Per pale purpure and vert, on a chief argent a raven displayed sable
|Award & Office Badges|
Doroga Voronin is an avid fencer and member of the Handsome Boys. He is a voice herald who also studies Norse runes and mythology. His primary obsession is the study and research of La Verdadera Destreza, a 16th century Spanish fencing.
- Cadet Alonso de la Mano Negro
- Former Cadet to Don Devillin MacPherson
Doroga was born in Russia in the mid 1500’s to a family of traveling performers. While still young he headed out on his own to travel the world. He made his way performing across northern Europe, France and Spain all the while studying those cultures along with what fighting arts they had to offer. It was while on this path that he became fascinated with fencing. He eventually arrived in Italy to study with none other than the world renowned and some might say notorious fencing master Scaramouche. It was while studying with his master that he was approached by Dionisio da Desio, another of the master’s students, with an invitation to audition for their local gang. After a brutal household beating and more trauma than anyone should be expected to endure he was accepted into the ranks of the Handsome Boys and now lives, fights, drinks, and adventures with this group of rogues.
- Golden Rapier - Brennan III and Caoilfhionn III - 7/14/2018
- Maunche - Brennan III and Caoilfhionn III - 7/14/2018
- King's and Queen's Arts and Sciences Champions (Queen's Champ) - Ivan and Matilde - 2/10/18
- Order of the Silver Brooch - Ivan and Matilde - 12/2/17
- Blue Tyger Legion as a member of the Handsome Boys - Kenric III and Avelina III - 8/12/16
- Order of the Silver Rapier - Kenric III and Avelina III - 8/9/16
- Award of Arms - Brennan II and Caoilfhionn II - 10/3/2015
- Queen's Award of Esteem - Omega and Etheldreda - 8/4/2015
Offices & Positions
- Queen’s Champion of Arts & Sciences, East Kingdom (2018-2019)
- Pennsic 46 and 47 Rapier Single Champions Team
- Deputy Troubadour Herald (2015-Present)
- Rapier Marshall at Large (2015-Present)
- Pennsic University Instructor 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Voice Herald
Arts and Science Participation
- Laurel's Prize Tourney 2017 - Research Challenge - Entered La Verdadera Destreza Research Paper
- King and Queens A&S Championship 2016 - Display (La Verdadera Destreza fencing research)
- St. Eligius A&S Competition 2015 - Winner of Honorable Mention for Period Fencing Demonstration
- Hosted Martial Arts Arts & Sciences Panel Discussion - Pennsic 47
- Taught "La Verdadera Destreza: Researching Spanish Fencing" - Pennsic 46
- Taught "Destreza Spanish Fencing Circle Use and Footwork" - Pennsic 45 and 47
- Hosted "La Verdadera Destreza Meet and Greet" - Pennsic 45
- Taught "Introduction to Traditional Filipino Martial Arts and their relation to SCA Combat" - Pennsic 44
- Master of Ceremonies for Queen's Tea Party - Pennsic 44
- Herald for Countess Marguerite Ingen Lachlainn, Ladies of the Rose Tournament, 2014 - Winner of the Ladies of the Rose Heraldic Award.
- Winner of Novice Rapier Tournament - Pennsic 42
Projects and Publications
- Doroga's fencing experiences and research can be found on his blog: Black Birds and Blades
- La Verdadera Destreza Resource List: an annotated list of period and modern sources on the topic of Destreza
- Research Paper: The Essential Elements of the Spanish Fencing Art of La Verdadera Destreza: Defining the Style Across the Masters
- An annotated bibliography of the most commonly discussed Destreza or Dretreza-adjacent masters (along with notes on modern authors who write about them).
- The Spanish Circle Through the Years: a blog post examining various Destreza circles from period texts.
- Edited Destreza: Historical Fencing by Sébastien Romagnan, 2nd edition.