Scolastica and HRM Margarita at Bhakail Yule
|Resides: Barony of Bhakail, Philadelphia PA|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Per bend sinister gules and azure, a drawn bow reversed with arrow nocked and a unicorn couchant contourny regardant argent
|Award & Office Badges|
My name is Scolastica Capellaria. I have been involved in the SCA since May of 2019. I was once a medieval art history student, fascinated with art objects that sat on museum shelves undocumented, unseen and often unloved. I wrote my undergraduate Honors Thesis on Ivory Mirror cases from the fourteenth century and explored the topics of courtly love, chess, and ivory carving production which exploded during this period. Fast forward six years, a career change, and a move across the country, I was watching costume making videos on youtube and stumbled across Morgan Donner making a medieval cotehardie. For the first time, I realized I could not only do the things that I loved, making historical costumes, researching medieval artwork, and eating delicious foods, but I could do those things with other people as obsessed with old things as I am.
In the SCA I am most interested in the arts and sciences and play the recorder (badly). I specialize in historic garb research and patterning and to say I do embroidery in my free time is an understatement. Something about stabbing the needle through fabric gives me great joy. I don't know what it is. Stab stab stab!
In March of 2021 I became a student of Elizabet Marshall and we enjoy discussing stabbing, I mean stitching, all manner of things.
I am a member of the Black Boot Company,the newcomer household in Bhakail where I spread the knowledge of the SCA with newcomers to our society.
Scolastica is a lady from sometime in Western Medieval Europe (probably somewhere between 1200 and 1600). Her greatest joy in life is learning new things, researching very old things, and discussing these things with others. She loves to make things of all shapes and sizes. Her favorite thing to research is garb, and she has a fondness of hats, mainly because she has to hide from the sun. She often can be found embroidering in the shade, eating cubes of cheese wherever they can be found, and smiling and waving at her favorite combatants on the field. She is a lover of games, and if you ask nicely she will gladly play Nine Man's Morris, Chess, or her favorite: fox and geese. Like many a medieval lady she enjoys sport on occasion and will try her hand at archery (though she is quite terrible at it, she does her best to have fun and enjoy the sport). Scolastica is a lover of poetry and the songs of troubadours and does very much enjoy discussing the rules of courtly love. She has begun to play the recorder and enjoys recommendations for song and dance (though she has several left feet). After spending her life indoors among her books, Scolastica has recently found great joy in camping and being outside, though her constitution is often weak and causes her to seek shade and refreshment frequently. Scolastica appreciates gifts of water and sporting beverages such as aid of the alligator, as if they were cups of gold.
The year of the plague has been a difficult time for Scolastica, for while she has all the time in the world to devote to her favorite pursuits of research, garb making, embroidering and lace makings, she has found that with no end of the plague in sight, there is little motivation or energy to put forth toward these projects. However, she has recently devoted herself to small gifts and items of largess and invites all to join her on these little projects. Her particular interests in 2021 have revolved around stabbing fabric, which has brought her much joy through the winter months. She has begun a German Brick Stitch embroidery project and has made several hats.
Projects & Publications
Scolastica has a blog! The Inevitable Scadian
In 2021, Scolastica will be working on a year long embroidery project embroidering needle cases in different styles of embroidery. Follow along with her and her progress on her blog!
- 14th century Shift, Cotehardie and overdress 05/11/2019
- Pair of Bodies (still in progress), won award at Novice Day arts and sciences competition July 2019
- Landsknecht "Apple Pie" Wams, (entered into Iron Bog Baronial Arts and Science competition) 10/18/2019
- Betsy Rossenrock, a Lanskenect Waffenrock based on the original American Flag July 2020
- Opus Anglicanum embroidery (in progress)
- 2020 Modern Blackwork stitchalong (in progress)
- Blackwork Plague Project (In Progress)
- An Irish Leine
- Order of Courtesy Rose November 2020
- A set of Blue Tiger Handkerchiefs for the Virtual Shire Wars Largess Derby November 2020
- A giant Silly Hat for Yule 12/12/2020
- A little Sprang Bag December 2020
- Needle Case using Applique technique January 2021
- Yee Old Night Owl Hood, a medieval hood for the Foundations Revealed Costume Competition, February 2021
- Needle Case using Blackwork embroidery technique February 2021
- Little Goldwork Acorn February 2021
- Needle Case using German Brick Stitch February 2021
- Needle Case using Bayeux Stitch March 2021
- Reticulated Headdress April 2021
- Needle Case using Italian Cross Stitch April 2021
- Needle Case using Split Stitch and Goldwork May-August 2021
- Needle Case using Lacis Linen Stitch July 2021
Arts and Science Research and Papers
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Underdrawings for Embroidery May 2021
- Planning a German Brick Stitch Embroidery May 2021
- The 1410s Reticulated Headdress, the Wackiest Headdress of the 1400s May 2021
- Order of the Silver Brooch Awarded at Ethereal Court IX 5/16/2021
- Virtual Mudthaw Arts and Science Competition Winner 3/20/2021
- Order of the Harlequin awarded at Virtual Bhakail Yule on 12/12/2020
- Laurel's Choice Award awarded at Novice Day 7/24/2019.
Offices & Positions
Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Bhakail, October 2020 to Present
In Case of Court
Scolastica does not like surprises. A nudge to tell her to pay special attention during court is a welcome warning. Pronouns: She/her/hers. Her name is Latin and pronounced phonetically. Though she often misspells it.
Scloastica is unopposed to Ethereal Awards, especially if all of her friends can be there.