Douglas and Gallus Gallus Domesticus at Hunter's Moon 2017
|Resides: Shire of Anglespur|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
|Award & Office Badges|
Hello! My name is Douglas, some folks call me Doug, and some even call me Doug Doug. I'm in graduate school and participate in the SCA as a fun hobby! I'm interested in "All the Things" but thus far I've only had time to explore fencing, archery, bardic and the performing arts!
I enjoy organizing and planning activities and events. I also enjoy bardic and the performing arts and wanted more opportunities for myself and other newcomers to participate in them so I hosted a monthly Performing Arts and Bardic practice along with quarterly demos at a local library from October 2017 to February 2020. As Chatelaine for the East Kingdom College of Performers, I hosted a monthly online Performing Arts and Bardic practice from August 2018 to August 2020. I've passed on the hosting role to Drustan of Old Stonebridges.
I enjoy reading Japanese folklore and exploring Commedia dell'arte. My long term goal in the SCA is to be able to tell stories from many different cultures.
I am the protege of Countess Marguerite Ingen Lachlainn
I'm currently researching an English or Irish or Italian persona and will likely go by variations on Douglas for the foreseeable future (narrowing it down to three took five-ish years). I tend dress in different garb for different activities! My aim is to pass the 10 foot rule with practical outfits for the activity I'm participating in. Oversized sweatpants and overlong T-shirt/Tunic is totally passable garb for the alternate archery team at Pennsic I swear. Court after a long day of fencing? Time to put on the giant spare tunic I have that cleans easily! Doing a performance? Time for the fancy garb!
Joined the SCA in Fall 2015 through the local fencing community. Fencing is so much fun and great exercise. My favorite style is mixed length case. I came in the top 16 at the Royal Fencing Competition in December 2017 and was awarded my Silver Rapier on the same day!
Started archery during the summer of 2018. It's a relaxing hobby and was fun to explore different ways to aim. Everyone has a different way that works from them! Won the Baronial Archery Champion for Concordia of the Snows in Summer of 2019 Came in the top 10 of the Baronial Archery Competition at Pennsic 2019.
Arts & Sciences
I enjoy ad hoc research projects for practical use such as weaving shoes from rope or a budget friendly attempt at kintsugi after my favorite cup broke.
Offices & Positions
- Chatelaine for the East Kingdom College of Performers October 2018-current
- Minister of Arts and Science for the Shire of Anglespur December 2017-December 2019
- Acting Chatelaine for the East Kingdom College of Performers August 2018-October 2018
- Deputy Chatelaine for the East Kingdom College of Performers January 2018-August 2018
- Demo Coordinator, Winter Bardic Competition And Demo, 01/16/2018
- Demo Coordinator, SCA Bardic & Storytelling! Live performance of Japanese Folklore, Norse Myths, and other Medieval Tales!, 03/04/2018
- Demo Coordinator, Song and Story, a Bardic and Performance Demo and Competition, 04/11/2018
- Demo Coordinator, Prose, Poetry, and Performance: Bardic Demo and Competition, 06/13/2018
- Assistant Bardic & Performing Arts Coordinator, East Kingdom 50 Year Celebration, 06/30/2018
- Bardic & Performing Arts Coordinator, East Kingdom Novice Day, 07/21/2018
- Bardic & Performing Arts Coordinator, Hunter's Moon, Bardic and Victuality III: 2nd Breakfast , 08/31/2018
- Demo Coordinator, Bardic Spooktacular! Haunting Stories, Songs, Poems and more!, 10/31/2018
- Demo Coordinator, Winter Bardic Competition And Demo, 02/13/2019
- Event Planning Coordinator, East Kingdom College of Performers Challenge Assembly and University, 03/02/2019
- Demo Coordinator, Song and Story, a Bardic and Performance Demo, 04/10/2019
- Demo Coordinator, Prose, Poetry, and Performance: Bardic Demo, 07/10/2019
- Bardic & Performing Arts Coordinator, East Kingdom Novice Day, 07/20/2019
- Bardic & Performing Arts Coordinator, Commedia dell'Arte Camp Host, Hunter's Moon, 08/31/2019
- Winter Nights Host, 10/26/2019
- Demo Coordinator, Bardic Spooktacular! Haunting Stories, Songs, Poems and more!, 10/28/2019
- Demo Coordinator, Winter Bardic Competition and Demo, 02/12/2020
- Co-Autocrat,East Kingdom College of Performers Challenge Assembly and Schola, 3/21/2020 (planned for in person, but re-organized and moved online)
- Online Autocrat, EK College of Performers: Summer Days Online, 6/14/2020 (online only event)
- Online Co-Autocrat,EKCoP Online: Pennsic Themed Bardic and Performing Arts Circle, Saturday August 8th, 2020
- Online Co-Autocrat,EKCoP Online: A Day at the Opera: Music of the Renaissance Stage, Sunday August 23rd, 2020
Upcoming Event Staff Roles
Baronial Archery Champion for Concordia of the Snows 6/29/2019-5/23/2020 (Next archery championship postponed due to Covid-19, dates show were the expected length)
Service History to the Performing Arts
I entered the SCA through the local rapier practice in Fall of 2015. I attended my first bardic circle at my first SCA event, War of the Roses 2016 and attended my second bardic circle, a year later, at War of the Roses 2017. I really enjoyed bardic and the performing arts but as a newcomer I struggled to find performing art events and activities. I attended my first dedicated performing arts event, Winter Nights, in September of 2017. After this event I found opportunities to initiate new performing arts activities focused on offering accessible and welcoming content for newcomers.
