Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi
|Resides: Canton of Lions End, Crown Province of Ostgardr, East Kingdom|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Purpure, three fans Or marked purpure in pall inverted two handles to center within an annulet Or
|Award & Office Badges|
Nagashima Ichirō Ujimichi (長島 一路 宇治道)
I was born on the island of Nagashima in what is now mundanely Izumi District, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan in 1467 (Muromachi Period). My father was a samurai who died in the Ōnin War while fighting for Yamana Mochitoyo.
Although I have some training as a warrior, I have shown to be far better with some of the gentler arts. I have concentrated my interests in cooking and brewing. For the past few years I have been a devoted officer of Østgarðr.
Offices & Positions
For cooking staff check cooking section below.
- Event Steward, Lions End Farmingdale Demo A.S. LIV, 6/8/2019
- Set up the day before and hauler of many things, Coronation of Ryouko'jin Of-The Iron-Skies and Indrakshi Aani Aravinda A.S. LVI, 04/09/2022
Mundanely, I started cooking at around six years old, helping my mother in the kitchen. I attended BOCES culinary program for my last two years of high school, and spent my first year of college as a hotel and restaurant management major. I discovered that I enjoy cooking too much to do it for a living. That being said, because I had experience, I worked in restaurants for about ten years, having worked almost every position in a restaurant.
Within the SCA, I started work at The Bread Boule at Pennsic XXVI in A.S. XXXII (1997) and had worked there for about four years.
I cooked my first feast in A.S. XXXIII (1998) for the original iteration of the Canton of Broken Bridge (also nicknamed the vertical canton for being centered at 85 Eastern Pkwy, Brooklyn. It was a middle eastern feast for about 60 people. I served as kitchen manager for the Caravanserai at Pennsic, which included scheduling staff for each meal.
- Head Cook, Incipient Canton of Broken Bridge First Feast A.S. XXXIII, circa 1998
- Cook,The Feast of John Barleycorn A.S. XXXVII, 9/6/2003
- Cook, Runnymede Baronial Dinner - Pennsic War XL A.S. XLVII, 8/2011
- Head Cook for Dayboard & Feast, The Feast of John Barleycorn - Viceregal Investiture A.S. L, 9/10/2016
- Head Cook, Blood and Axes A.S. LI, 6/3/2017
- Cook, An Dubhaigeainn / Ostgardr Challenge A.S. LII, 5/12/2018
- Cook, Arrows, Axes, & Ales A.S. LIII, 9/16/2018
- Cook, Goat's Tavern A.S. LIII, 10/20/2018
- Cook, St. Andrews A.S. LIII, 11/10/2018
- Dayboard Cook, Coronation of Ôzurr and Fortune A.S. LIV, 4/6/2019
- Cook, A Day of the Decameron. LIV, 4/27/2019
- Cook, Return of the Lions A.S. LIV, 5/4/2019
- Head Cook, Blood and Axes A.S. LIV, 6/29/2019
- Cook, Runnymede Baronial Dinner - Pennsic War XLVIII A.S. LIV, 8/5/2019
- Cook, St. Andrews A.S. LVI, 11/13/2021
- Sustenance Provider, Banner Painting Workshop A.S. LVI, 3/20/2022
- Sous Chef, Coronation of Ryouko'jin Of-The Iron-Skies and Indrakshi Aani Aravinda A.S. LVI, 4/9/2022
- Head Cook for Sunday Dayboard, The Feast of John Barleycorn - Viceregal Investiture A.S. LVII, 9/4/2022
My interest in making tasty alcoholic beverages started before I joined the SCA. Having gone to New York Renaissance Faire a few times with friends, I tried mead and liked it enough to try making it myself.
I won my first brewing competition at Lions In Winter A.S. XXXII (1997), with a Smoky Mead. Yes, you read that correctly. The mead was aged in charred wooden milk jugs from Nepal.
I have run a few workshops over the years, and have done mead, cordials, and even made sake once. I am a member of Gratuitous Lily Guild.
Workshops, Projects & Publications
- Brewing Workshop, Lions End, circa 2005
- Cordial Worshop, Broken Bridge, 9/19/2009
- Fall Brew-Haha!, Lions End, 11/10/2013
- Barleycorn Test Feast, Lions End, 6/25/2016
- Kimchi Workshop, Lions End, 10/6/2018
- Article "Return of the Cloved Fruit", Ostgardr newsletter - E-Horse 12/2019 and Lions End newsletter - Thereby Hangs a Tale 1/2020
- Unofficially helping create/edit, EK wiki pages, 10/2020-present
Note: I'm missing a few, but don't remember dates at all.