Royal Gifts and Largesse
What is Largesse?
Coins or other presents as tokens of appreciation and generosity. You might hear the term "Royal Gift Chest" to refer to items the Royals have available for gifting.
- Largesse as an SCA tradition: http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?title=Largesse
- Largesse in period: http://ynysfawr.lochac.sca.org/files/pdf/A-Brief-Note-On-Largesse.pdf
Who might receive Royal Gifts?
- newcomers attending a Royal Court
- people who do cool things, like having an entry in an Arts & Sciences competition that Their Majesties particularly enjoy
- hosts/hostesses when Royals stay the night at their home
- Territorial Barons/Baronnesses at Their Investitures
- Royals from other SCA Kingdoms who visit our Kingdom's events or meet with Their Majesties during an inter-kingdom event
- Royals from other SCA Kingdoms who have formed an alliance with Their Majesties for an SCA "war" event
- other people Their Majesties want to show gratitude to, such as guards and Champions
Who can donate largesse?
- Anyone. Artistic talent is not a requirement; sometimes you can purchase supplies to contribute to an ongoing project.
How can I donate largesse?
- First: Read Their Royal Majesties' (and Highnesses') preferences & needs for largesse during Their Reign. []
- Second: Attach a note to the item(s) you plan to donate to the Royal Gift Chest which states what it is (so Their Majesties understand it is intended as largesse for regifting, not as a gift for Their Majesties), and include your mundane name, SCA name, and mailing address.
- Then: Hand it to a retainer at an event where there are Royals, or ship it to the Royal Gifts Coordinator (or other designated staff) for the Reign.
"A retainer is like a butler and personal secretary all rolled up into one. They take notes and gather contact information regarding gifts that are presented for personal thank you letters. They remind the Monarchs about Their schedule. A retainer may have to fetch items or locate individuals with whom the monarchs would like to speak.” - https://aethelmearcgazette.com/2015/03/23/to-serve-the-crown-the-care-and-feeding-of-royalty/
What should I donate?
Please first read Their Royal Majesties' (and Highnesses') preferences & needs for largesse during Their Reign: []
- Bags and pouches
- Illuminated scroll blanks for re-gifting by other Kingdoms. The East is well-known for the quality of our scribal arts.
- Veil pins with glass heads
- Cup covers with weighted edges
- Stationary or note-cards with arms/sigils
- Bundles of feast gear for newcomers
- Home-made candles
- Medieval dress pins made from wire, tutorial at: <https://katafalk.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/making-your-own-medieval-dress-pins/>
- Penannular brooches, tutorial at: <http://www.instructables.com/id/CELTIC-BROOCH/>
- Needlebooks, machine sewing tutorial at: <http://www.crinkledreams.com/2015/04/how-to-make-a-needle-book/>
More largesse ideas:
Current Needs, Projects, and Preferences
Preferences of Their Royal Highnesses Ioannes and Honig: Their Royal Highnesses wish to display the talents of all artisans in Our Realm, not just a select few. Largesse donors may choose to reflect the Love & Levity theme of Their Reign, but that is not an expectation.
- Please, no home-made soaps, oils, or food gifts for this Reign.
Royal Gifts staff of Their Highnesses Ioannes and Honig
- Royal Gifts Co-coordinator:
Lady Dalla Olafskona (Suzy McBroom) <dalla.olafskona(at)gmail.com> (lives in Shire of the Northern Outpost, Northern Region)
- Royal Gifts Co-coordinator & Central Region collection point:
Baroness Cateline La Broderesse (Jennifer Guyton-Bohlen) PO Box 242; 192 Eugene St Port Ewen NY 12466 (lives in Shire of Nordenhalle, Central Region)
- Northern Region collection point & Research Assistant to the Royal Gifts Coordinators:
Lady Ariana of the North (Barbara Vezina) 2870 County Route 47 Norwood, NY 13668 (lives in Shire of the Northern Outpost, Northern Region)
- Southern Region collection point & Thank You Notes coordinator:
Lady Shoshana Gryffyth (Ellen Weiner) 129 Paladin Dr Wilmington, DE 19802 (lives in Shire of Caer Adamant, Southern Region)
- Tir Mara collection point:
Lady Cellach Dhonn inghean Mhic an Mhadaidh (Norah Grégoire) 2325 Boul. DeBlois Laval, QC H7E 1P8 Canada (lives in Barony de L'ile du Dragon Dormant, Crown Principality of Tir Mara)