Mergriet van Wijenhorst
Griet (me) with mini-Griet
|Award & Office Badges|
(Lady) Mergriet van Wijenhorst
- Played in the Barony of Ruantallan from the last half of the 1990's to 2001?
- The shire of Lyndhaven (in the area now known as Avonmore) from about 2002 to 2009 (with a short stint in An Tir)
- The Barony of Septentria (Ealdormere) from 2009-2010
- The Shire of Bordergate (An Tir) from 2010 to 2013
- Ruantallan, canton of Seashire, Fall of 2013 to Winter of 2015
- Shire of Lyndhaven, 2015
In the SCA I basically like to research stuff, experiment with edible stuff, make yummy stuff and make pretty stuff I also enjoy learning more about my persona and having a little fun with my in-game appearance and slowly improving my shop and kit. Am presently an active scribe, an occasional webminister and a willing cook... sometimes all of these collide!
- Student of Mistress Elena Rueda viuda de Lochcarron (mid. 2000's)
- Apprenticed to Mistress Elizabeth Darnley at Herne the Hunter, A.S.48
I only ever entered in 4 A&S competitions in the SCA, but have judged in more. Generally I enjoy display and practical application more but I enjoy entering now and then as a way to support the A&S community (more entries make for more interesting competitions) with the exception of Northern Lights which I did for the experience and was not disappointed as it was a lot of fun!
- Entered at Ruantallan's first novice A&S with illumination, did not win but it was fun!
- 1st in food category at Northern Lights so long ago I do not remember
- Shire of Bordergate A&S Champion 2011? (entered food, embroidery, painted glass, playing card project...)
- (Tir Mara) Princess's Champion for Arts and Sciences 2014 (food)
Mergriet is a native of Brabant who moved to Antwerp as a child. Her father was a skilled migrant worker who saw Antwerp as a place that would hold better fortunes. Mergriet (AKA Griet) has lived there ever since, though as tensions rise in the city, her husband is now looking at taking them either further north or over to England.
Her present place of residence is at the Eik en Zwijn
Offices & Positions
In the past I held onto long term positions of Webminister and Chronicler for Lyndhaven and was the Minister of Children for the Northern Shores region (now Tir Mara). In 2014 I stepped in as Webminister for the Barony of Ruantallan up until Jan. of 2015 when we moved to the Shire of Lyndhaven. EK Scribe, long supporter of the Ruantallan scriptorium, stepped in to help as Tir Mara scribal deputy, am a webminister at large (presently working on the Tir Mara website) and presently (May, 2015) the Chatelaine for the Shire of Lyndhaven.
While I tended to serve as a co-autocrat rather than being the main person in charge, I have run many dayboards and kitchens dating back to my early years in Lyndhaven. I very much love getting the opportunity to run a kitchen or even be permitted to come play in someone else's.
In 2007, Mergriet and Tali'a formed "The Amber River Sweet Shop" and merchanted together at the Lyndhaven Schola/NSR Warcamp. Since then, they moved on to merchant in Ruantallan as well as at the Great Northeastern War in Malagentia eventually leaving Tali'a to take over the shop with husband as Mergriet traveled across the country. Since then, a new shop "The Oak and Boar" (just look for the piggies and cold drinks!) has been forming alongside of the "Sweet Shop" on Mergriet's return while her past partner expands her part of the shop in An Tir.
Projects & Publications
- Food related SCA Projects
- Various Articles and Projects
- Middle English Recipe Blog
- My totally old blog, still kept because I still refer to it on occasion: Stumbling into Historic Cookery and the place where I kept on where the old one left off: oldfoodways