Gareth Grey de Wilton
Gareth Grey de Wilton
|Resides: Barony of Ruantallan|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Per bend embattled argent and gules, a cross clechy gules.
|Award & Office Badges|
I live and play in the Crown Principality of Tir Mara, residing in the Barony of Ruantallan, Canton of Seashire.
I currently run a fight practice on Friday nights, in a hall we built adjacent to my house and I'm the head of the Crimson Company.
I was born in the town of Rouen, on the shores of the Seine River in Normandy on April 28th, 1170.
My father was Joseph Grey de Wilton. He was a soldier and served under Richard fitz Godbert de Roche. In 1167 he embarked on the invasion of Ireland, landing in County Wexford. During his 3 years in Ireland he met and fell in love with Emily O'Boyle. After being wounded in battle, he returned with his new wife to Rouen in late 1169. He returned to woodworking in his father shop, as he had done in his youth. Upon his fathers' death in the winter of 1174, he inherited the shop and expanded it including hiring more workers. In the years to follow as Rouen prospered, so did his shop.
At a young age, like my father before me, I apprenticed in woodworking. Noting the same spirit in me that was in him, my father taught me about soldiering and the ways of the sword. My mother being a pious woman and fearing for my soul taught me to read the bible, took me to church, and made sure my prayers were done nightly. And so this continued until my 18th year.
In 1187 Jerusalem fell to the Saracen King Salah ha-Din Yusuf. By that fall Pope Gregory VIII issued the papal bull 'Audita Tremendi' calling for the Third Crusade. In the summer of 1188 a group of Templars came to Rouen seeking pious men willing to free the Holy Land from the evils of the Saracens with a promise of eternal life in heaven should we fall in service to God. I never looked back.
"A Templar Knight is truly a fearless Knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel. He is thus doubly-armed, and need fear neither demons nor men."
Bernard de Clairvaux, c. 1135
Offices & Positions
- Knight Marshal, Crown Principality of Tir Mara - May 2014-2018
- Seneschal, Barony of Ruantallan - 2012-2014
- Seneschal, Barony of Ruantallan - 2009-2011
- Board Member - Tir Mara Royal Travel Fund - 2007-2016
- Knight Marshal, Shire of Le Dragonnet - 2005-2007
- Seneschal, Port of Lympha Profunda - 1997-2000
- Chatelaine, Port of Lympha Profunda - 1996
- Marshal in Charge - Herne the Hunter (various years), Baronial War Camp (various years), Seashire Championship, Baronial Championship, and many others.
- Head Cook - BIA Ruantallan (2011)
- Kitchen Staff - Seashire 26th Anniversary (2008)
- Autocrat - Epulio di Militus Gaius Julius Marinus (June 2014), Baronial Warcamp (2013), Herne the Hunter, Weenie War I, Weenie War II, Sea Wars (various years), Harvest & Howling, etc.
Crimson Hall - A place of learning. Weekly fight practice and teaching sessions.
I also dabble in woodworking.
- Queen's Honor of Distinction (Roxane I, Roxane II)
- Order of the Iceberg (Martial)
- Member of the Blue Tyger Legion (Pennsic 2013)
- Tyger of Foreign Legions (Gulf Wars 2014)
- Court Baron (Pennsic 2015)
- Company of the Pennon of the East (Gulf Wars 2018)