Countess Ianthé d'Averoigne, OL, OR, CoC, CCoM. Mostly retired from eventing life these days, although may be found online, especially on her blog String-or-Nothing or occasionally on FaceBook, dabbling in historical embroidery and knitting forums.
Projects & Publications
- Blackwork, Hand-drawn booklet on blackwork embroidery, June 1977.
- Counted Patterns from Before 1600, hand-drawn booklet of stitching patterns, June 1979, June 1980.
- The New Carolingian Modelbook: Counted Embroidery Patterns from Before 1600, Outlaw Press, 1995.
- Ensamplario Atlantio: Being a Collection of Filling Patterns Suitable for Blackwork Embroidery, Black Rose Press, 2011.
- "Observations on a Blackwork Smock," Ars Scientia Orientalis, May 2014.
- Ensamplario Atlantio II, Black Rose Press, 2020.
- The Second Carolingian Modelbook: More Counted Patterns from Historical Sources, Wild Puma Press, 2021.
- Cofounder of Carolingia's Borough of Fenmere (On-campus group at Brandeis University)
- First East Kingdom Queen to take up arms (AS XI - note - not Queen by right of arms, but the first Eastern Queen to fight, and lead troops on the field).
- With Don Fernando Salazar y Perez, Count, Knight and Puma - East Kingdom monarchs when Pennsic VI was held (first War at Coopers' Lake). Participated in talks on selecting and commissioning Coopers' Lake as war site for Pennsic VI.
- Wrote initial set of laws and procedures governing Courts of Courtesy in the East (now long since superseded).
- Work in embroidery research, recreation, publishing, teaching, and otherwise fostering interest in blackwork embroidery and allied counted thread styles recognized by award of a Laurel in AS XIII.
- Only recently took her first Apprentice - the Noble Iulia Crispina (aka Cristina Volpina), of the Barony of the Bridge.
Ianthé circa 1978/79 - probably at Pennsic (fighting tunic)
|Resides: Barony of Carolingia|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Sable, on a cartouche gules fimbriated argent, a rose slipped and leaved inverted sable fimbriated argent.
|Award & Office Badges|