Phaedra de Vere
Opening ceremonies, Pennsic 2017
Vert a lily affrontee argent within a bordure or
|Award & Office Badges|
Lady Phaedra de Vere started playing in the SCA in the Shire of Ravenslake in the Middle Kingdom in 2006, then moved to Atlantia in 2011 and to the East Kingdom in 2017.
She adores teaching historical fencing (specifically Fabris) and can often be found near the rapier list with the Carolingian Calivers and Handsome Boys. She also makes portrait-inspired jewelry for her Etsy shop, The Gilded Thistle, which occasionally makes appearances at events as a merchant. She has a difficult time sitting still without working on something, so she's often found with embroidery, sewing, or some other craft in her hands.
Also known as "The Sandwich Fairy", she provides delicious sandwich lunches to many hungry souls and warms hands and hearts with hot drinks on cold days.
Phaedra's persona varies, mostly depending on whether she is fencing that day.
When not fighting, she is known for her elaborate portrayal of a Tang Dynasty (600-900 AD) Chinese courtesan.
If it's a fighting or working day, she's most likely to be either 16th Century English (fencing garb), 15th Century English (cotehardies or a fancy Burgundian gown known as "Big and Purple"), or Imperial Roman (if it's especially hot).
- Provost to Master Lucas Otto Gustav Oswald Stephen vom Schnecke (called Sir LOGOS), KSCA, OP, OD, OL, Middle Kingdom
- Captain of the Company of Saint Jude
- Non-melee member of the Carolingian Caliver Company
- Member of Clan Faolach, Duchy Von Drachenklaue
- Member of the Knowne World Courtesan's Guild and the Company of the Sable Domino
- Owner of the Shiny Pants
- Sandwich Fairy
Awards and Honors
- Award of Arms, Middle Kingdom, Festival of Maidens, 2007
- Companion of the Order of the Willow (embroidery), Middle Kingdom, 2008(?)
- Holder of the Iron Ring of the Middle Kingdom (January 2010-April 2010)
- Companion of the Order of the Silver Brooch, East Kingdom 50 Year Celebration, 2018
Offices & Positions
- Chronicler, Shire of Ravenslake, MK, 2007-2008
- Minister of Arts & Sciences, Shire of Ravenslake, MK, 2008-2010
- Bocce Ball Champion, Shire of Ravenslake, MK, 2009
- Retainer, Caoilfhionn III and Brennan III, 2017-2018
- Queen's Guard, Caoilfhionn III, 2018
- Retainer, Ozurr I and Fortune I, 2018-2019
- co-Autocrat, Middle Kingdom Academy of Defense (MKAoD), 2010(?)
- Class Co-ordinator, multiple events in the Middle Kingdom hosted by the Shire of Ravenslake
- Fabris fencing and Chinese garb teacher at multiple events in the Middle Kingdom, Atlantia, Pennsic, and anywhere else she can get people to hold still and let her teach them stuff.
- Midrealm Bronze Ring Badge with Midlands Dragon embroidery -- My very first embroidery, made with chain stitch and a bit of satin stitch for Master Alexander de Seton; completed 2008?
- Lion of Ansteorra Badge embroidery -- My second ever embroidery project
- The Big Red Dress of Doom--Tang Dynasty hanfu with accompanying jewelry; red and black cotton with brocade; completed February 2010
- Fencing Doublet--16th Century doublet, based on an extant doublet in Spain; grey cotton twill with black velvet stripes and linen mini-ruff; completed early 2010
- Harry--Tang Dynasty style court wig with accompanying jewelry; completed April? 2011
- Gertrude--Tang Dynasty style court wig with accompanying jewelry; completed February 2014
- Big & Purple--Burgundian style gown c.1460s England; purple cotton velveteen, red silk dupioni, cream silk dupioni, cream fake fur; completed 2016-2017
- Steve the Wig--Tang Dynasty style court wig with accompanying jewelry; completed for Pennsic 2017
Phaedra teaches Italian rapier whenever possible and is always happy to drill with people. Classes include:
- Fabris 101: Stick Your Butt Out and Kill Someone
- Fabris 102: Sword and Dagger
She is also happy to teach Chinese garb and hairstyling or answer questions for the curious.
Her A&S (and general project) blog can be found at Sartorial Dominance Displays.
In Case of Court
Advance warning that being called into court might be a thing would be GREATLY appreciated due to mild social anxiety.
I would absolutely love a scroll made by Camille des Jardins or Christiana Crane, if they're able and willing. Please do not feel obligated to make any scrolls Chinese-themed! I adore European styles of calligraphy/illumination, too!