Difference between revisions of "Mergriet van Wijenhorst"
|Line 62:||Line 62:|
== Merchanting ==
== Merchanting ==
In 2007, and Tali'a formed "The Amber River Sweet Shop" and merchanted together at , eventually leaving Tali'a to take over the shop with husband as traveled across the country. Since then, "The Oak and Boar" (just look for the piggies and cold drinks!).
== Scribal Stuff ==
== Scribal Stuff ==
Revision as of 22:19, 1 May 2017
Griet (me) with mini-Griet
|Resides: Shire of Lyndhaven, Crown Principality of Tir Mara|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
|Award & Office Badges|
(Lady) Mergriet van Wijenhorst
- Played in the Barony of Ruantallan from the last half of the 1990's to 2001?
- The shire of Lyndhaven (in the area now known as Avonmore) from about 2002 to 2009 (with a short stint in An Tir)
- The Barony of Septentria (Ealdormere) from 2009-2010
- The Shire of Bordergate (An Tir) from 2010 to 2013
- Ruantallan, canton of Seashire, Fall of 2013 to Winter of 2015
- Shire of Lyndhaven, 2015
In the SCA I basically like to research stuff, experiment with edible stuff, make yummy stuff and make pretty stuff I also enjoy learning more about my persona and having a little fun with my in-game appearance and slowly improving my shop and kit. Am presently an active scribe, an occasional webminister and a willing cook... sometimes all of these collide!
- Student of Mistress Elena Rueda viuda de Lochcarron (mid. 2000's)
- Apprenticed to Mistress Elizabeth Darnley at Herne the Hunter, A.S.48
I only ever entered in 4 A&S competitions in the SCA, but have judged in more. Generally I enjoy display and practical application more but I enjoy entering now and then as a way to support the A&S community (more entries make for more interesting competitions) with the exception of Northern Lights which I did for the experience and was not disappointed as it was a lot of fun!
- Entered at Ruantallan's first novice A&S with illumination, did not win but it was fun!
- 1st in food category at Northern Lights so long ago I do not remember
- Shire of Bordergate A&S Champion 2011? (entered food, embroidery, painted glass, playing card project...)
- (Tir Mara) Princess's Champion for Arts and Sciences 2014 (food)
- Member of the order of the Laurel (2015) for what I can tell, my persona and food research which is so cool, I love those things :)
This February of 2017, I took my first apprentice, Symona de Verones at Yagaan's Banquet!
Less formerly, I also have Yagaan Chinua learning and practicing various arts under my tutelage
Mergriet is a native of Brabant who moved to Antwerp as a child. Her father was a skilled migrant worker who saw Antwerp as a place that would hold better fortunes. Mergriet (AKA Griet) has lived there ever since, though as tensions rise in the city, her husband is now looking at taking them either further north or over to England.
Her present place of residence is at the Eik en Zwijn
Offices & Positions
In the past I had full term positions of Webminister and Chronicler for Lyndhaven and was the Minister of Children for the Northern Shores region (now Tir Mara). In 2014 I stepped in as Webminister for the Barony of Ruantallan up until Jan. of 2015 when we moved to the Shire of Lyndhaven. EK Scribe, long supporter of the Ruantallan scriptorium, stepped in to help as Tir Mara scribal deputy, am a webminister at large (also worked on, and maintained, the Tir Mara website) and served temporarily as Chatelaine for Lyndhaven in 2015 until finding a replacement.
At 2016, am presently serving as the Seneschal for the shire of Lyndhaven as well as Tir Mara Deputy webminister, while continuing with occasional scribal work.
It is my plan to take a break from serving as an officer after my terms are up so I can take some more personal time, for at least a short period.
While I tended to serve as a co-autocrat rather than being the main person in charge, I have run many dayboards and kitchens dating back to my early years in Lyndhaven. I very much love getting the opportunity to run a kitchen or even be permitted to come play in someone else's.
First event I cooked for, on returning to the East Kingdom (fall of 2013), was in Feb. 2014 "Dinner at Finchcocks Court", this was a test run for creating high persona events in the area. For me it was an opportunity to arrange a meal as would have been known to an English person of higher standing in the 1590's, well, at least to best of our knowledge. A few things went awry, but we worked out a lot of quirks, great experience over all! Hope to see more of these pop up in the future!
After doing a few feasts here and there, I finally got to participate in yet another high persona feast, Yagaan's Banquet (Feb. 2017), this time it was cooking Mongolain food!
In 2007, myself and Tali'a formed "The Amber River Sweet Shop" and merchanted together at various events, eventually leaving Tali'a to take over the shop with husband as I traveled across the country. Since then, my husband and I have occasionally opened up the "The Oak and Boar" (just look for the piggies and cold drinks!).
This is something I've dabbled with for a while, at least since the 90's. Presently I do it because I can and it's fun and so love having these go out to so many people. Now and then, I even remember to take a photo... not as often as I should though... but, here are a few :)
- Some of my older, way older, stuff can be seen here: *old scrolls about 1990's-2008 (flickr)
- And some of my more recent stuff can be found here: *newer scrolls about 2010-now (flickr)
Projects & Publications
Too many to remember them all, though I do presently update various webpages/blogs. Some more SCA related ones are these:
- My historic food site main page with blog-roll of random things I like to talk about with side links to other things that interest me
- SCA related food projects From the same site as above but mainly SCA related
- Various Articles and Projects
- Middle English Recipe Blog
- My totally old blog, still kept because I still refer to it on occasion: Stumbling into Historic Cookery and the place where I kept on where the old one left off: oldfoodways