Gwenhwyfar Dinas Emrys
Mistress Gwenhwyfar Dinas Emrys
Per chevron azure and sable, a chevron ermine and in base a cross fleury, a bordure argent.
Or, a stag statant proper, on a chief vert three acorns slipped and leaved Or.
|Award & Office Badges|
Gwenhwyfar Dinas Emrys has been a member of the SCA since 1989. She is a member of the Canton if Seashire, in the Barony of Ruantallan, which is a Barony in the Crown Principality of Tir Mara. Gwenhwyfar is an active member in the crown principality, having held the regional MOAS position, the Chronicler for the region and currently the Deputy Seneschal for the region. She was also both a Canton and Baronial Seneschal, an active member of the dabblers guild and the cooks guild. Gwenhwyfar is a member of the Order of the Maunche, the Order of the Silver Crescent, and the Order of the Pelican.
Gwenhwyfar is the daughter of Siobahn of Cymtwdu and Cair Dinas Emrys. Dinas Emrys translates to Ambrosius Fort, a place in a mountainous area of Wales. Cair, Gwen's father, was a sheep farmer who traded the wool to the merchants in Flanders. He died when she was only two years old. Her mother Siobahn was a midwife who died when she was 10 years old, and thus she was taken in by her aunt and her Englishman husband, Edward Maskery. The couple had no children of their own, and made their living as merchants who traded the fabric made from the wool of Flanders. It is from them that Gwenhwyfar learned business, finances and trade.
Gwenhwyfar was married at 14 to Richard of Houndsrun, a man 36 years her senior, who died 6 months later of gout. He had no surviving family and thus Gwenhwyfar was left with all his estates, which her uncle Edward kept in trust. Richard Houndsrun was a merchant who ran a large tavern/inn where weary travelers, including knights, crusaders and pilgrims, found a safe place to stay. His family fortune came from the merchant class as well, as Richard owned several ships that traded wool and spices as well as a small fleet of fishing vessels which supplied many a market with fresh fish.
Lord Edward died just as Gwenhwyfar was turning 19 and his wife, Gwenhwyfar's aunt, was confined to her bed due to old age and senility. When she died Gwen inherited all they had in addition to what they were holding in trust from her husband. Now the owner and operator of two inns, which cater to sailors, crusaders, courtisans and the like, Gwenhwyfar also owned the fleet of ships from her husband and traded regularly with the Italians and the far east. Her taverns served fresh fish from her fishing galleys, and she used the wool and wool products from her father and uncles' estates to continue trading. In addition, she is a generous sponsor of patrons of the arts.
After many successful years of running her businesses, Gwenhwyfar was eager for change, and a well deserved break. She decided to leave the cold and drafty strongholds of England for the warm sun of Southern Italy. She continues to welcome visitors, run events, and promote locale artisans, and encourages everyone to come and visit her in her new home.
Offices & Positions
- Barony of Ruantallan Herald - 2011 - 2013
- Crown Principality of Tir Mara Seneschal - 2009 - 2013
- Barony of Ruantallan Seneschal - 2003 - 2005
- Canton of Seashire Seneschal 1996???
- President and Co-founder of the Tir Mara Royal Travel Fund
- Saturnalia at Vindolanda, Ruantallan 2019 - Head Cook
- Herne the Hunter, 2018
- Dinner at the Kasbah, 2015 - Autocrat
- Sigtuna, 2014 - Head Cook
- Runnymeade Feast, Pennsic XLII - Head Cook
- Epulio of Gaius Julius Marinus, 2014 - Head Cook
- Herne the Hunter 2011, 2008 - Autocrat
- Herne the Hunter 2012, 2010, 2009 - Head Cook
- Spring Crown Tourney 2012 - Autocrat
- Tir Mara Rattan and A&S Champions, 2011 - Head Cook
- Herne the Hunter, 2011 - Autocrat
- Spring Crown Tourney (Barony L'ile Dragon Dormant) 2010 - Cook
- Northern Shores Rattan and A&S Championship, 2008 - Head Cook
- Seashire 26th anniversary, 2008 - Head Cook
- Fall Harvest, 2005 - Head Cook
- Spring Crown Tourney, Ruantallan 2004 - Autocrat
- Herne Le Chasseur (Shire of Le Dragonnet)
- Created Herne the Hunter event - based on wild meat feast, 2002