- Started a local bardic and performing arts practice in the Angelspur/Concordia of the Snows area and hosted it at a public library on the second Wednesday of every month between October 2017 and February 2020.
- Minister of Arts and Science for the Shire of Anglespur December 2017-December 2019.
- Trained a deputy MoAS, the fantastic Sáerlaith Íngen úi Duinnshléibhe who has gone on to host new A&S activities in the Shire of Anglespur
- Started, hosted, and sponsored Bardic and Performing Arts Demos and Competitions at a public library in Angelspur quarterly from January 2018 to February 2020.
- Appointed Deputy Chatelaine for the, at the time largely inactive, EK College of Performers (EKCoP) December 2017
- Took an active role in promoting EKCoP by volunteering to help run existing performing arts activities or starting new performing arts activities under the EKCoP banner.
- Assistant Performing Arts Coordinator for the East Kingdom 50 year celebration (Summer 2018)
- Initiated, sponsored, and hosted a Novice Bardic and Performing Arts competition at EK Novice Day 2018 & 2019 (Covid-19 prevented 2020)
- Initiated and hosted the “EKCoP Third Thursday Bardic and Performing Arts Workshop and Practice” every month since the summer of 2018 until August 2020 when I passed it on to my EKCoP Deputy Chatelaine Drustan of Old Stonebridges. He is a regular attendee at the practice and exceptionally helpful at making people feel welcome and to try new things.
- Initiated the “EKCoP Travel and Inspiration Notebook” to be passed from performer to perform in the EK to spread words of inspiration (book created by the ever talented Mistress Heather Rose)
- Initiated, along with Ian Douglas, the first EKCoP focused event “EKCoP Challenge Assembly and Schola” in March 2019. My role was to organize the content of the event, the 15 classes and the 15+ challenge sponsors, as well as serving as host for the Challenge Assembly portion of the event. With over 70 people from 5 different kingdoms the event was a tremendous success!
- Initiated, along with Solveig Bjarnardottir, the second “EKCoP Challenge Assembly and Schola” my role was to organize the classes and challenges. However we decided to cancel the event two weeks prior to the scheduled event date in March 2020 due to Covid-19 concerns. Instead we hosted the event entirely online with over 100+ people from 6 different kingdoms!
- Worked with recent previous autocrats of the “Winter Nights” event to transfer the event to EKCoP stewardship moving forward (my goal for EKCoP as an organization was to hold a major performing arts event rotating through the kingdom every six months).
- Worked with the Shire of Caer Adamant to organize and host “Winter Nights” in the Fall of 2019.
- Currently the autocrat and sponsor for “Winter Nights Online” scheduled for October 2020.
- Co-autocrat for EKCoP: Summer Days Online (Summer 2020)
- Co-autocrat for EKCoP: Pennsic Themed Bardic and Performing Arts Circle (Summer 2020)
- Co-autocrat for EKCoP: A Day at the Opera: Music of the Renaissance Stage (Summer 2020)
- Online Autocrat, Winter Nights Online, October 24th, 2020
- Training EKCoP Deputy Chatelaine Drustan of Old Stonebridges to take on the roles and responsibilities of an EKCoP Chatelaine by going over all of the documents and forms I’ve developed to make hosting and organizing in person and online events much more efficient. One of his first events was competing in the EK Novice Day Performing Arts and Bardic Competition in 2018 and that he has volunteered to be a Deputy Chatelaine for EKCoP makes me feel successful in the goal of creating activities accessible to newcomers and to pass these activities on as traditions to maintain the cycle of performing arts and inspiration.
Link to service bullet points as a narrative https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ol76NnwyTHPV6X81rraTf6RstzaO2WnfRR4EbvDFOeo/edit?usp=sharing
Service History to the Arts and Sciences
- 2019 Pennsic A&S War Point Tabulation Monitor
- 2018 Royal A&S, Competition Rubric Judge
- 2018 Keeper of the Central Flame, Rubric Judge in Training
- Minister of Arts and Science for the Shire of Anglespur December 2017-December 2019.
In Case of Court
If there are plans to call me into Royal or Baronial Court I would appreciate to be notified ahead of time. I can best be reached at email@example.com or contact Countess Marguerite Ingen Lachlainn. It would be an honor to receive an award via Ethereal Court.
Scroll Preferences: I enjoy Commedia dell'Arte, the performing arts, poetry, bardic, music, and nature themes likes trees and mountains. Please avoid depictions of weapons and trypophobic imagery. Scribes and illuminators are the best!
My channel currently has of over 300 videos of Bardic, Performing Arts, and Fencing! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHHyN8uOWoCv-8wAXr5QNcQ