Lillia de Vaux
Photo by Ron Lutz, Jr. (used with permission)
|Resides: Shire of Hartshorn-dale|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Argent semy of crampets, a bend azure.
|Award & Office Badges|
Dame Lillia de Vaux (sometimes known as Ermine de Vaux) is a dabbler in many activities: heraldry, embroidery and the fiber arts, botanical history, brewing, target archery, and rapier combat. At the moment, she is trying to learn how to spin and knit. She resides in the Shire of Hartshorn-dale.
She was a cadet to Baron Ian Raven of Tadcaster until her elevation to the Order of the Pelican, and is a member of the Tadcaster Militia. She was a Provost in the now-defunct East Kingdom League of Rapier Academies.
She has been a local chatelaine and held various heraldic offices. She served as Pellycan Quene of Armes, the College of Arms education deputy responsible for name registration decisions at the Society level, from January 2014 to October 2016. At the moment, she is enjoying her retirement, having been granted the title of Crampette Herault by Laurel King of Arms. However, she is still an active commenter for the College of Arms and on staff for her successor.
Lillia is a member of the Sisterhood of St. Walburga and joined the Academy of Saint Gabriel just prior to its permanent hiatus. She is also a household member of Dar Nafoura Hajjar (House of the Stone Fountain) and Gryphonhaven (based in the Middle Kingdom). At Pennsic, she lives in the camp of Eldenwood, part of the House of Black Dog.
Lillia de Vaux is the daughter of a mason employed at the cathedral in Beauvais, Picardie. She and her family survived the town’s 1346 siege by the English, but nothing more is known of her after she entered the Sisterhood of Saint Walburga a few years later. She is somewhat literate and a student of both the gentle and martial arts. (Don’t tell her father about that last part!)
Offices & Positions
- Chatelaine, Shire of Hartshorn-dale, 08/2002 to 10/2005
- At-large rapier marshal (from 07/2006) and herald (from 2006)
- Attire Pursuivant, Shire of Hartshorn-dale, 11/2006 to 11/2010
- Rapier Marshal, Shire of Hartshorn-dale, 01/2008-11/2009 and 01/2012 to 09/2014
- Eastern Crown Herald (then-internal submissions herald), East Kingdom, 12/2009 to 04/2012
- Diademe Herald (assistant to then-Eastern Crown Herald), East Kingdom, 04/2012 to 12/2013
- Pelican Sovereign of Arms, SCA (deputy to Laurel Sovereign of Arms), 01/2014 to 11/2016
- Crampette Herault (Herald Extraordinary)
- Overall demo coordinator for the "Castles and Monsters" library reading program demos in Hartshorn-dale (summer 2005)
- Event Steward, Autumn Schola (11/2002)
- Registration Clerk/Gate Clerk for Alles Faire (multiple years)
- Merchant Coordinator for East Kingdom Twelfth Night (01/2003)
- Heraldic Consultation Table Coordinator for Nova Schola (2007-2010) and Noisemakers Schola (2008?-2013)
- Deputy of Heralds Point (Pennsic 2011 and 2012)
Projects, Classes, & Publications
- Welcome to the Current Middle Ages (demo handout, 2002-2003)
- Waterbearing at Pennsic (class, Waterbearers Point, Pennsic, 2002?)
- Effective Demos (class, Nova Schola, 2007 and EKU: Fighter's Collegium, 2008)
- Intro to Rapier Combat/Rapier Roundtable Discussion (class, Nova Schola, 2007)
- MiT Training: Weapon and Armor Inspections (class, KWAR, 2009)
- Heraldry: Common Reasons for Return (class, Nova Schola, 2010)
- There and Back Again: A Submission's Tale (class, Noisemaker's Schola, KWHSS and Pennsic, 2011)
- A Preliminary Survey of Names from the Historical Dictionary of Personal Names in Białystok (article, KWHSS Proceedings, 2011)
- Eastern Crown Roadshow (class, Noisemakers Schola, 2012)
- Introduction to the Standards of Evaluation (class, Pennsic, 2012)
- Intermediate Heraldic Research (class, River Wars, 2012; Noisemakers Schola, 2013-2015 (?); Pennsic 2013-2016; KWHSS 2014; East Kingdom Southern Region Heralds & Scribal Symposium 2014; Aethelmearc Heralds & Scribal Collegium 2014)
- Administrative Heraldry (class, Pennsic 2015-2016)
Links to some of the above class handouts and publications: