Fall Crown, 2010
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Argent, a trident sable and a bordure vert semy of lotuses affronty argent
|Award & Office Badges|
Maestrə Venture, more commonly known as 'V', has been in the SCA since 1993. Their first event was An Tir's May Crown Tournament XXVIII. Since that time they were active in the Kingdoms of AEthelmearc (1996-1998), Middle (1998-2001), and Caid (2004-2006) before settling in the East. They are a Companion of the Lux Caidis, the Caid Grant-level award for excellence in the Arts & Sciences, and a Companion of the Maunche. They were elevated to the Order of the Laurel at Pennsic 39, in East Kingdom Court on August 11, 2010.
Born in Venice in 1347 to a middle-class merchant family, and miraculously surviving the Black Death in 1358 that claimed her mother, she was raised by her father and his new wife.
After the War of Chioggia ended in 1381, she embarked on a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in the company of her aged, and now deceased, father. Since then, Maestra Venture has been itinerantly employed as a field steward and cook to campaigning nobility in France. When the rigors of campaign life become too much for her she returns to her family's ancestral residence in Chioggia, or bides her time in their palazzetto in Venice. Although her uncles have taken over the daily operations of the family's ceramic import trade, she likes to keep abreast of how they are managing the business.
Retired Persona: Irayari Vairavi
Vairavi was born in 1264 C.E. in Tiruchendur, on the south-east coast of the Indian subcontinent (modern Tamil Nadu). At a young age she was sworn to the Nallaiappar temple in nearby Tirunelveli, and there began to learn the arts of the tevaratiyar, or temple-dancer. After a time she fell away from the religion of the Brahmans and left the temple to become courtier, poet, and tutor of Carvaka philosophy at the Court of King Maravarman Kulasekhara Pandyan. Her primary language is Tamil, although she knows a little Sanskrit as well. Her name follows the pattern <father's name> <given name>'.
While Vairavi's persona is retired, Maestrə Venture is still happy to help those interested in historic Indian culture. V dabbles heavily in costuming of various eras and regions, and likes to explore the trade connections between India and Venice during the 13th and 14th centuries. They have also experimented with Roman, Mycenean, and late North Indian clothing.
Offices & Positions
- Baroness - Barony of Carolingia, May 12, 2012-April 4, 2015
Awards & Recognitions
- 5/23/1998 Award of Arms (East) (Bhairavi Palanimathi) (AEthelmearc)
- 7/20/2002 Companion of the Burdened Tyger (East) Great Northeastern War/King's & Queen's Archery Championships (East) Darius and Roxane
- 1/28/2006 Companion of the Lux Caidis (Caid)
- 1/28/2006 Grant of Arms (Caid)
- 4/6/2006 Companion of the Sigil of AEthelmearc (AEthelmearc)
- 1/26/2008 Companion of the Maunche (East) Market Day at Birka, evening court (East) Andreas III and Gabriela
- 4/11/2009 Court Barony (East) Last Court, Coronation of Andreas and Gabriella (East) Darius IV and Alethea
- 10/31/2009 Companion of the Sovereign’s Order of Excellence (East) Crown Tournament (East) Konrad II and Brenwen II
- 8/11/2010 Companion of the Patent of Arms (East) Pennsic War 39 (East) Edward and Marguerite
- 8/11/2010 Laurel (East) Pennsic War 39 (East) Edward and Marguerite
- 5/12/2012 Baroness Carolingia (East)
In Case of Court
Pronouns & Pronunciation
In Persona: she/her/hers
Although the best default for V is gender-neutral, they prefer to have any 'official' SCA scrolls, documents, etc. use their persona's pronouns (she/her/hers.) They like the titles 'Maestrə' and 'Baronx' within the context of the SCA system of nobility.
"Imigla" is pronounced with a soft Italian 'g', as in "Pagliacci." "Venture" sounds a bit like "ven-TOO-ray."
IPA: ɪmɪljə ventˈure
Pension for a retiring Baroness
What do you do for a retiring landed Baroness when she's already a Peer and a Court Baroness? In this case, the Crown commissioned Alys Mackyntoich to write words granting Imigla Venture fictional lands and tithes.
Edward, King of the East, and Thyra, the Queen, to the good persons of all our land greeting. Know that we do give, grant and by this our present charter confirm unto our faithful Imigla Venture, in recompense and satisfaction for her service as Baroness of Carolingia, the lands, lordships and castles, with liberties, pertinents and annexes underwritten: namely all of our lordship of the lands of Ventura, with an annual pension for the keeping of the said lands, lordships and castles to be paid annually to her; and with the profits, benefits and escheats of the courts within the said lands and lordships; with wards, reliefs and marriages as often as they occur; and with the right of patronage to the advowsons and presentations of all benefices, churches, hospitals and chaplainries within the said lands and lordships as often as they fall vacant; and with all and sundry other liberties, profits and easements and just pertinents whatsoever, whether not named or named, below the ground or above it, both far and near, belonging, or in future, in whatsoever manner, coming justly to belong, to all and sundry the aforesaid lordships, lands, castles, towers and palace; and the said Imigla shall hold all the above-written freely, tranquilly, fully, wholly, honourably, well and in peace, in and by all things. In witness whereof we have ordered our ensigns manual be affixed to the present charter upon 4 April in the forty-ninth year of the Society, in Carolingia.
- Technical Services Staff at Pennsic 27 and 28
- Land 3 (Deputy in charge of Building and Construction), Pennsic 39
- Creator and "List-Amma" of the SCA_India List (Retired Jan 2010)
- Retainer to Darius and Roxane
- Retainer to Robin and Isabeau (AEthelmearc)
- Retainer to Darius IV and Alethea
- Seamstress/Artisan to the Crown for Roxane (East), Chamayn II (Caid), Brenwen (East), and Alethea (East)
- Set Decorator for East Kingdom Court, Pennsic 36.
- Staff: Festa di Michelangelo (Carolingia)
- Staff: A Carnival in Venice (Carolingia)