Nicol mac Donnachaidh
Pennsic 2015, Newly acquired Armstreet tunic
|Resides: Province of Malagentia|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Gules, a fess urdy between two apples Or and a clenched gauntlet issuant from base argent
|Award & Office Badges|
Nicol mac Donnachaidh has hailed from many corners of the Province of Malagentia, and is a far traveled scribe, bard, and general rabble rouser in the truest tradition of the East Kingdom. Long squired to Syr Matthew des Arden, he is a proud member of the House of the Crucible, of the Duchy von Drakenklaue, and student to Magnus Hvalmagi. While his sword and his helm have long been hung up for the silly reason of "being too old for this shit", he still proudly takes pen to paper, extolling the deeds of the East Kingdom populace when they have been recognized by Their Majesties.
He takes great pride in his well researched, persona specific scroll texts, and aims to deliver work that speaks directly to the recipient. Since he also greatly appreciates a well placed joke, he also takes the opportunity to write scrolls based on puns, stories of misaligned prowess, and other frivolity. Rumors abound that he is known to tell many big fish stories about the number of combatants he has slain on the field of Pennsic.
In the SCA, as in his modern life, he loves teaching. He has taught classes on music, poetry, the art of wordcraft, the craft of wordart, and everything in between. He has presented original works at bardic circles throughout the kingdom, and failed to deliver on promises to not make Mistress Camille cry for several years now. Awarded his Silver Tyger from Kennric and Avelina, and his Silver Brooch from Ivan and Natavia, he brings his ferocity for life to everything that he does, and would love to write the words for your next scroll!
14th c. Scot-Norman.
Awards, Offices & Positions
- Squire of the House of the Crucible, a subhouse of VDK
- Award of Arms, Great Northeast War XXIX, Malagentia. July 11, 2014
- Order of the Silver Tyger, Coronation of Kennric III and Avelina III, Quintavia. April 9, 2016
- Order of the Silver Brooch, East Kindgom Twelfth Night, Endewearde. January 6, 2018
- Webminister, Malagentia. 2018 - 2019
- Webminister, Tyger Clerk of the Signet. May, 2019 - May, 2020.
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, Malagentia. Jan, 2020 - Dec, 2021.
- Student to Magnus Hvalmagi. 2020.
Projects & Publications
- Summer 2014 Moonstone, "On being a new fighter", http://malagentia.eastkingdom.org/main/the-summer-moonstone-is-available/
- Winter 2015 Moonstone, "Remaining Her Faithful Servant: Elegant Prose, Fancy Letters, and Pomping up the Dream", http://malagentia.eastkingdom.org/main/?p=957
- Malagentia Winter Feast, January 7, 2017. Sang "Malagentia, Malagentia!", winner of the previous years song auction.
- Laurel's Prize Tourney, Carolingia, March 25 2017. Presented "The Winter Witch and the Summer Druid"
Others at http://www.nicolwantsawordwithyou.com
- Most Chivalrous, Tourney on a Summer's Day, Hadchester, June 7, 2014
- Runner-up, Golden Sword Tournament, The Palio of the Barony of Stonemarche, June 15, 2014
- Champion, Newcomers Tournament, Panteria XX, Panther Vale May 23, 2015
- Squired to Syr Matthew des Arden, Great Northeast War XXIX, Malagentia, July 10, 2015.
- Queen's Guard to Avelina III, Coronation of Kennric III and Avelina III, Quintavia, April 9, 2016.
- Inducted to the Order of the Buccelari (VDK Haus Order), Pennsic XLV.
- Queen's Guard to Honig, Coronation of Ioannes and Honig, Dragonship Haven, April 1, 2017.
- Bardic Champion of Malagentia, Autumn's Inspirations, October 20, 2018.
- Queen's Guard to Fortune, Coronation of Ozurr and Fortune, April 1, 2019.
- Recipient of The Flame, for service to the Barony of Bhakail, July 2019.
Events featuring classes
- Endewearde Arts University, May 12 2017. Presented class: "Mastering Bardic Presentation; or Dude, You Should Have Been There
- Great Northeastern War, 2018.
- Pennsic War, 2018.
- Autumn's Inspirations, 2018.
- Panther Vale Schola, March 2019.
Classes currently being offered
- Introduction to Wordsmithing: A beginners guide to how to write persona specific scroll texts
- Research for Wordsmiths: While tailored to internet based, primary source research, this class is for anyone who wants to polish their researching acumen.
- Word Choice for Bards: Games of whimsy, creativity, and fun with language. Fabulous prizes.
In Case of Court
Should further recognition be offered, I prefer not to know in advance, but please send word through my knight for any considerations.