Finnguala ingen Néill meic Chuircc
image courtesy of Brenden Crane
Per fess sable and vert, a swan naiant and in chief three lozenges argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Lady Finnguala ingen Néill meic Chuircc
Pronounced: "fin-nooh-lah in-yen nee-all meck cork"
Finnguala joined the SCA in 2001 in the Barony of Windmaster's Hill in Atlantia. She moved to East Kingdom in 2009 and has played with the Barony of Concordia of the Snows since. While generally doing things that need doing and making things that need making, she has worked setup and cleanup, helped create props and tokens, planned and cooked dayboard, assisted in kitchens, co-event stewarded, run areas and events for newcomers and families, and most recently held the office of Baronial Seneschal for Concordia (2015-2017).
In the non-medieval times, Nuri Olsen is a forester and lawyer who works in disaster recovery (that's what comes after the immediate life-saving and -sustaining "response" phase). She is interested in natural resource management and practical policy development and enforcement as well as fostering proactive communication to promote understanding of others and consensus in goals.
She is also a fan of such fine and discerning entertainment as whimsical musical theatre, anime and manga, science fiction (spaceship wars!) and epic fantasy, fan music and filk (when musically appealing of course), board games that involve complex systems and crushing your opponents, children and animals being unintentionally hilarious, and telling her husband he is driving too fast.
Finnguala was born in the early 9th Century in Ireland as part of the Ciannachta, who hold territory near the Linn Duachaill sea-raider settlement. As she grew up, the tribe's relationship with the raiders improved significantly, and now there is a mostly-civil peace and some trade between them. The raiders often have useful items or rare materials to offer such as metal fasteners and silk cloth, so her people tolerate them as long as they cause no personal offense. There are even stories of the raiders joining arms with a neighboring tribe to topple a corrupt and oppressive Abbott, though Finnguala has her own doubts about the accuracy of that particular tale. She herself is a devout Christian in the Irish way, since one ignores the wisdom of their elders at their own peril; certainly God sends many creatures and wonders to test or assist his children, and Finnguala is wary of anything that appears out of the ordinary.
Offices & Positions
- Seneschal, Barony of Concordia, 9/2/2015 to 9/6/2017
- Deputy Seneschal, Barony of Concordia, 9/6/2017 to 4/4/2018
- Youth Officer, at large, 5/12/2015 to current
- Companion of the Opal (Atlantia; AoA service) - Janos and Rachel, Coronation, September 2004
- Companion of the St. Nicholas (Windmaster's Hill; service by/to youth) - Rodrigo Falcone, Tourney of Ymir, February 2005
- Order of the Friends (Concordia; welcome) - Pierre de Tours, War of the Roses, May 2012
- Order of the Burdened Tyger - Omega V & Etheldreda IV, Northern Region War Camp, July 2015
- Order of the Pine (Concordia; service) - Jean Paul and Lylie, Bjorn's Ceilidh, September 2015
- Award of the Golden Lyre - Ivan and Matilde, Saint Eligius, November 2017
- Order of the Silver Crescent - Ivan and Matilde, At the sign of the Dancing Fox XX, February 2018
- Order of the Silver Brooch - Brennan III and Caoilfhionn III, Coronation, April 2018
- Family Participation Coordinator, Wars of the Roses 5/2017
- Dayboard Cook, Coronation of Brennan II and Caoilfhionn II, 10/2015
- Co-Event Steward, Wars of the Roses, 5/2015
- Gate Steward, Winter Nights, 10/2013
Projects & Publications
- Researching garden- and agriculture-related greenwood/woven wood structures (2016-current)
- Working on policies around Harassment and implementation of system for dealing with it on branch and Kingdom levels (2017-current)
In Case of Court / Document Preferences
- Surprise is preferred; it prevents anxious compulsion cycles. (Please no writs.)
- Please notify my Peer, Master Estgar æt Hrofecaestre (Angus Pembridge)
- I'm pretty sure my husband Magnús hvalmagi would like to know.
- Photographers have permission/consent to post photos of me from any Event space including court (I know it's not legally required, but I also know lots of y'all tend to extend the courtesy)
For Documents ("scrolls"):
- I prefer smaller sizes (8.5x11 or under) since wall space is getting harder to find at home.
- Persona-appropriate is great, but not super important.
- The thing that would mean the most to me is the assignment going to someone(s) who I mean something to, if possible. These documents are the physical representation of the impact we've had on each other, and that's the part that I feel when I see it on my wall.
- If you are a scribal nerd and want to add something quirky or fun because of a period thing you love or a whimsical reference, yes!
- Mistakes are opportunities for the above. Please don't burn it with fire! (Unless that's the effect you're going for, I guess?)
- Need inspiration? Some categories of source material that would fit me well include: herbals, agricultural manuals, calendars of monthly occupations, ... anything else botanical or agricultural. Weird/funny faces. Acrobatic monkeys. Things with ridiculous proportions. (Most of this boils down to gardens and whimsy.)