Vika Grigina z Prahy
Azure, a chevron Or etoilly Azure between three hawks displayed Or
|Award & Office Badges|
At Vika's first post-college job interview, one question was "Do you go to Pennsic?" and her answer was, "what's a Pennsic?". Now look at her.
Born to a goldsmith at the court of Emperor Karel IV in Prague; became a seamstress to the court as well, and thus traveled in Karel's train on his historic visit to Paris in 1377. When the Emperor left, Vika stayed in France to expand her needle skills.
Sometimes, however, she can be found in 16th century Florence.
...Additionally, since taking up with a gentleman of Elizabeth's court, she is learning the tailoring techniques proper to that time and place.
Offices & Positions
- Barony of Settmour Swamp land agent, Pennsic 41-47
- Deputy Seneschal, Canton of Whyt Whey (Sep. 2017 - Dec. 2017)
- Deputy Webminister, Canton of Whyt Whey (Dec. 2017 - Aug. 2018)
- Seneschal, Canton of Whyt Whey (Dec. 2017 - current)
- Webminister, EK Ministry of Arts & Sciences (Jan. 2018 - current)
- Webminister, Canton of Whyt Whey (Aug. 2018 - current)
- minor bits of assistant gophering over the years
- Co-cook, dayboard, East Kingdom Twelfth Night, January 2011
- Co-autocrat, A Day in the Solar, 6/7/14
- Co-autocrat and instructor, A Day in the Solar, 6/20/15
- Co-autocrat and instructor, A Day in the Solar, 6/18/16
- Co-autocrat, Picnic in the Ruins, 4/29/17
- Co-autocrat, Picnic in the Ruins, 4/29/18
Projects & Classes
- Half-Linings Considered Harmful: fabric & construction choices for late 14thc. fitted gowns | handout (taught at Pennsic 42, 43, 44)
- Basic 14th Century Tablet-Woven Edge (taught at Pennsic 42)
- 14th Century Purse Embellishments | handout (taught at Embroiderers' Schola, 2/21/15; A Day in the Solar, 6/20/15; Pennsic 44; Schola in the Shire, 2/13/16; Academy of St. Clare, 4/1/17)
- 14th Century Tablet-Woven Edge, The Hands-On Edition | handout (taught at Schola in the Shire, 2/13/16; Pennsic 45)
- A Brief Survey of Banners | handout (taught at A Day in the Solar, 6/18/16; Pennsic 46)
- Elizabethan Working Clothes | handout (taught at Pennsic 45, 46)
- Project Management Techniques for A&S Projects | OUTLINE ONLY (taught at Pennsic 47)
Some A&S Documentation
- Bocksten Man in a Time of Climate Change, displayed at Pennsic 47
- Pourpoint based on the Pourpoint of Charles de Blois, entered at Crown's A&S Champions, Feb. 2018 and displayed at Pennsic 47
- Elizabethan Bonnet, displayed at Pennsic 45
- Heraldic Banner, displayed at Mudthaw, Apr. 2016 and Pennsic 45
- Mid-16th century gown, displayed at Pennsic 44
- Hand-sewn late Gothic ensemble, displayed at Pennsic 42, comprising...