Black Finn of Preachain
Vindiorix "Black Finn" Ordovix
Vindiorix Ordovix's Device
|Award & Office Badges|
Vindiorix "Black Finn" Ordovix of Clan Preachain, Fir naLeon, the Shire of Mountain Freehold, and the Northern Army.
A 1st Century CE Briton of the Ordovices tribe.
Forester, fighter, brewer, and half-ass maker of various things.
Vindiorix Ordovix is a late 1st Century CE Briton of the Ordovices Tribe from what is now western Wales. He served for a time as a legionnaire with Legio V Alaudae along the Rhine frontier and during the Batavian Rebellion of 70 CE. When he learned Rome was campaigning against the tribes of western Britain in 74 CE, he deserted from the legion and made his way back to defend his homeland. Four years later, in 78 CE, Rome successfully defeated the Ordovices and conquered Mona. Vindiorix fled Britannia and served as an auxiliary cavalryman with Ala Gallorum et Thracum Constantium in Syria. He now serves with Legio III Polaris (3rd Division of the East Kingdom's Northern Army).
See "Masterwork Submission: Persona" for additional information: Paper
Group and Guild Memberships
- Shire of Mountain Freehold
- Clan Preachain (Household)
- Fir na Leon (Household)
- East Kingdom's Northern Army, Third Division
- East Kingdom Royal Forester's Guild
- East Kingdom Brewer's Guild
- Stonemarche Apothecary Guild
Awards and Recognition
- Award of Arms - Panteria 2018
- Sliver Brooch - Mudthaw 2019
- Silver Tyger - Mimir's Well 2020
East Kingdom Forester's Guild:
- Forester - Panteria 2018
- Ranger (Order of Saint Hubert) - Endewearde Hunt 2018
- Master Forester - Mimir's Well 2020
East Kingdom Brewer's Guild:
- Brewer - Birka 2019
Offices and Positions
- Former Keeper of the Royal Forest of Mountain Freehold in the Shire of Mountain Freehold (2016 - 2019)
- Sergeant in 3rd Division, Northern Army, East Kingdom
- Introduction to the EK Royal Foresters Guild (October 2016)
- Basic Forester Skills (October 2016)
- Basic Knots for SCA Camping (October 2016)
- Wild Edibles and Medicines (February 2017)
- Introduction to Tracking (April 2017)
- SCA Period Packs and Straps (AKA "How to Carry Stuff") (February 2018)
- Wild Edibles and Domestic Fires (May 2018 and August 2019), co-taught with Corotica "Clovis" Senebelenae of Preachain, Pennsic Independent article here: PI 9 August 2019
- A Romano-Celtic Cena (September 2018), co-taught with Corotica "Clovis" Senebelenae of Preachain
- Forester Kit (AKA "What Should I Carry, and Why?") (March 2019)
- Reconnaissance Patrol Class Appendix 1 Appendix 2 (May 2019)
- Children's Class: Introduction to Tracking (May 2019)
- Experimental Bronze Age Mead Class taught at BrewU (August 2020) Class Notes Documentation
- Romano-Celtic Hard and Soft Kit: Working Toward a More Historically Accurate Persona (September 2020)
East Kingdom Brewer's Guild Entries
- First entry: Hydromeli (ca 77 CE), Panel Score 94 of 100 points, Panel Link, Recipe Link, Recipe Addendum Link
- Third entry: Ninkasi - Sumerian Ale (ca 1800 BCE), Panel Score 96 of 100 points, Recipe Link
- Fourth entry: Meadowsweet Mead (Bronze Age Scotland), Panel Score 63 of 70 points (0-30 for Workmanship not scored because it was an online paneling at BrewU due to COVID-19) Panel Link
- Leather work (pouches, sheaths, and bog shoes) for Corotica and my personae.
- Otzi-style pack frames based on artifacts and documentation from the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology. Link
- Roy Croft pack frame, based on Mors Kochanski's book Northern Bushcraft. Anachronistic, but a reasonable and technologically legitimate approximation of period packs.
- Stick (award winning entry at the 2018 Shire of Mountain Freehold Feast of Fools Silly A&S competition).
- Teaching burning in a bowl and spoon with coals, Early Period A&S, Pennsic 48.
- Celtic Shields, based on period examples but modified for SCA heavy combat.
- Reconnaissance and Security: European Medieval Military Doctrine, scored 32.5 of 48 points at EK K&Q A&S Competition at Mudthaw 2019, Paper Annotated Bibliography
- Masterwork Submission: Persona, accepted as my East Kingdom Royal Foresters Guild masterwork submission in December 2019, Paper
- SCA Battle Planning: A primer on how to plan large-scale SCA battles using appropriate tactical fundamentals (December 2019) Paper
In Case of Court
Please inform my wife, Corotica "Clovis" Senebelenae (Jennifer Davis) if I need to attend court.
In mundane life I am Justin Davis, a career military officer and outdoors enthusiast. I dabbled in the SCA in college but only really became active starting in 2016 with the Shire of Mountain Freehold.
Vindiorix "Black Finn" Ordovix is in NO WAY related to Jack Flynn the infamous poacher known to frequent the forests of Mountain Freehold.