Kassir Ni Deoraine
|Award & Office Badges|
My name is Baroness Cassair Ni Deoraine, of Concordia of the Snows. I have been in the SCA for over 25 years. I have been a chancellor of minors for all of it, working with generations of children on concepts of honor, art and service. I have watched several generations of children grow to adult in the SCA, and admire the adults they have become. I have served at Pennsic on a mental health team called the bleeding hearts with the EMT’s. I have studied the art of hair and worked with it both as a service, to make a person suffering from an illness more comfortable, or a coronet fit better, or as an art form to make a lady feel prettier, more period in her persona, or simply to make veiling sit properly. I work both with period materials with hair, and some modern supplies as well. I have worked with Viking, roman, Italian, English styles of hair. Short, long, simple, complex, veils, extensions. I have taught several classes on how to do hair, and offered private instruction as well. It is truly fun. I have also been a retainer several different peers in many different capacities. I am fascinated with service and keeping service people running.
My name traces back to 5th century Irish, from the eastern side of Ireland. Several centuries later a nun Cassair founded the sanctuary that Saint Francis resided at.
In dress I move around through the times, mostly working with clothing that is easy to serve in, is flattering, and not difficult to replicate.
In nature, I suspect I remain ever your humble servant.
Offices & Positions
- Chancellor of Minor’s, Barony of Concordia, End of Their Excellencies Emerson and e’Leri’s reign, There Excellencies Balthasar and Lucia’s Reign, and some of Baron Pierre’s.
- Working on Bleeding hearts 2002,2003 at Pennsic (mental Health Team)
- Continued Baronial Chancellor of Minor’s until 2005.
- Continued to be Chancellor of Minor at large to this date... I have not let it Expire
- Attended events, and did quiet service such as attending needs of lost members, getting garb, and watching my daughter so that my husband could pursue his career in the SCA. Worked a children’s event 1-2x/year from 2006-2015.
- Attended Avelina and Kenric, Vienna and Wilheim, Ivan and Matilde, Event co-ordiator for Her Majesty Margarita, Head Retainer for Their Majesties Tindal and Alberic
- Produced several court videos for the time of COVID
I have styled, braided, and tied up hair since 1996, though I have only been documenting it for the last three or four years. I often go to people, often in need, and get their hair function, period and pretty. I have a group of people that actively seek me out at most events I attend in order for me to get their hair up, and ready to veil or tied. I can be quietly seen doing this for years.
- Feast o Crat with Margo Farnsworth Kings and Queens Bardic Barony of Concordia March 11, 2000
- Began a retainer for TRH Avelina And Kenric II through 2016 spring and summer.
- Served the East Kingdom Dinner at Pennsic in 2016.
- Ran the Teen night for East Kingdom Royal 2016, 2018
- Serve as Hair dresser and Retainer for TRM Ivan and Mathilde, retained for regiens of Avelina and Kenric III, B&C, I&M, V&W,
- Event Co-ordinator for TRM Margaretia
Contentiously braided, woven, sewn hair at every event I have attended for over 20 years. Taught a few classes, however find instruction works better individually for people are more comfortable, and have a solid hair following of people who come and "sit" for me and that I love and know. Ran Palidin's pantry for EK 50, and Roses 2019.
- Serve as head retainer to our Excellencies JP and Lily of Concordia and Maria and Phalen (6+years)
Projects & Publications
As Chancellor of Minor’s, I wrote the Snow Hare favor program. It is a program set up to nurture children in the SCA, help them find their interests, as well as engage them longer term between events. It was published in bi-laws in Concordia in the late 1990’s, and much of the kingdom awards can be traced to it in some way. It is currently being brought back into Concordia, for children and families to take pride in and enjoy once again.
I have styled, braided, and tied up hair since 1996, though I have only been documenting it for the last three or four years. I often go to people, often in need, and get their hair function, period and pretty. I have a group of people that actively seek me out at most events I attend in order for me to get their hair up, and ready to veil or tied. I can be quietly seen doing this for years. You can refer to my facebook page (public) for some of the work that I have done.
I am working on a model of service as retainers to Baron and Baroness, that will not look the same as the royal model. It has different needs and different time frames. I am hoping to practice this in a few other baronies before presenting it at Pennsic.