Watching the rapier battles at Pennsic.
Azure, a chevron throughout between three needles bendwise sinister argent.
|Award & Office Badges|
Elena Hylton is a seamstress and general fiber arts aficionado. She adores fashion history, all sorts of embroidery, and card weaving, but also dabbles with viking wire weaving, making alcohol, kumihimo, and singing (many of her hobbies are documented on her website Elena's Threads ). While in theory her persona is late 14th/early 15th century, she sometimes meanders around a bit when she gets excited by a new type of gown or embroidery. She is mostly English (though also sometimes early Italian renaissance), and usually bounces around between 1200-1550.
Elena Hylton lives in 15th century northern England. She has not yet married, but instead stays on at her family home. She is an avid embroiderer and sews many of her household's linens.
Offices & Positions
- Member of the Keepers of Athena's Thimble since 2012. Granted rank of Artisan at Pennsic, 2014. Competency achieved in all 12 categories, period competency in monochrome embroidery.
- Member of Arachne's Web Lace Guild.
- Organizer of the Canton of the Towers Fiber Arts Enthusiasts, 2015-present.
- King's Award of Esteem - Kenric III and Avelina III
- Order of the Maunche - Brennan II and Caoilfhionn II
- Queen's Award of Esteem - Omega V and Etheldreda IV
- Award of Arms - Brennan and Caoilfhionn
- Introduction to Tablet Weaving
- How to Card-Weave Letters, Numbers or Designs (Double-faced Weaving)
- Tubular Tablet Weaving: How to Make a Period Cord
- Becoming a Ghirlandaio Girl: Introduction to 1480's Florentine Women's Dress
- How to Research Like an Academic: Moving Towards a Major A&S Project
- King and Queen's Arts & Sciences Championships, 2016 - finals. A 1480's Florentine Woman's Ensemble
- St. Eligius A&S Competition, 2015 - winner in the experienced competitor category. 15th Century Pleated Camicia
- 5th Annual Realm of Venus Italian Renaissance Costume Challenge, 2015 - first place, plus Best Historically Accurate Construction and Best Novice in Italian Renaissance Costuming.
- Lady of the Rose Tourney A&S Display, 2014 - winner of the populace vote. 16th Century Blackworked Cuffs
Elena is a fiber arts/research junky. She is a dabbler in lots of styles of embroidery with a love of various counted and 3D styles. Fashion history is a bit of an obsession of hers, with a special focus on the 13th-16th centuries. She also enjoys tablet weaving with various techniques, as well as spinning, fingerloop braiding, and kumihimo. In mundane life she is an academic with a background in medieval and renaissance culture.
She is a huge supporter of the rapier crew The Handsome Boys and is so proud of their accomplishments at Pennsic 44!