Photo credit to Caoilfhionn
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Per pale sable and vert, on a chief argent a fox passant gules.
|Award & Office Badges|
Donovan Shinnock got involved with the SCA mumbly-mumble years ago, back when Carolingian fencing was still held at the Boston Fencing Club and schalgers weren't even thought of. Since then, he's jumped into fencing and has developed a growing interest in period fencing manuals, heraldry, teaching, helping the fencing program in general, bardic shenanigans, and avoiding witnesses when he gets into trouble. He is also inordinately fond of foxes.
This is a work in progress. Late-period Irish-English, very likely from inside the English-controlled area, if not having moved to England itself. Very likely left home because it was kind of going downhill fast.
His name uses the Anglicized spelling as it's late period - and out of a kindness and love for heralds.
- Order of Defense - Omega and Etheldreda
- Order of the Golden Rapier - Edward and Marguerite
- Order of the Silver Rapier - Darius IV and Alethea
- King's Cypher - Kenric III
- Queen's Cypher - Avelina III
- King's Cypher - Edward III
- King's Award of Esteem - Edward II
- King's Award of Esteem - Kenric II
- King's Award of Esteem - Brennan
- Queen's Award of Esteem - Etheldreda
- King's Award of Esteem - Brennan II
Offices, Positions, Appointments
- Society Deputy Minister of Arts and Sciences - Historic Martial Arts: June 2020-Present
- Drop-dead Deputy, Kingdom Marshal of Fence: February 2019-Present
- Deputy Kingdom Marshal of Fence: November 2014-February 2019
- Central Region Deputy Marshal of Fence: June 2009-December 2014
- Central Region Heraldic Deputy (Golden Rapier Herald): October 2014-Present
- Queen's Guard, Brenwen II
- Queen's Rapier Champion, 2010-2011 (Brenwen II, Marguerite, Aikaterine II)
- King's Rapier Champion, 2012-2013 (Gregor III, Kenric, Edward II)
- King's Rapier Champion, 2014 (Kenric II, Brennan, Edward III)
- King's Rapier Champion, 2015-2016 (Brennan II, Kenric III, Brion III)
- King's Rapier Champion, 2017-2018 (Ivan, Brennan III, Wilhelm )
- Crown Rapier Champion, 2019-Present (Margarita, Tindal)
- Pennsic EK Rapier Champions Team Coordinator: 2013, 2014, 2015
- Mayoral Consort of Helpfultown
- Alastar Tucker, Gesitþ (Provost)
- Remy Delamontagne de Gascogne, elevated to the Order of Defense July 1, AS51 at Northern Region War Camp.
- Lottieri Malocchio, inducted into the Order of the Golden Rapier August 6, AS49 at the Pennsic War.
- Anastasia da Monte, inducted into the Order of the Golden Rapier January 31, AS49 at King's and Queen's Bardic Champions.
- Marguerite Ingen Lachlainn, inducted into the Order of the Golden Rapier January 27, AS52 at Birka.
Former protege to Ryan Mac Whyte.
Projects & Publications
Donovan's Rapier and other SCA projects and writings blog.
Guards and Counter-Guards as Described by Giganti, published in Ars Scientia Orientalis (Issue 5, Spring 2013) - Also taught as a short class.
A Small Comparison of the Rapier Styles of Ridolfo Capo Ferro and Salvator Fabris, published in the East Kingdom Gazette - adapted from the poster display noted below.
Lunging Underneath the Sword, presented at St. Elegius 2016 - winning the Laurel level of the competition.
An Underlying System Found In Mair's Sickle Combat, presented at East Kingdom A&S Champions 2017
Bucklers As Fabris Would Have Us Use Them, presented at East Kingdom A&S Champions 2018
A Brief Introduction to Capo Ferro - An Overview of His Manual and the Principles Therein (class notes here)
Introduction to Italian Rapier Concepts
Gaining the Blade; Guards and Counter-Guards
Introduction to Fabris
What Makes A Good Drill?
A Comparison Of The Postures of Capo Ferro and Fabris: done as a poster display (with accompanying discussion) at Voyages of Discovery, 2014.
Notes Regarding Future Awards
Donovan is neutral on surprise being a necessity for receiving awards - he recognizes it as a large part of Eastern culture but is not specifically averse to it nor does he feel that it must be a thing. That said, life responsibilities can mean that confirming attendance in advance is necessary, and he very much understands this.
If he is to receive an award, Lilias de Cheryngton should be contacted both for scheduling and general notification. She can also confirm if/how online awards can be handled.
In case of induction to a polling order, please let the polling order know at the time of decision.