Mael Eoin mac Echuid
Mael Eoin mac Echuid
Gyronny argent and sable, a Maltese cross within an orle gules
|Award & Office Badges|
I am Righ-tuatha Mael Eoin mac Echuid, and I have the honor of being the current Baron of Bhakail alongside my wife, Baroness Ysmay de Lynn. While originally from the Canton of Whyt Whey in the Crown Province of Ostgardr, I am now residing in the Canton of Black Icorndall (the Canton of the Valley of the Black Squirrel) in the Barony of Bhakail (Greater Philadelphia area).
When initially looking to join the SCA, I intended to learn to brew and cook in a medieval manner and to learn the ins and outs of heraldry. Instead, I quickly found myself fighting heavy list, dancing and generally helping out wherever needed, often hanging out in kitchens at events or holding positions in local groups. I've come to realize that I prefer doing what I can to help others enjoy the SCA; their happiness is my happiness.
Along with some other local service-minded folk, I am a member of Dar Nafoura Hajjar. Additionally, along with Sayyid Jibril ibn 'Ammar al-Fayyad, we are cooks to be found at the sign of the Cross and Crescent...though, unlike many medieval alehouses, our sign may be found here and there rather than along a particular street. Sometimes our kitchen is small, though others often join us in preparing meals for travelers and feast guests alike.
Mael Eoin is a 12th Century Crusader originally from Ireland but to be found anywhere between there and the Outremer. He is a Knight Hospitaller, one of the military brothers of a Holy Order originally formed to protect and provide hospitality to pilgrims traveling to the Holy Land. As a landed Baron, he will most often not be seen on Crusade, and the Hospitaller garb has largely been closeted, leading him to wear a slightly more colorful wardrobe for the time being.
Offices & Positions
- Baron of Bhakail (6/13-)
- EK system administrator (11/09-)
- Webminister, Canton of Black Icorndall (4/09-)
- Seneschal, Canton of Black Icorndall (4/09-9/12)
- Deputy Seneschal, Barony of Bhakail (4/09-9/12)
- EK Standard Herald (10/09-6/14)
- Proofreading Deputy Chronicler, Barony of Bhakail (10/11-10/12)
- Webminister, Barony of Bhakail (-9/12)
- Salamander Pursuivant (11/09-11/10)
- Webminister, Canton of Whyt Whey (?-05/06)
- Deputy Knight Marshal, Canton of Whyt Whey (?-05/06)
- Deputy Seneschal, Canton of Whyt Whey (?-05/06)
- Exchequer, Canton of Whyt Whey (12/05-05/06)
- Companion of the Silver Crescent - TRM Gregor III and Kiena
- Award of Arms - TRM Brion II and Anna II
- Queen's Order of Courtesy - HRM Thyra Eiriksdottir
- King's Esteem of Merit - HRM Edward Gray of Lochleven
- King's Esteem of Merit - HRM Brennan mac Fearghus
- Company of the Pennon of the East - TRM Edward II and Thyra
- Companion of the Sea Dog - Crown Province of Ostgardr
- Companion of the Salamander - Barony of Bhakail
- Companion of the Horse - Barony of Bhakail
- Sea Star(s) - Crown Province of Ostgardr
- Flame(s) - Barony of Bhakail
- Golden Chime - Barony of Carillion
Projects & Publications
- EK web/mail server documentation and improvement
- EK server migration
- Our "Social": the non-activity as an activity - Pennsic 44
- Our "Social": the non-activity as an activity - Pennsic 43
- Our "Social": the non-activity as an activity - EK Service University class on the success of a weekly social, non-focused activity.
- Groups and websites: HTML, wikis, CMSes and more... - EK Service University class on popular choices when it comes to producing local group websites.
- Group websites and Social Media: why you need both - EK Service University class on why social media *and* traditional websites are a good idea...together.
- Event Steward, At the Sign of the Cross and Crescent (2016)
- Head cook, Into The Woods / Sprynge Thynge (2015)
- Head cook, Musician's Day (2014)
- Head dayboard cook, Spring Crown Tournament (2013)
- Kitchener for breakfasts, dayboard and feast, Musician's Day (2012)
- Kitchener for dayboard and feast, Shire Wars (2012)
- Head dayboard cook, River War (2012)
- Co-autocrat, EKU: A Day in the Guild Hall (2012)
- Kitchener for breakfasts, dayboard and feast, Musician's Day (2011)
- Head dayboard cook, Feast of John Barleycorn - Investiture of Viceory Guy avec Cheval and Vicereine Johanne i Visby (2011)
- Steward, House Runnymede dinner at Pennsic 40 (2011)
- Dayboard cook, Spring Crown Tournament (2011)
- Head feast cook, Court of Love - 14th C. French feast (2011)
- Head dayboard cook, Bhakail Yule (2009)