Mael Eoin mac Echuid
Mael Eoin mac Echuid
Gyronny argent and sable, a Maltese cross within an orle gules
|Award & Office Badges|
I am Máistir Mael Eoin mac Echuid, originally from the Canton of Whyt Whey in the Crown Province of Ostgardr, now residing in the Canton of Black Icorndall (the Canton of the Valley of the Black Squirrel mka Delaware County) in the Barony of Bhakail (Greater Philadelphia area).
When initially looking to join the SCA, I intended to learn to brew and cook in a medieval manner and to learn the ins and outs of heraldry. Instead, I quickly found myself fighting heavy list, dancing and generally helping out wherever needed, often hanging out in kitchens at events or holding positions in local groups. I've come to realize that I prefer doing what I can to help others enjoy the SCA; their happiness is my happiness.
I was a protege and apprentice of Viscount Alexandre Lerot, Baron of Avigne along with Lady Alessandra Bruccioli, and, until his elevation, Master Pascual del Mar. On February 13th, in the 50th year of the Society, I was recognized as a Companion of the Order of the Pelican. I had a lot to learn to get to this point and I already see much before me that I have yet to learn, whether as a Peer or otherwise.
Herr Matthias von Würzburg is active in the Kingdom Webministry and serves the Shire of Nordenfjord as their Webminister. He is also becoming active in the scribal community after resurrecting calligraphy skills to write our fealty oaths/contract.
Tiarna Alana O'Keeve is very active in the Thrown Weapons and Archery communities as a marshal and instructor, and is also a Herald at large. She has held many local offices and serves the Region officially, too.
Lady Chana Freidl the Maker is an outstanding Chatelaine and has been focused on improving the experiences of newcomers since becoming involved in the SCA, even when she was very new herself. She also serves those around her and abroad as a photographer at events and is very active in our Black Boot Company newcomer household. Her non-service fiber-related skills are very noteworthy and I am looking forward to encouraging more along those lines while also learning the same, as time for us both allows.
Lady Cailleach Dhé ingen Chiaráin is an up and coming officer, very active in the Shire of Nordenfjord. She is interested in group management and growth and I believe she will excel in those endeavors.
For all whom I support, encourage and advocate for: if there is praise to be given, give it first to them and consider letting me know as well. If there is criticism to be given, please give it to me that I may help give feedback to them.
Households and associations
The Company of the Black Boot is a fledgling household for newcomers, started when we realized there were members in the area who had been around a while but still confused by some of the SCA's terminology, award and group structures, among other things. We modeled the household on one I saw in the Kingdom of Atenveldt - invite newcomers in, help them out for a year or two, then have them leave the household. Since discussing the idea, a number of people have stepped up to help out and we can't wait to do what we can for people new to the SCA.
Along with some other local service-minded folk, I am a member of Dar Nafoura Hajjar. Additionally, along with Sayyid Jibril ibn 'Ammar al-Fayyad and others, we are cooks to be found at the sign of the Cross and Crescent...though, unlike many medieval alehouses, our sign may be found here and there rather than along a particular street. Sometimes our kitchen is small, though others often join us in preparing meals for travelers and feast guests alike.
Mael Eoin is a 12th Century Crusader originally from Ireland but to be found anywhere between there and the Outremer. He is a Knight Hospitaller, one of the military brothers of a Holy Order originally formed to protect and provide hospitality to pilgrims traveling to the Holy Land. As a landed Baron, he will most often not be seen on Crusade, and the Hospitaller garb has largely been closeted, leading him to wear a slightly more colorful wardrobe for the time being.
