Walking to Court
|Resides: Shire of Hadchester (Union Maine)|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Azure, a stag's head cabossed and in chief three mullets Or.
|Award & Office Badges|
I am Lord Alexander Clarke, Esquire, and I reside in the Shire of Hadchester. I have been involved in the SCA since 2002 where I first started attending heavy list practices in Malagentia. After graduating college I moved back to my home town and was instrumental in the formation of what is now the Shire of Hadchester, serving as its first Senechal from 2008 to 2010.
The year is 1417, I have been afforded, by the Grace of Henry Fifth of that name, King of England, the stewardship of a small parcel of land abutting that of his other loyal servant, and my employer, Thomas Chaucer, here near the hamlet of Ewelme, South Oxfordshire. The land is hunted, harvested, and farmed enough to bring in a comfortable income for my family of four, and there is even extra to be spent from working as a Clerk for Chaucer. "Cogginswood" (as we call it) even boasts a small vineyard two which delights our neighbors.
Offices & Positions
- Seneschal of the Shire of Hadchester, then called Hadrian's Keep, 2008-2010, 2021-Present
- Herald of the Shire of Hadchester 2016-2019
- Event Steward Orchard Wars I- Hadchester 2010
- Tournament Coordinator Orchard Wars III- Hadchester 2013
- Event Steward/Tournament Coordinator Tourney of the Northern Seas- Hadchester 2015
- Deed Coordinator- GNEW 2013 to Present.
- Public Demo Coordinator, Hadchester 2013
- Organizer of "The Deed" at GNEW 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 & 34. This is a recreation of a 14th century tournament. Information available at www.deedsandfeatsofarms.wordpress.com
- Deed at GNEW set designer and builder- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022.
- Deed at GNEW Combat Ruleset Designer- 2013-2022
- Champion of the Deed of Arms, GNEW 32. Bearer of the Original Shield of Chivalry (Deed Shield) in perpetuity.
- Organizer of "The Viking Deed," GNEW 32 & 33
- Warlord of Hadchester GNEW 32
- Handsomest Man in the East Kingdom. Brennan and Caoilfhionn (but mostly Brennan) GNEW 32
- Companion of the Order of Excellence AS XLIV
- East Kingdom Northern Region A&S Champion AS LV
- Creator of the Newcomer Mug Challenge AS LIII
- Creator of the "Tyger Pride" Pin fundraiser for the EK Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion AS LIII and the EK Office of the Accessibility Porter AS LV
- A&S Judge- Endewearde Baronial Championship- 2018
- A&S Judge- Artifacts of a Life- 2020
- A&S Judge- Crown A&S Championship 2020 & 2021.
- Server Coordinator- Harvest Moon, Malegentia 2010.
- Second Place A&S Populace Choice winner, Tournament of the Roses, Quintavia, for the honor of Duchess Meggie. 2023.
- A&S Display Organizer- GNEW 35
- How a Man Shall be Armed: Putting Together a 14th Century Deed Kit- GNEW 2013
- How to take a leg cast for making greaves. With Lord Enzo di Pazi of Aethelmarc- GNEW 2017
- That Terrible Day at Agincourt- GNEW 2018, Ethereal 2020 & 2021 (On October 25th)
- Thomas Chaucer: The most interesting man you've never heard of.- GNEW 2018
- The Truth About Agincourt - Ethereal A&S 2020
- The Hundred Years War, in a nutshell- Ethereal A&S 2020
- For He Was a Forester, I Guess- Endeweard Hunt 2019 & Panther Vale Virtual Studium Generale 2021
- The Agincourt Soldier- Panther Vale Virtual Studium General 2021
- The English Yeomanry- Ethereal A&S 2020
- Building A Person: How a solid framework leads to persona success- An Tir Barony of Three Mountains Birthday Virtual Event 2021
- How to Block a Bycocket- FB Live Stream on EK Unofficial 2021
- For the Emperor:Chinese Ambassadors in 14th century Europe. -GNEW 2022
- Beyond England and France: Other major players of the Hundred Years’ War. -Private Class for Royal Fundraiser, 2022
- Agincourt: Decoupling Shakespeare’s Henry V from the 1415 Lancastrian Campaign in France.- 2023 Drachenwalde Kingdom University, virtual event.
- Remembering the Dead: Effigies, Brasses, and Funerary Achievements in Medieval England.- GNEW 35
- But I saw it in a manuscript!- GNEW 35
- His SCA Project Blog is available to view at www.unexpectedmaunche.wordpress.com
- Court Preferences: Alexander has no preference over in person of ethereal courts. He also does not mind awards being delivered by emissary if Royal Progress isn’t available.
If he is at an event with his children he would appreciate a warning of court summons so he has adequate time to secure childcare.
- Outside of the SCA, Alexander is a Certified Interpretive Guide through the National Association of Interpreters, and is working on his Small Museum Pro! certification through the American Association of State and Local History, and his Heritage Interpreter certification through the NAI.
- He is currently serving his second 3 year term on the Educators and Interpreters Advisory Committee for the American Association of State and Local History which will end in 2026.
- Professionally he runs an Educational Lecture and Presentation service called History Live! North East, that is dedicated to brining high fidelity, accurate, informative and engaging history presentations to schools, libraries and other civic organizations. www.historylivenortheast.org
- He also has a research blog at www.chaucercompangie.wordpress.com
- And he is the Co-Host of the Reenactor Podcast "How Two Medieval." https://anchor.fm/howtwomedieval