Mariette de Bretagne
Mariette de Bretagne
Quarterly azure and sable, a butterfly between five mullets one, two, and two argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Lady Mariette de Bretagne. I found the SCA when I stumbled into a fight practice on the quad at Rutgers many moons ago. I've been lurking about the Shire of Rusted Woodlands more or less ever since, even though I presently reside in the wilds of central Pennsylvania.
Mariette is a 14th century Frenchwoman, though she sometimes dresses up in the saris brought back from India for her by her merchant father.
Offices & Positions
- Exchequer, Shire of Rusted Woodlands: July 2011 to June 2014 (give or take)
- Southern Region Deputy Tyger Clerk of the Signet: April 2017-present
- Pennsic University volunteer, Pennsic War (2001, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2011-14)
- kitchen staff, 100 Minutes War (2001)
- Head troll, 100 Minutes War (2011-2013)
- Head troll, King's and Queen's Champion of Arms (May 2013)
- Head troll, EK Novice tourney (July 2014)
- troll staff, 100 Minutes War (2014-2017)
- event staff, EK Novice Day (July 2016 & 2017)
- A&S Coordinator, EK Novice Day (July 2018)
- Award of Arms - Andreas II and Isabella II
- Silver Brooch - Brennan II and Caoilfhionn II
- Silver Crescent - Ivan and Matilde
Projects & Publications
- Creation of Rusted Woodlands financial policy, Spring 2012
- Creation of East Kingdom Scribal Survey & Report, Spring-Summer 2017
- Ramirez Garb Workshop (creation of knighting garb for the elevation of Ryouko'jin of the Iron Skies), Spring-Summer 2017
- 2018 EK Scribal Calendar artist (Japanese page), Fall 2017 
- Kakemono: A Japanese Hanging Scroll with Original Poetry, A&S Competition entry, February 2018 
- Medieval French Verse, Pennsic University, Pennsic War 2013
- Scribal Wordsmithing, Summer's End Schola, September 2014
- Wordsmithing Basics, Eisental Scribal and Fiber Day, August 2017
- Ways with Words: Intermediate/Advanced Wordsmithing, Known World Arts & Sciences Symposium, March 2018
- You, too, can haiku: An Introduction to Japanese Syllabic Verse, Known World Arts & Sciences Symposium, March 2018
As a scribe, I aim to create award documents that the recipient's persona may have actually encountered in their period, tailoring wording specifically to them as much as possible. Because of this approach, I have done Viking rune tablets, Japanese kanji, and various European styles.
A selection of some of my scrolls can be found at http://mariettedebretagne.blogspot.com/