1480s Florentine Persona
Azure, a chevron throughout between three needles bendwise sinister argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Elena Hylton is a seamstress and general fiber arts aficionado. She adores fashion history, all sorts of embroidery, and card weaving (many of her hobbies are documented on her website Elena's Threads ). While in theory her persona is late 14th/early 15th century, she sometimes meanders around a bit when she gets excited by a new type of gown or embroidery. She is mostly English (though also sometimes Italian and occasionally French), and usually bounces around between 1200-1550.
Elena Hylton lives in 15th century northern England. She has not yet married, but instead stays on at her family home. She is an avid embroiderer and sews many of her household's linens.
Offices & Positions
- A&S Display Coordinator for East Kingdom 50 Year Celebration.
- Organizer of the Canton of the Towers Fiber Arts Enthusiasts, 2015-present.
- Organizer of the East Kingdom Rapier Cooling Brigade, 2016-present.
- Member of Arachne's Web Lace Guild, rank of Lacemaker.
- Senior Member In Training of the Keepers of Athena's Thimble. Granted rank of Artisan at Pennsic, 2014. Competency achieved in all 12 categories, period competency in monochrome embroidery.
- Silver Wheel - Ivan and Matilde
- King's Award of Esteem - Kenric III and Avelina III
- Order of the Maunche - Brennan II and Caoilfhionn II
- Queen's Award of Esteem - Omega V and Etheldreda IV
- Award of Arms - Brennan and Caoilfhionn
- How to Research Like an Academic: Moving Towards a Major A&S Project
- Tubular Tablet Weaving: How to Make a Period Cord
- Becoming a Ghirlandaio Girl: Introduction to 1480's Florentine Women's Dress
- An Introduction to Smocking - Honeycombed Smocked Apron
- Introduction to Tablet Weaving
- How to Card-Weave Letters, Numbers or Designs (Double-faced Weaving)
Papers & Articles
- Lacing Styles 1450s-1550s A paper analyzing the frequency of different styles of lacing seen on women's front-laced gowns in Western European paintings 1450s-1550s.
- Finding Sources A short article detailing several ways to find useful sources for a research project.
- Creating Documentation for the General East Kingdom A&S Rubric A guide to using the EK A&S rubric, co-written with Lissa Underhill.
- St. Eligius A&S Competition, 2017 - winner in the research paper category.
- King and Queen's Arts & Sciences Championships, 2016 - finals. A 1480's Florentine Woman's Ensemble
- St. Eligius A&S Competition, 2015 - winner in the experienced competitor category. 15th Century Pleated Camicia
- 5th Annual Realm of Venus Italian Renaissance Costume Challenge, 2015 - first place, plus Best Historically Accurate Construction and Best Novice in Italian Renaissance Costuming.
- Lady of the Rose Tourney A&S Display, 2014 - winner of the populace vote. 16th Century Blackworked Cuffs
In Case of Court
Please contact Doroga Voronin
Elena is a fiber arts/research junky. She is a dabbler in lots of styles of embroidery and lace. Fashion history is a bit of an obsession of hers, with a special focus on the 13th-16th centuries. She also enjoys tablet weaving with various techniques, as well as spinning, making cord, and dyeing. In mundane life she is an academic with a background in medieval and renaissance culture.