|Resides: Shire of Caer Adamant
|Awards: Order of Precedence
Azure, on a pale purpure fimbraited argent, a cat sejant guardant Or
|Award & Office Badges
I joined the SCA in 2014, and immediately dived into a world of wonder and realised I'd been missing out on all the fun for years! I enjoy embroidery, sewing garb and watching heavy combat. I do not have a set persona, though I tend toward Hiberno-Norse for early period and late 15th century Renaissance (based mostly on what I like to wear and sew.)
Activities and Projects
- Co-autocrat for The Tourney of the Fallen Stag, 2015
- Co-autocrat for Yule in July, 2016
- Retainer for: Etheldreda IV; Ioaness and Honig; Ivan and Matilde
- Chatelaine - The Shire of Caer Adamant - 2016-2018
- Webminister - The Shire of Caer Adamant - 2014-2016
- Member of Protectors of Athena's Thimble, EK Embroidery Guild
- Received Award of Arms at Southern Region War Camp from Omega V and Etheldreda IV, 2015
- Received Queen's Award of Esteem at Pennsic from Etheldreda IV, 2015
- Received Silver Wheel at SRWC from Kenric III and Avelina III, 2016
My surname is derived from my great-grandmother, Nellie Towey, who arrived in New York City from Roscommon County, Ireland in 1901. Towey (Twoey, Towie, Twothy, etc) is an old family name found in Ballaghaderreen and the Gaelic spelling is Tuathaigh (meaning: people of the leader.) I chose an Anglican version of the name common in the 15-16th centuries and it is pronounced O-TWO-ee.
Dionise (the 'o' is silent) is from Middle French dionise, from Latin dionysias, from Greek, of Dionysus, from Dionysos Dionysus. I chose it because Denise is my mundane name, and the association with the Greek God Dionysus.
"According to tradition, Denise was martyred during the persecution of Christians by the Emperor Decius, along with three men named Andrew, Paul, and Nichomachus. Denise was a sixteen-year-old Christian girl who vocalized her unhappiness regarding Nichomachus’ apostasy. She was brought before the proconsul Optimus, and refused to abjure her faith. Optimus condemned her to be raped by several soldiers; however, according to tradition, she was “subjected to the approaches of three libertines, but was protected by an angel.” Paul and Andrew were finally led to their execution, and were stoned to death in the local arena. Denise managed to escape from prison and locate the bodies of the two men. She publicly expressed her desire to share their martyrdom, was carried away by force, and was promptly ordered to be beheaded by Optimus.
Denise's relics were brought to the Abbey of Flône in Belgium in 1922. On the sarcophagus is embedded a marble tablet said to come from Roman catacombs; it carries the inscription: DIONISE, V.M..I.IN.P VIX. AN. XXIX. ("Denise, celebrated virgin martyr rests in peace. She lived 29 years.") In the modern era this saint is invoked for protection against bicycle and motorcycle accidents and headaches." - Wikipedia
In case of awards or court
- I adore marginalia on illuminated manuscripts, especially hybrid animals, silly monsters and allegorical figures. My favorite colors are purple, blue and silver. I love cats, goats, and crows. With that said, I am grateful to all the artists who work to make the award extra special and beautiful.
- I don't mind being surprised in court, but please at least tell my Shiremates in advance, if possible.