Baroness Elizabeth Talbot readies for Pennsic Court
|Resides: Barony of Settmour Swamp|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
|Award & Office Badges|
Elizabeth Talbot comes from the Gendy tradition of service to the Crown. Some of this service has been rendered by practicing administrative talents at Pennsic and to her local groups, the March of the Marshes, the March of Gwyntarian, the Crown Province of Ostgardr, and now the Barony of Settmour Swamp. Some of this service has been sewing for the Crowns of the Midrealm, the East, and Aethelmearc. She has taught classes in the East, Midrealm, and Aethelmearc, and many at Pennsic.
Elizabeth is excited by learning new histories, elegantly written documents, beautifully made garments, the excitement of shared discovery, and tales told with warmth and humor. Oh, and cookies. She appreciates a good cookie. And makes a decent one.
Elizabeth Talbot was born sometime around 1500 in the north of England. Her father was a younger son of the Talbot family who met her Irish mother while on campaign there. She has so far survived the complicated politics of both Eastern and Tudor courts, and still is called to court to serve the Queen from time to time.
She is the Principle of the Atelier d'Ibis Escarlate, a tailoring and embroidery workshop of notable skill and lineage. She learned about the Society while studying in the Midrealm, and moved to the East to complete them with Masters in Ostgardr. She was the first apprentice to both Mistress Roen la Denteliere and Vicereine Katherine of Gillesfleur of Ostgardr. She continues their traditions of fine tailoring, exquisite needlework, and creative problem solving and has taught her skills to students who have graced the Eastern, Midrealm, and Aethelmearc Courts.
These are the noble folk whom Elizabeth has been honored to mentor in apprenticeships (in order of contract, not elevation):
- Mistress Caterina Giaocchini
- Baron Tofi Kerthjalfaddson
- Mistress Anne Greye
- Baroness Kamilla von Anderlecht
- Mistress Muriel de Chimay
- Mistress Briony of Chatham (fostered from Baroness Cassadoria Finiala)
- Mistress Marguerite d'Honnfleur
- Mistress Vika Grigina z Prahy (mentor, merely)
- Mistress Elizabet Marshall (fostered and shared with Mistress Gabrielle d'Outre Mer)
- Lady Lillian Hutchinson
Offices & Positions
- Seneschal of incipient Shire of Obersgarth, Fall 1982 to May 1983
- Seneschal of incipient March of the Marches, Fall 1985 to May 1987
- Officer of the Crown Province of Ostgardr, Fall 1989 to Spring 1997?
(in that time, served as Chatelaine, Mistress of Arts & Sciences, and Deputy Seneschal, serially.)
- Mistress of Arts & Sciences, Barony of Settmour Swamp, March 2020 to March 2023
- Autocrat, Shakespeare's Birthday, incipient Shire of Obersgarth, April 23, 1983
- Autocrat, Spring Celebration, incipient March of the Marshes, April 21, 1986
- Deputy Autocrat, Welcome Spring Event, incipient March of the Marshes, May 11?, 1987
- Deputy Autocrat, Celtic Silliness, Ostgardr, April 1, 1989
- Head of Arts & Sciences/Cultural Affairs for Pennsic XXV (1996)
- Camp Steward, aka "Mom", Barony of Settmour Swamp Camp, Pennsic XXXIX (2010)- Pennsic XLVII (2018)
- Dayboard Coordinator, East Kingdom Twelfth Night, Barony of Settmour Swamp, January 15, 2011
- Co-autocrat, A Day in the Solar, Barony of Settmour Swamp, June 7, 2014
- Co-autocrat, A Day in the Solar, Barony of Settmour Swamp, June 20, 2015
- Co-autocrat, A Day in the Solar, Barony of Settmour Swamp, June 18, 2016
- Head of Troll, Quest for Wit & Wisdom XXXIII, Barony of Settmour Swamp, May 26-29, 2017
- Head of Troll, Black Gryphon Inn XVIII, Barony of Settmour Swamp, April 22, 2018
- Event Co-steward, Virtual Mudthaw (XL): Mudthaw Through the Ages, Barony of Settmour Swamp, March 20, 2021
- Event Steward, Leonardo's Quest for Wit & Wisdom XXXVII, Barony of Settmour Swamp, May 27-30, 2022
- Workshop Steward, A Day in the Solar, Barony of Settmour Swamp, June 26, 2022
- Event Steward, Imbolc Schola, Barony of Settmour Swamp, February 11, 2023
- Event Steward, Mudthaw XLII: Let us go a Viking!, Barony of Settmour Swamp, March 25, 2023
- Deputy Camp Steward, Barony of Settmour Swamp Camp, Pennsic L (2023)
- Event Steward, Nos Calan Gaeaf: A Winter's Eve Schola, Barony of Settmour Swamp, October 28, 2023
Nobles and special occasions she has sewn for
- Gown (part) for Queen Katherine of Sternfeld I (Midrealm), Pennsic War Horn Ceremony, Pennsic XIV (1985)
- Gambeson for King Ronald Wilmot II, April 1990
- Gown for Queen Margaret ny Connor, Great Court, Pennsic XXI (1992)
- Summer wardrobe for Queen Jana von Drachenklaue I, Pennsic XXIII (1994)
- Gown (part) for Queen Christence von Heiseler I, Twelfth Night, 1994
- Investiture outfits for Countess Amsha al-Sirhan & Bartholomew the Bewildered, Baroness & Baron of Carillion, February 1995
- Ceremonial surcoat for Vicereine Katherine of Gillesfleur, Ostgardr, Fall 1997
- Coronation Gown (part) for Queen Geneviere d'Alsace, April 2004
- Coronation Gown (part) for Brenwen the Faire I, April 2008
- Coronation Gown (taught and fit royal household for Coronation style) for Brenwen the Faire II, Spring/Summer 2009
- Coronation Outfit for Wilhelm von Ostenbrucke, Coronation, September 2018
- Gown for Margarita di Siena, (planned for Gulf Wars), Spring 2020
- Investiture outfits for Charis Accipiter and Orlando Sforza, for Baroness & Baron Settmour Swamp, Spring 2021
- List in Chronological order, oldest to newest
In Case of Court
Elizabeth Talbot is a Maid of Honour to Her Grace, Katherine, Princess of Spain, and Queen of England. It is meet that communication with her be in appropriate form as that of all correspondence within and about the Court of His Majestie, Defender of the Faith, Henry, by the Grace of God, VIIIth of that name. She herself writes fair batarde, italic, and secretary hands, as should a gentlewoman of education and rank. All may address her as she, or her.
Should communication in advance of an event be required, Baroness Talbot asks that it be directed to Mistress Vika Grigina. Her Excellency likely need not be concerned with it until Their Tyger Majesties call her within Their Fearsome Presence. Elizabeth likes (good) surprises. Elizabeth also has a good and earnest beloved, Tidehelm the Moneyer, who demonstrates superior skill in capturing our gatherings with heartfelt and elegant images. She would prefer for any celebrations to include him as well.
Elizabeth is a Senior Member of the Keepers of Athena's Thimble and holds a Journeyman ranking for her various needle skills.