Maika inducted into the Order of the Silver Crescent
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Azure, a leaf Or and in base two mice sejant erect respectant argent, a bordure Or
|Award & Office Badges|
First active in the UNH fencing community in 1999, but soon realized that she lacked basic coordination, let alone skill, became inactive from 2000-2004. First event Birka 2005. Quietly participated for the next 8 years or so, peripherally involved with Clann O'Choda, House Stonewatch, and Lochleven until she became an actual member of Darostur in 2016.
She joined The Worshipful Company of Their Majesties’ Underwear in 2014 and accidentally let slip that she knows how to draw and design. She has designed a number of garments for King Edward and Queen Thyra and has been tirelessly working to ensure that they are properly clothed. Her embroidery and narrow work has appeared on their garments. She also enjoyed spending most of their second reign retaining for them at various events throughout the known world, and periodically being a court assistant when needed.
She teaches classes on introduction to embroidery, creating a middle class Elizabethan outfit, and designing group projects. She became an apprentice to Master Xandra Rozina Xiberras Galea (Rozi) at Gulf Wars in 2015, and is of the Ygraine of Kellswood line of scribes, though only as a student.
Interests include: (in no particular order) Sewing, Free Embroidery, Casting, Carving, Preserving food, Archery, Scribal Arts, Mice, Chickens, Cats, and Enabling.
She has two competing visions, along with a tendency towards wearing whatever is comfortable in the current conditions.
French 13th century from the Languedoc region and 1590s Textile worker from Leiden Holland
Frequently she is found in Viking garb, but that's just because it's easy.
- Introduction to Embroidery (numerous times over the years 2015 - 2018)
- Underpinnings of late 16th century English/Flemmish dress (December 2015)
- Group project wrangling in the SCA (February 2016)
- So you want to be a scribe! (Materials and resources) (Scribal schola May 2016, also Scribal Schola in the Shire 2018)
- Making (& Embroidering) Felt Toys for the Toy Box (numerous times in 2018)
- Teach Making (& Embroidering) Felt Toys for the Toy Box at *your* event (Embroidery schola 2019)
Scribal Moot classes -
- Materials & Paint Bar - March 2017
- Personalizing Scrolls - March 2018
- Making Ink - October 2018
- Watercolor Techniques - March 2019
- And numerous other joint classes taught with Thyra and Feilinn
- Award of Arms - Balfar's Challenge (4/19/2014)
- Athena's Thimble Guild Mistresses token of appreciation (2/21/2015)
- Company of the Pennon of the East - Gulf Wars (Gleann Abhann) (3/19/2015)
- Queen's Cypher (Thyra II) - Last Court of Edward III and Thyra II (4/11/2015)
- Court Barony with Grant of Arms - BBM/Bergental Yule (12/5/2015)
- Arts & Science Keeper of Quintavia - Shire Yule (12/18/2016)
- Arts & Science Defender of Quintavia - Battle of Five Armies (8/26/2017)
- Companion of the Silver Brooch - Crown Tourney (11/4/2017)
- Arts & Science Keeper of Quintavia - Shire Yule (12/9/2018)
- Queen's Award of Esteem - Ile du Dragon Dormant Baronial Investiture (3/2/2019)
- Order of the Burdened Tyger - Panteria (5/25/2019)
- Order of the Silver Crescent - Great Northeastern War (7/13/2019)
- Sovereign’s Award of Esteem - 10th Ethereal Court Tindal and Alberic (6/13/2021)
- Augmentation of Arms - Coronation of Honig II & Ioannes II - Last Court (8/28/2021)
- Maunche - Crown Tournament of Ioannes II and Honig II (Bergental) (11/6/2021)
- Rabbit in the Moon - East Kingdom Rapier Championships (Quintavia) (2/18/2023)
- Pelican - East Kingdom Rapier Championships (Quintavia) (2/18/2023)
- Autocrat - 4th Annual Embroidery Schola (2/25/2017)
- Deputy Arts and Science Minister for the Shire of Quintavia (03/2016 - 03/2018)
- Autocrat - 5th Annual Embroidery Schola (2/24/2018)
- Arts and Science Minister for the Shire of Quintavia (03/2018 - 4/2021)
- Co-Organizer, Quintavia Scribal Moot (held monthly), (11/2016 - 2/2020)
- Senior member of The Keepers of Athena's Thimble (12/2/2017 - present)
- Autocrat - The Great Quintavian Iron Scribe competition (11/17/2018)
- Autocrat - King's and Queen's Fencing Champions (12/8/2018)
- Autocrat - 6th Annual Embroidery Schola (2/9/2019)
- Favor Coordinator - Ozurr and Fortune
- Autocrat - 7th Annual Embroidery Schola (2/2020)
- Autocrat - 8th Annual Embroidery Schola (online) (2/2021)
- Autocrat - The Coronation of Brennan and Caoilfhionn (4/1/2023)
Projects & Publications
- Was involved with the flamingo dress for Thyra II
- And making the royal gifts for Pennsic 43
- And made tokens for Thyra II (along with the hedgehogs for the guard tokens)
- Spearheaded the giant full circle cloak of doom for Thyra II
- Spearheaded the rose capelet for Queen Caoilfhionn II
- In case of Court, please contact Mikjáll bogmaðr and Æsa feilinn Jossursdottir.
- Marieta Charay enjoys all types of scribal works! Persona appropriate scrolls or scrolls that catch the artist's eye/fit their favorite style are equally loved. Bonus points for scrolls that fit within a 10" x 14" frame, but also loves alternative material 'scrolls'.