Finnguala ingen Néill meic Chuircc
image courtesy of Brenden Crane
|Resides: Barony of Concordia of the Snows|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Per fess sable and vert, a swan naiant and in chief three lozenges argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Lady Finnguala ingen Néill meic Chuircc
Pronounced: "fin-nooh-lah in-yen nee-all meck cork"
Finnguala joined the SCA in 2001 in the Barony of Windmaster's Hill in Atlantia. She moved to East Kingdom in 2009 and now resides in the Barony of Concordia of the Snows.
Previously, while generally doing things that need doing and making things that need making, she has worked setup and cleanup, helped create props and tokens, planned and cooked dayboard, assisted in kitchens, co-event stewarded, run areas and events for newcomers and families, and held the office of Baronial Seneschal for Concordia (2015-2017). After a significant break from SCA activity to recover from burnout, Finnguala is stepping back into the A&S side of things to share and learn.
In the modern world, Nuri Olsen does environmental work for the transportation field. She is interested in natural resource management and practical policy development and enforcement as well as fostering proactive communication to promote understanding of others and consensus in goals.
Finnguala was born in the early 9th Century in Ireland as part of the Ciannachta, who hold territory near the Linn Duachaill sea-raider settlement. As she grew up, the tribe's relationship with the raiders improved significantly, and now there is a mostly-civil peace and some trade between them. The raiders often have useful items or rare materials to offer such as metal fasteners and silk cloth, so her people tolerate them as long as they cause no personal offense. There are even stories of the raiders joining arms with a neighboring tribe to topple a corrupt and oppressive Abbott, though Finnguala has her own doubts about the accuracy of that particular tale. She herself is a devout Christian in the Irish way, since one ignores the wisdom of their elders at their own peril; certainly God sends many creatures and wonders to test or assist his children, and Finnguala is wary of anything that appears out of the ordinary.
Offices & Positions
- Seneschal, Barony of Concordia, 9/2/2015 to 9/6/2017
- Deputy Seneschal, Barony of Concordia, 9/6/2017 to 4/4/2018
- Youth Officer, at large, 5/12/2015 to 5/31/2019
See East Kingdom Order of Precedence.
- Order of the Friends (Concordia; welcome) - Pierre de Tours, War of the Roses, May 2012
- Order of the Pine (Concordia; service) - Jean Paul and Lylie, Bjorn's Ceilidh, September 2015
- Order of the Sapphire (Concordia: arts) - Faolán and Maria, War of the Roses, May 2019
- General Staff, Known World Agricultural & Forestry Symposium 9/2019
- Class Coordinator, Springe Gardyn Schola 4/2019
- Family Participation Coordinator, Wars of the Roses 5/2017
- Dayboard Cook, Coronation of Brennan II and Caoilfhionn II, 10/2015
- Co-Event Steward, Wars of the Roses, 5/2015
- Gate Steward, Winter Nights, 10/2013
Projects & Publications
Classes taught: (handouts available here)
- Coppicing and Pollarding Woody Plants (Known World Ag & Forestry 2019)
- Basics of Building Wattle: Weaving with Wood (Spring Garden Schola 2019, Known World Ag & Forestry 2019)
- Intro to Plant Identification (Spring Garden Schola 2019, Known World Ag & Forestry 2019)
- Youth Ideas Matter: Getting What You Want From Events (Pennsic 2017)
- I Want to Help at Events, but They Say I’m Too Young! (Pennsic 2017)
- Harassment in the SCA: Facilitated Discussion (Pennsic 2017) Notes delayed by long-term health issues, but forthcoming
In Case of Court / Document Preferences
PLEASE NOTE: As of Nov. 2023 I am resuming participation in the SCA via A&S. For my mental health, I will not be attending court for the time being. Please respect this boundary and do not expect me to make exceptions. This will change when I am ready.
- Surprise is preferred; it prevents anxious compulsion cycles. (Please no writs.)
- Please notify my Peer, Estgar æt Hrofecaestre, and my spouse, Magnús hvalmagi.
- Photographers have permission/consent to post photos of me from any Event space including court (I know it's not legally required, but I also know lots of y'all tend to extend the courtesy)
For Documents ("scrolls"):
- I prefer smaller sizes (8.5x11 or under) since wall space is getting harder to find at home.
- Persona-appropriate is not super important. Subject-matter appropriate is way cooler.
- The thing that would mean the most to me is the assignment going to someone(s) who I mean something to, if possible. These documents are the physical representation of the impact we've had on each other, and that's the part that I feel when I see it on my wall.
- If you are a scribal nerd and want to add something quirky or fun because of a period thing you love or a whimsical reference, yes!
- Mistakes are opportunities for the above. Please don't burn it with fire! (Unless that's the effect you're going for, I guess?)
- Need inspiration? Some categories of source material that would fit me well include: herbals, agricultural manuals, calendars of monthly occupations, ... anything else botanical or agricultural. Roman/Byzantine Egypt. Weird/funny faces. Acrobatic monkeys. Things with ridiculous proportions. (Most of this boils down to gardens and whimsy.)