photo courtesy of Marek Casimir
Or, a coney and fox combatant gules within an orle gules
|Award & Office Badges|
Lord Gwillim Kynith has been in the SCA since (2001) AS XXXVI. He lives in the Barony of Endewearde, where he has acted as the group's Chronicler, Seneschal, and Minister of Arts and Sciences.
Gwillim Kynith is a 14th century Welshman raised in Caldicot, Monmouthshire, Wales. Having lost both parents to the plague, he was raised by the family of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Earl of Essex, and High Lord Constable of England. He became well versed in music, dancing, and other Courtly ways within the halls of grand Caldicot Castle.
Gwillim spent many years within the walls of Caldicot, even apprenticing to a master of stained glass there. Still, he loved nothing more than working with the hunters and foresters as they traveled afar, spending weeks at a time in the fields and forests surrounding the town. Showing exceptional prowess with the bow and a keen ability at stalking game, he was dubbed “Kynith” (“Huntsman”) at a young age. As he grew older, Gwillim earned an official position as one of Humphrey’s foresters, enforcing the laws of the Crown in the Royal forests of Caldicot and much on Monmouthshire.
Upon Humphrey’s death in 1372, Humphrey’s son-in-law Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester and Edward III’s youngest son, took possession of Caldicot Castle and Manor and, with it, the title of England’s High Lord Constable. Gwillim remained in Thomas’ service for another 12 years.
Today, Gwillim lives in the great Barony of Endewearde, geographic center of the East Kingdom. He has made a name for himself there as the North Tower Archery Company Captain and as a bard, the latter earning him a place in the Order of the Troubadour. Through his interest in dancing and a willingness to share that interest, he became Endewearde's Dancemaster and found himself named a Companion of the Order of Terpsichore. As a result of his participation and leadership, Gwillim was made the Seneschal of Endewearde, an office which he held for almost five years. Later, Gwillim served for three years as Endewearde's Minister of Arts and Sciences. After stepping down from that position, Gwillim became involved in the East Kingdom Foresters' Guild. Today, he holds the guild rank of Master Forester, and is currently the Keeper of the Royal Court of the Endewearde Forest.
In recognition of his Service to Endewearde and the East Kingdom, Gwillim was inducted into the Order of the Silver Crescent by TRM Edward and Marguerite. For his skills in diverse arts such as music, stained glass, dancing, and brewing, TRM Gryffith and Aikaterine made him a Companion of the Order of the Maunche. For Service to TRM Kenric and Avelina as medu ar (mead herald), Gwillim was given the Queens Honor of Distinction.
Offices & Positions
- Chronicler, Shire of Endewearde 2001 - 2004
- Dancemaster, Shire of Endewearde 2004 - present
- Deputy Seneschal, Shire of Endewearde 2004 - 2006
- Seneschal, Shire of Endewearde 2006 - 2010
- Captain, North Tower Archery Company 2011 - 2012
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, Barony of Endewearde 2013 - 2015
- Ryder of the Northern Marches, 2004
- AoA, 2005
- Order of the Troubadour, 2007
- Order of Terpsichore, 2007
- Order of the Silver Crescent, 2010
- Order of the Maunche, 2011
- Queen's Honor of Distinction, 2012
- Autocrat, Jehan's Fencing at the Fort, April AS 2005
- Autocrat, Jehan's Fencing and Fighting at the Fort, April 2007
- Autocrat, Bare Blade Tavern Brawl, November 2006
- Autocrat, Bare Blade Tavern Brawl, November 2008
- Dayboard Steward, Bare Blade Tavern Brawl, November 2009
- Autocrat, Endewearde Hunt, October 2011
- Bardic Arts - Composer; Singer; Guitar; Lute; Recorder; Bodhran (visit Gwillim's music pages at Kynith.com)
- Dancing - English Country, Bransles, Italian - Dancemaster Endewearde
- Stained Glass (visit Gwillim's Stained Glass pages at Kynith.com)
- Brewing - Mead, Beer, Cordial (visit Gwillim's Brewing pages at Kynith.com)
- Forester - East Kingdom Foresters Guild - Court of Endewearde Forests
- Archery - Bowman
- Scribal Arts