Amalie von Hohensee
Birka A.S. 52
|Resides: Barony of Stonemarche|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Azure, three seeblätter one and two, a trimount argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Amalie von Hohensee (ah-MAH-lee-uh fon HO-en-zee)
My true love in the society is embroidery. I attended my first Athena’s Thimble meeting in late summer of 2017 and was immediately swept away with enthusiasm for needle arts. Within the embroidery world, my main focus is currently metal thread embroidery. I have also dabbled a bit in tablet weaving and lace making, both of which I hope to pursue further in the future.
Clothing history and construction is also a major interest of mine. However, I currently have a young child and find it difficult to spend much time at my sewing machine. I yearn for the day when I will someday make a sumptuous, silken Italian Renaissance ensemble...ah well...
In addition to the needle arts, I enjoy researching and performing late period vocal music. Mundanely trained as an opera singer and teacher, I have worked with Opera dell’Est and teach the occasional vocal class. I have grand schemes of someday doing a research project on vocal technique in various European countries during the late 16th century.
Clearly, I need multiple lifetimes. Good thing we are time travelers in this game!
My blog can be found at: arsamalie.wordpress.com
While my persona is technically late period German (due to my husband’s very German surname), my true love is all things Tudor. I often can be found wearing the styles of Renaissance England, practicing the music and embroidery of the period as well. However, I also enjoy exploring other times and places, and have dabbled in early 14th century English garb and embroidery. For convenience, I am often seen at Pennsic in Roman, or occasionally Viking, garb.
Espoused to Gerhardt von Hohensee
Inhabitant of the Barony of Stonemarche
Erstwhile apprentice to Elena Hylton
Teacher to Richard Heyworth
- Clothier to TRM Wilhelm and Vienna (Coronation)
- Order of the Silver Brooch
- Senior Member-in-training of Athena's Thimble
- Order of the Maunche
- Clothier to HRM Margarita (EK 12th Night)
- Clothier to TRM Tindal and Alberic (Coronation)
- Order of the Laurel
- Winner of the Artisan category at the St. Eligius A&S Competition, AS 53
- Member of the A&S War Point Champions team for Pennsic 48
- Winner of the Populace Choice A&S at Birka XXXI
- Winner of the Middle Period category at the Birka XXXI Fashion Show
- Crown A&S Champion, AS 54
- Finalist at Crown Bardic Championship, AS 55
A&S Classes and Documentation
- The History of Goldwork Embroidery (Handout) (Goldwork Bibliography)
- Opus Anglicanum: Materials, Techniques, and History (Handout)
- Stilo Recitativo and the Birth of Opera
- Vocal Technique for Singers
- Crown A&S 2020 - Recreating and Opus Anglicanum Fragment
- Pennsic 48 War Point - Designing and Creating a Sixteenth Century-Inspired Embroidered Book Cover
- Crown A&S 2019 - A Comfortable Treatise: Recreating an Early Seventeenth Century Embroidered Book Cover
A Facebook photo album of Amalie's A&S projects is available here
Selected History of Service
- Made various items of largesse and Consort's favors
- Made new cushions and a kneeler for the Stonemarche baronial thrones
- Made regalia for a variety of Stonemarche champions
- Deputy Minister of Arts and Sciences to Stonemarche, 2019-2020
- Senior Member-in-Training for Athena's Thimble
- Northern Region A&S deputy, 2020-present
- Class coordinator for Harper's Retreat, Plague Edition (online event, 2020) and Harper's Retreat, Plague Edition 2 (in-person event, 2021)
- Clothier to the Crown for a number of reigns (see above)
- Served as class monitor for many A&S classes held online during the pandemic
- Assisted with editing Ethereal Courts 8, 9, 10 and 12 of Tindal and Alberic
In Case of Court
Please contact Gerhardt von Hohensee. I would be happy to receive an award via virtual court during our collective time in exile.