Offices & Positions
- East Kingdom Brewers Guild Southern Region Warden
- East Kingdom Webminister (9/17-10/19)
- Deputy Chronicler, Barony of Bhakail (06/17-06/19)
- Webminister, Canton of Black Icorndall (4/09-4/18)
- Chronicler, Canton of Black Icorndall
- Interim East Kingdom Webminister (8/17-9/17)
- EK system administrator (11/09-8/17)
- Baron of Bhakail (6/13-6/17)
- Seneschal, Canton of Black Icorndall (4/09-9/12)
- Deputy Seneschal, Barony of Bhakail (4/09-9/12)
- EK Standard Herald (10/09-6/14)
- Proofreading Deputy Chronicler, Barony of Bhakail (10/11-10/12)
- Webminister, Barony of Bhakail (-9/12)
- Salamander Pursuivant (11/09-11/10)
- Webminister, Canton of Whyt Whey (?-05/06)
- Deputy Knight Marshal, Canton of Whyt Whey (?-05/06)
- Deputy Seneschal, Canton of Whyt Whey (?-05/06)
- Exchequer, Canton of Whyt Whey (12/05-05/06)
- Companion of the Order of the Pelican - TRM Brennan II and Caoilfhionn II (Kingdom of the East)
- Court Barony - TRM Ioannes and Honig (Kingdom of the East)
- Companion of the Order of the Silver Crescent - TRM Gregor III and Kiena (Kingdom of the East)
- Award of Arms - TRM Brion II and Anna II (Kingdom of the East)
- Queen's Order of Courtesy - HRM Thyra Eiriksdottir (Kingdom of the East)
- Company of the Pennon of the East (Estrella War) - TRM Edward II and Thyra (Kingdom of the East)
- Company of the Pennon of the East (Estrella War) - TRM Edward III and Thyra II (Kingdom of the East)
- Company of the Pennon of the East (Estrella War) - TRM Ozurr and Fortune (Kingdom of the East)
- Premier Companion of the Order of the Couriers of Radiance - TRM Marek and Golda (Kingdom of Atenveldt)
- Star of the Desert (Gules) - TRM Áilgheanán and Amber (Kingdom of Atenveldt)
- King's Esteem of Merit - HRM Edward Grey of Lochleven (Kingdom of the East)
- King's Esteem of Merit - HRM Brennan mac Fearghus (Kingdom of the East)
- Companion of the Salamander - Their Excellencies Darmon and Sabine (Barony of Bhakail)
- Companion of the Sea Dog - Their Excellencies Alexandre and Eularia (Crown Province of Ostgardr)
- Companion of the Horse - Their Excellencies Darmon and Sabine (Barony of Bhakail)
- Sea Stars - Crown Province of Ostgardr
- Flames - Barony of Bhakail
- Golden Chime - Barony of Carillion
Projects & Publications
- EK web/mail server documentation and improvement
- EK server migration
- Territorial Barons and Baronesses, A Roundtable - Pennsic 46
- Territorial Barons and Baronesses, A Roundtable - Pennsic 45
- Our "Social": the non-activity as an activity - Pennsic 45
- Our "Social": the non-activity as an activity - Pennsic 44
- Our "Social": the non-activity as an activity - Pennsic 43
- Our "Social": the non-activity as an activity - EK Service University class on the success of a weekly social, non-focused activity.
- Groups and websites: HTML, wikis, CMSes and more... - EK Service University class on popular choices when it comes to producing local group websites.
- Group websites and Social Media: why you need both - EK Service University class on why social media *and* traditional websites are a good idea...together.
- Head cook, At the Sign of the Knot and the Lion (2020)
- Dayboard cook, River War (2019)
- Event Steward, Bhakail Champions and Commons (2017)
- Kitchener, Artisan's Village (2017)
- Kitchen Steward and dayboard cook, Artisan's Village (2016)
- Event Steward, At the Sign of the Cross and Crescent (2016)
- Head cook, Into The Woods / Sprynge Thynge (2015)
- Head cook, Musician's Day (2014)
- Head dayboard cook, Spring Crown Tournament (2013)
- Kitchener for breakfasts, dayboard and feast, Musician's Day (2012)
- Kitchener for dayboard and feast, Shire Wars (2012)
- Head dayboard cook, River War (2012)
- Co-autocrat, EKU: A Day in the Guild Hall (2012)
- Kitchener for breakfasts, dayboard and feast, Musician's Day (2011)
- Head dayboard cook, Feast of John Barleycorn - Investiture of Viceory Guy avec Cheval and Vicereine Johanne i Visby (2011)
- Steward, House Runnymede dinner at Pennsic 40 (2011)
- Dayboard cook, Spring Crown Tournament (2011)
- Head feast cook, Court of Love - 14th C. French feast (2011)
- Head dayboard cook, Bhakail Yule (2009)