Gianetta Lucia Allegretta
Baronessa Gianetta Lucia Allegretta
Gianetta Lucia Alegretta
|Award & Office Badges|
I am a citizen of the East Kingdom, residing in the Barony of An Dubhaigeainn. I have participated in the S.C.A. since 1985, living previously within the Cantons of Lions End and Whyt Whey (Crown Province of Ostgardr). I was a founding member of Lions End, at one point serving as its Chronicler for Thereby Hangs a Tale, and was briefly involved in the initial founding of Whyte Whey, before finally settling into my current home Barony.
I served the Barony of An Dubhaigeainn in many ways before stepping in to the role of its Coronet alongside my husband, Jean Xavier. Together, we served our Barony in this capacity from January 2002 to November 2007, stepping down to a thriving Barony and leaving the Seat to very capable Heirs. Our tenure saw a renewed spirit of cooperation amongst the Barony's populace, the creation of new Baronial awards and traditions, and, most importantly, growth.
I have also served my Barony and my Kingdom as An Dubhaigeainn’s Chatelaine (twice) and, for a time, as its Baronial Thrown Weapons Marshal. As I strongly feel all folks are Chatelaines, I continue to serve my Barony as an “unofficial” Chatelaine in welcoming newcomers into the Society and in mentoring others in how they themselves can welcome newcomers. I also serve as a thrown weapons marshal-at-large. When I am not doing these things, I can often be found bussing tables (and making sure folks have water at their tables) at various feasts near and far and stepping in where and when I see something that needs to be done. (You may even have seen me at some of the longer, larger Courts making sure folks were watered when the room was a bit on the warm side.)
I have served as a Lady-in-Waiting to Duchess Isabella during both her Reigns and stood a guard duty at the East Kingdom's Royal encampment for a few Pennsics. With my love of sewing and embroidery, I created Queen Isabella II’s German-style Twelfth Night garb and Queen Genevieve II’s Landsknecht Pennsic Court garb, both times designing the outfits and spearheading a team of Ladies to create ensembles worthy of the Queens who wore them; other times, I have assisted other seamstresses in their own garb or favor projects. During some of this time, I was apprenticed to Mistress Suzanne Neuber de Londres before finding my steps taking me down another path.
My other passion, embroidery, led me to work on many projects for myself and for others. My super-secret joy: secretly creating embroidered regalia for a small handful of dear folks who I knew were being Elevated. My work can be found on the regalia of such folks as Baron Master Ateno of Annun Ridge (his cloak), Baroness Mistress Suzanne Neuber de Londres (her grand Venetian dress), and, last – but most definitely not least – my husband, Baron Master Jean Xavier Boullier for both of his Elevations (his cloaks). The large embroidered central medallion on Jean Xavier’s Master of Defense cloak is my work; the amazing embroidered and beaded medallions edging his cloak are the work of a number of other very talented ladies. Each project I undertook was a labor of love that provided me with unique challenges in their individual execution.
During my time in the Society I have also taught many classes, formally and informally, both in the arts and on culture (SCA and historical). Many of these classes were developed because I saw a need and/or interest for such a class to be taught. Some of these classes were taught at workshops, demos, and local events; others taught at Pennsic and other out-of-area events. Our Baronial newsletter, Viaduct, has featured articles written by me based on my classes and other topics.
Among the classes I’ve taught, at both local and other out-of-area events and demos:
- German Hat Making Class
- Retaining the Unretainable
- Documentation for the Faint of Heart
- Pick Your Poison – Cosmetics in Period
- Poisoned Gloves and Pomanders
- Sumptuary Laws of the Renaissance
- Basic Embroidery Stitches
- Personas 101
- Pennsic 101
- Sewing a Viking Apron Dress
- Growing Your Newcomers
- "Fred Jones Deserves This Ward" - How to write an effective SCA Award recommendation letter
- “Tracks” or Levels of Various SCA Awards – Being a Simple Guideline of the East Kingdom’s Award Levels
- Household Affiliations (current): Von Morgenwind
- Baronial Affiliations (current): An Dubhaigheainn
- Spouse: Baron Master Jean Xavier Boullier
Offices & Positions
- Chronicler/Asst Chronicler - Thereby Hangs a Tale, Lions End newsletter (~1987 through 1989)
- Chatelaine - Barony of An Dubhaigeainn (2001; then again Jan. 2010 for about 1-1 1/2 years)
- Territorial Baroness - Barony of An Dubhaigeainn (January 2002 through November 2007)
- Thrown Weapons Marshal (2008 to present)
Baronial Thrown Weapons Marshal (2012-2013)
- Autocrat - Lions in Winter (December 1989?)
- Autocrat - St Andrew Goes Beyond the Veil (November 2016)
- 01/21/1989 Award of Arms
- Silver Feather (An Dubhaigeainn)
- 01/13/2001 Companion of the Manuche
- 01/26/2002 Baroness of An Dubhaigeainn
- 02/22/2003 Queen's Honor of Distinction (Isabella II)
- 09/09/2006 Companion of the Silver Crescent
- 11/10/2007 Court Baroness
- 11/10/2007 Silvanus Doke (An Dubhaigeainn)
- 09/28/2019 Companion of the Pelican
See above. Note: Also, a number of smaller-scale projects (ongoing, of course ;)...