|Resides: Canton of Whyt Whey|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Per saltire gules and argent, two gouttes de sang
|Award & Office Badges|
Abu-Darzin Ibrahim ibn Musa bin Sulayman al-Rashid, Laureate (he/him) currently lives in the Canton of Whyt Wey in the Crown Province of Ostgardr. Most of his partipation in the SCA has centered arround A&S related activities, including teaching. He views himself as primarily a sewist/tailor, though his most involved A&S research to date has been related to nalbinding. Ibrahim has also "dabbled" with numerous other fiber arts, cooking, historical medicine, and historical fencing.
Ibrahim is a resident of 14th century al-Andalus (the era of Muslim rule in Spain). However, due to his enthusiasm for historical Spanish rapier fencing (also called la Verdadera Destreza) he occationally slides a bit forward in time to the Siglo de Oro (or golden century), the period of the Spanish Renaissance encompassing a bit more than 100 years of the late 16th and early 17th centuries.
Offices & Positions
- Southern Regional A&S Deputy, 2020 -
- Member of the Pennsic A&S Champions Team (alternate), 2018.
- Exchequer for the Canton of Whyt Whey, 2016 -
- Minister of Arts & Sciences for the Canton of Brokenbridge, 2011-2014
- Served twice as Ostgardr's Provincial A&S champion.
- Served once as Ostgardr's Fencing champion
- Served as the head cook for several events, including "The Coney Hop" in the Canton of Brokenbridge (see menu) and most recently for Ostgardr's "Seige of Granada" in 2019
- Participated in the Kingdom MoAS office's Consultation Table initative, providing advice to artisans about A&S projects.
- Judged at many A&S events, most recently including "Crown's A&S Champions", and "Artifacts of a Life" in 2019
- Taught A&S classes at numerious local events and baronial A&S nights, including teaching at every Pennsic he attended since at least 2010. Some of the classes he has taught include:
- Overview of medieval fashion
- Basic hand sewing
- Geometric clothing construction
- Pattern drafting (modern methods)
- Turban variations in al-Andalus
- Very Basic Nalbinding
- Egyptian nalbinding
- Romano-Egyptian socks
- Working with period recipes
- Historical food preservation methods
- Humoral theory
- Clothier to the Crown - Queen Margarita - 8/2020
Ibrahim's A&S Blog can be found at https://pius-ponderings.blogspot.com/. Below are links to the collected posts in two of his major areas of focus. Most recently he has had a research paper published in the East Kingdom Gazette, May 2020. He also recently won the "best dressed" portion of a "By the Book Rapier Tournement" at Pennsic in 2019 and the "elite" category at Artifacts of a Life in 2023.
In case of court
While not hugely opposed to suprises, Ibrahim would prefer some advanced notice if he is to be called into court.