Bartholomew Sharpe, son of Bartholomew Sharpe, son of Bartholomew Sharpe....well you get the idea. Is a general Tudor vagabond, who can be found tracing the ups and downs of family fortune over the course of the Tudor period.
Bartholomew Sharpe hails from a family of artificers and tradesman from the East Midlands of England, specifically Northamptonshire.
The men of the Sharpe family have been tailors, bowyer's, cordwainers, foresters, bladesmiths, amd members of the trained band. They pay their taxes, wear their caps, practice their archery, and do their best not to run foul of the sumptuary laws.
Depending on what decade of the 16th century you are to encounter Bartholomew, he could a minor gentry, grubby peasant, or an aspiring court dandy. The vicious cycle of war, trade, inflation, and religious upheaval in 16th century England, dictate the fortunes of the Sharpe family.
My main focus is on the material culture of the Tudor period. I love to try and recreate items from through out the 16th century. Of particular interest to me is the broader social context that these items meant to people of the time. With every item I reproduce, I want to try and understand the who, what, when, and why of them. While I love to make outrageous clothes of the upper class, I am equally interested in making simple items used by the majority of population. in recent years my primary focus has been on clothing of the common people in the last few decades of the 16th century.
Offices & Positions
- Barony of Bergental archery champion (June 2018 to June 2019)
- Current Captain of Archers for the Barony of Bergental (January 2020 to present)
- Co-autocrate for Novice Schola, 2019*
- Co-autocrate for Novice Schola, 2020 (until the plague put pay to that)
- 12/3/2016 Silver Brooch (East) Brion III and Anna III
- 11/11/2017 Golden Lyre (East) Ivan and Matilde
- 12/2/2017 Apollo's Arrow (East) Ivan and Matilde
- 2/23/2019 Sovereign’s Order of Excellence (East) Wilhelm and Vienna
- 4/6/2019 Consort's Award of Esteem (East) Wilhelm and Vienna
- 9/14/2019 Maunche (East) Ozurr and Fortune
- Order of the Hourglass, Bergental A&S award
- Barony of Bergental Archery Champion 2018-2019
- Late Period Catagory 1st place, Brika Fashion Show
- Elite Category Winner at Artifacts of a
- Elite Category Winner at Artifacts of a Life 2020
- Masters Catagory Winner 2020 Ethereal Seamstress
Projects & Publications
2017 Artifacts of a Life entry. The personal possessions and weapons of an archer. All items were based directly off of artifacts recovered from the wreck of the Tudor warship 'Mary Rose'. This was judged the winner of the elite category at that year's event. For the competition I made a yew longbow, arrows, arrowbag, leather jerkin, ballock dagger, embroidered leather purse, bracer, beech wood comb, and wooden plates.
2020 Artifacts of Life entry. I created a variety of items that would have been seen in a tailors shop towards the end of the 1580. Items included a handsewn peascod doublet, pinking irons, tailors account book, venetian hose of "London russett", sewing stand, knit flat cap, and cast pewter thimble. The 2 stand out items to me were the peascod doublet, and the account book. The book was made with an exterior of red leather and the spine and inside were of parchment. The inside of the back cover was made to look as if it had been recycled from an earlier medieval manuscript (there are several examples of this type of reuse of earlier books). It is bound using linen thread. The contents of the book are all based on period records, and used prices I averaged by looking at multiple records dating from the 1580s and 90s.
In Case of Court
If for some unknown reason the crown would wish to confer a peerage onto Bartholomew, he would REALLY like to get a writ. As proud as he is of his working class grubby peasant ancestors, he would rather look flash if that was to happen. If your looking to track down further info, please contact Mistress Pagan.