Photo by Sage Élan de Janvier
|Resides: Shire of Mountain Freehold|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Azure, a chevron inverted between an owl close contourny and two crossed keys argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Madame Lily Aubrey
Madame-Capitaine Lily Aubrey
I am Lily Aubrey, and I have been in the SCA since 2005. I am originally from the Shire (now Barony) of Endewearde, lived for a short time in the Barony of Carolingia, and now reside and am an officer in the Shire of Mountain Freehold. My primary interests in the society are the scribal arts and fencing. I have also put my hand to a number of other period arts including garb making, embroidery, archery, cooking, and brewing.
Lily Aubrey was born in Penmark, Wales in the year 1324. Raised amongst the sailors and merchants of this port town, she quickly learned everything she could about the art of sailing. By the age of 16, she had been made first-mate aboard a merchant vessel.
In 1340, King Richard III pressed her ship into service to bring aid to the English allies in Flanders. After fighting in the Battle of Sluys and witnessing the horrors of the battle, Lily questioned why any should serve and die for such a cruel king. A king who would throw lives into the water like rocks for a petty claim for more land. She found others who felt the same. While the battle continued into the dark night, Lily and her comrades stole away aboard one of the many captured French vessels.
Together they swore to forge their own path. To live and die by their own principles and purpose. To make their freedom upon the sea. They called themselves the Free-Company, and their ship they rechristened the 'Stella Maris', the North Star.
To this day Captain Lily Aubrey sails under the Letter of Marque of Duchess Marieke van de Dal. Charged to excise tariffs on any vessel coming or going from the lands of Mercia, and to protect the shores of the Eastern Realm.
Offices & Affiliations
Shire of Mountain Freehold
- Rapier Marshal 1/31/16 - Current
- Youth Rapier Marshal 1/7/18 - Current
- Deputy Seneschal 1/21/17 - 12/31/20
Free-Company of the Stella Maris
- Captain 2/24/18 - Current
Cadet to Mistress Brita Mairi Svensdottir
Student to Magistra Audrye Beneyt
- Mimir's Well 3/7/20 - Co-Autocrat/Class Instructor (Fencing A&S)
- Market Day at Birka 1/25/20 - Fencing Marshal
- Closing of the Inne at Coldwood / NRWC 10/19/19 - Rapier MiC
- Mountain Freehold Birthday Bash 10/5/19 - Rapier MiC
- Harper's Retreat 8/30/19 - 9/2/19 - Fencing Marshal
- GNEW 7/11/19 - 7/14/19 - Fencing Marshal
- Opening of the Inne at Coldwood / NRWC 6/15/19 - Rapier MiC
- Wars of the Roses 5/24/19 - 5/27/19 - Fencing Marshal
- Feast of Fools 4/13/19 - Youth Officer
- Mimir's Well 3/9/19 - Co-Autocrat/Class Instructor (Intro to Calligraphy)
- Market Day at Birka 1/26/19 - Fencing Marshal
- Northern Region Rapier Practice 11/18/18 - Rapier MiC
- Demo at Fort William Henry 9/23/18 - Rapier MiC
- Mountain Freehold Birthday Bash 8/26/18 - Rapier MiC
- Opening of the Inne at Coldwood / NRWC 6/16/18 - Rapier MiC
- Wars of the Roses 5/25/18 - 5/28/18 - Youth Rapier MiC
- Mimir's Well 2/24/18 - Co-Autocrat
- Market Day at Birka 1/27/18 - Fencing Marshal
- Mountain Freehold Birthday Bash 10/14/17 - Rapier MiC
- Penteria XXII 5/26/17 - 5/28/17 - Fencing Marshal
- Coronation of Ioannes & Honig 4/1/17 - Feast Staff
- Mimir's Well 2/25/17 - Class Instructor (Sword-Belt Construction)
- Mountain Freehold Birthday Bash 10/8/16 - Rapier MiC
- Endewearde Baronial Investiture 9/28/13 - Feast Staff