Ethereal Court IV, May 24, 2020 (from "The Forme of Cury" & Dutch Greens) (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- The East's Ethereal Court V, June 13, 2020 (Sambocade) (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- The East's Ethereal Court VI, June 28, 2020 (mixed English/French) (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- The East's Ethereal Court VII, July 19, 2020 (from "Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco" and "Libro della Cocina") (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- The East's Ethereal Court VIII, August 9, 2020 (from "Libro della Cocina") (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- First Ethereal Court of the Eastern Consules, Sept 13, 2020 (Apicius) (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- Second Ethereal Court of the Eastern Consules, Oct 11, 2020 (Apicius) (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- Fourth Ethereal Court of the Eastern Consules, Dec 13, 2020 (late Period Polish) (Recipes)
- Cooking with Perez- Sixth Ethereal Court of the Eastern Consules, Feb 21, 2021 (Mughal) (Recipes)
Recipes for Events
- Pre-Columbian Mesoamerican Recipes for "The Feast of Three Princes", 2020
- Recipes for "Deck the Halls of Valhalla", 2022
Random Home Experiments
- From "A Drizzle of Honey" by David Gitlitz
- From "The Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook"
- Gravé of Small Birds (from "Enseignements qui enseingnent a apareillier toutes manieres de viandes", ca. 1300) and Roasted Turnips (from "Ouverture de Cuisine", 1604).
You may contact me via email.