Written by Grim the Skald in the Old Norse Meter of kvithuhattr. This is an account of the Snowberg Army, the combined forces of the Baronies of Concordia of the Snows and Bergental, and the battles of the 33rd Pennsic War (A.S. 39)
|Listen now||to lay of war|
|Baron’s skald||to battle came|
|Soldier new||with Snowberg’s men|
|Bold steel peer||bade him “Go fight!”|
|Sing I now||of Snowberg troop|
|Lordly thanes||their leaders: two|
|Kai MacClain||the King-souled knight|
|Kelson spoke,||King of the East|
|Bade them come,||the barons to him|
|Snowberg’s men||to swell his ranks|
|Ancient foe||to fight once more|
|Brave Angus||banda leader|
|Friend of skald||forged poet’s glaive|
|Hired clansmen||hardened soldiers|
|Swift they joined||Snowberg’s war-men|
|To Pennsic’s||plain, barons went|
|Long roads walked,||led our army|
|Ached to fell||in Aethelmarc|
|Many trees||of Mid-Realm root|
|Three bridges||broke two armies|
|Swarth cut by||swirling waters|
|Waning light||leaked through dark clouds|
|Violent winds||whipped the banners|
|Snowberg longed||to lash the Midrealm|
|Trees of steel||started crossing|
|Charged on through||churning battle|
|Spears shot out||sprang through foe-men|
|Bearish John||barreled forward|
|Straight and true||stabbed the Dragon|
|Back stepped he||to breathe and rest|
|Forward went||the whey faced Grim|
|To the fray||took Grim his branch|
|‘til steel point||pierced falcon’s ground|
|Back he went||bruised and wounded|
|While shield mates||made their crossing|
|One knight blocked||the baron’s fighters|
|Garbed in black||with golden star|
|Fierce spearman,||foe of East Realm|
|Came to face||Kai and Randal|
|Moved as one||the East’s two spears|
|Bridge then shook||from battle’s rage|
|That cruel foe||felled the Tigers|
|Black dragon||had bit Syr Kai|
|Those who lived||leapt then forward,|
|Went to shield||the wounded Kai|
|Eager for||Odin’s weather|
|Fearsome rush||rent the shield line|
|Water fell||washed the fighters|
|Streams of blood||stained the rainfall|
|Fire struck then||from the Heavens|
|Thor-flung bolts||burned the war field|
|Mid-Realm fled||field of battle|
|Snowberg’s men||sought shelter too|
|Kelson’s fists||camped ‘till daybreak|
|Great victory||greeted them then|
|That battle||broke King Felix|
|Quarter asked||to quit the field|
|Yield did he||the yearly fight|
|Aethelmarc’s land||to leave in peace|
|Taking forth||their tents and arms|
|Snowberg left||to lands of hearth|
|Strayed back to||star and snowflake|
|Summer’s oaks||saw their homesteads|
|Tell they now||the tales of war|
|All starting:||I shall not sit|
|There we were:||that was the war|
|Mid-realm’s camp||caught the thunder|
© 2004 Dan Marsh
- This is a reference to Baron Baltasar Mondragon of Concordia, mentioned in the next stanza, who has been justly praised for the steely portions of his physique.
- The Snowberg Army is the combined unit of the Baronies of Concordia of the Snows and Bergental of the East Kingdom.
- When Syr Kai originally received his Grand Master Bowman, certain merry Bergentallers wrote “Kai for King” upon the soles of his shoes.
- A Banda is a division of the Snowberg Army. A unit of men.
- Angus hired Clan McGroyne (a.k.a. the “generic mercs”) to fight alongside Snowberg
- Trees are a common kenning for “men,” particularly warriors, in Norse Poetry. This Kenning is used throughout the poem, a technique which Snorri Sturlason refers to as “allegory.”
- John the Bear is a member of the unit.
- As the Dragon is the emblem of the Mid-Realm, I am using that as a kenning for the Mid-Realm army or for Mid-Realm soldiers.
- This is a personal account of my first time fighting at Pennsic, hence "whey-faced"
- A Kenning for “arm”
- Duke Randall and Syr Kai are famous as an effective pair of spearmen.
- A Kenning for “battle”
- Thor, being the god of Thunder, throws lightning.
- The King of the Mid Realm that year.
- The arms of Bergental and Concordia, respectively, are charged with a star and snowflake.
- In fact, at the 33rd Pennsic War, a lightning bolt struck very near the Mid-Realm encampment, probably grounding out on the lightning rod at the barn. Stories vary as to where it actually hit, but a tree in the encampment was affected, and speaker wire there was completely destroyed.