Baron Simon Caid Unbelted Tourney January 2010
Per pale gules and argent, a boar rampant within a bordure charged with crosses crosslet counterchanged. Registered August 2003 via the Outlands.
|Award & Office Badges|
- Began playing in the SCA in the fall of 1988 in the Kingdom of Ansteorra.
- Since then, has lived in Caid, Drachenwald, the Outlands, Caid again, the Palatine Barony of the Far West, and now the East Kingdom.
- Name registered August of 2003 via the Outlands.
- | Crown Morning a treochair for The Honorable Lord Simon Montgumery, written by Mistress Caitlin Christiana Wintour of Caid
Simon Montgumery was born early in the year of Our Lord 1545, at Skelmorlie Castle, Ayrshire, Scotland to Mary Fraser and James Montgumery. James was a cousin of Hugh Montgomerie, Earl of Eglinton. At the time of Simon's birth, James was serving as a man at arms to the Earl. Mary Fraser was an illegitimate daughter of Thomas Fraser, 2nd Lord Lovat and Chieftain of Clan Fraser.
Not long after Simon's birth, James, along with two other Montgumery cousins, invested in three merchant ships and began importing and exporting goods from berths and offices in the Port of Greenock on the River Clyde. He bought a small townhouse for Mary and Simon in Glasgow and was gone for most of each year on his merchanting forays all over Europe. Due to his many and lengthy absences, Mary would spend a great part of each year in the Highlands with her Fraser family, taking her young son with her. Despite his absences, James wanted his son to be well educated and hired many tutors for him over the years. At the age of 9, Simon was fostered to the Earl of Eglinton's household at Skelmorlie Castle. At the age of 15, Simon followed in the footsteps of many young Catholic Scots of good family and journied to France to be educated at the Scots College in Paris.
With the sponsorship of the Earl of Eglinton, Simon eventually joined the French King's Scots Guards. He first served as a page of honor to Gabriel, Comte de Montgomery, a distant cousin, who was Captain of the Scots Guard. Simon was thrilled to be a guard of honor during the procession celebrating the marriage of the Dauphin Francois to the very young Mary Queen of Scots.
At the age of 20, Simon left the Scots Guard and joined his father's merchant business. Simon for a time was stationed in their Paris office, using his many contacts in the Guard to widen the family's business presence in France. In 1567, Simon's father contracted a marriage for him to a daughter of the Hepburn family, Margaret, who was at that time also living in France. Married in Paris, they would eventually return to Scotland via Bruges after the death of Simon's father James.
Upon his return to Scotland, Simon took over the family's Greenock office. He eventually moved South down the coast to Ardrossan, another Montgomery family seat, purchasing a small farm in the countryside where he settled his wife and young son. Redstanes House on Westermarch farm in the hills northwest of Ardrossan is also home to Kitty and Bet, two Fraser cousins of Simon's who act as nursemaid to their son and personal maid to his wife Margaret, respectively. Young William Montgumery, the son of Simon's second eldest half-brother, has also been fostered to their household.
Simon travels extensively six months out of the year. In league with his two older half-brothers, the company imports wool to Bruges (they do not try to compete with the much more superior Melrose wool) and other Flemish Low Country cities. They also trade with the established Scots merchant communities in Bordeaux and Dieppe in France, Bergen in Norway, Mälmo in Sweden, Elsinore and Copenhagen in Denmark, along the Baltic Sea at Danzig, and even as far as Russia, trading salt, fish, hides, wool and linen for much needed raw materials such as iron, timber and furs and also trading for luxury goods such as wine, brandy and French books, glass from the Low Countries and even oranges from Spain.
Offices & Positions
- Tribune, Baronial Levy, Barony of Starkhafn, Kingdom of Caid
- Baronial Guard, Starkafn, Caid
- Southern Regional Deputy Seneschal, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Seneschal, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Exchequer, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Knight Marshal, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Rapier Marshal, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Herald, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Kingdom of the Outlands
- Rapier Marshal, Barony of Dun Or, Caid
- Co-Event Steward, Yule in July, Shire of Caer Adamant, 7/2016
- Event Steward, Tourney of the Fallen Stag, Shire of Caer Adamant, 10/2015 <>
- Event Steward, Barony of Starkhafn Yule, Caid 12/2008
- Event Steward, War of the Staked Plains, Shire of Blackwater Keep, the Outlands 10/06
- Event Steward, War of the Staked Plains, Shire of Blackwater Keep, the Outlands 10/05
- Event Steward, War of the Staked Plains, Shire of Blackwater Keep, the Outlands 10/02
- Event Steward, Shire Defender, Shire of Blackwater Keep, the Outlands, 04/02
- Member of East Kingdom Unbelted Heroic Team, Pennsic 2016
- Defender of Hartshorn-dale, Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East, 2016
- Defender of Caer Adamant, Shire of Caer Adamant, East 2014
- Defender of Caer Adamant, Shire of Caer Adamant, East 2012
- Shield of Chivalry, King Bela Queen Claudia, 5/06 - 10/06 [Outlands]
- Rapier Defender, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Outlands 4/06
- Rapier Defender, Shire of Blackwater Keep, Outlands 4/05
- Kahlland Protector, Shire of Kahlland, Outlands, 9/04
- Kahlland Protector, Shire of Kahlland, Outlands 9/02
- Queen's Guard Rex Jaxarticus Regina Kathryn II 11/01 - 5/02 [Outlands]
Registered Heraldic Badges
- On a compass rose argent a capital letter S gules.
- A boar rampant gules crusilly argent.
- A skull argent jessant de lys gules. Joint Badge with Margaret Hepburn of Ardrossan