K&Q Bardic 2018
Azure, a wolf rampant and on a chief nebuly argent three orange trees couped and fructed proper.
|Award & Office Badges|
Drake joined the SCA from 1991-1993, and returned in 2011, after attending a couple of Pennsics and other events in the mid-2000's.
He resides in the Shire of Rusted Woodlands with his wife Lady Jessa de Hunteleghe and their son Spencer Oranwood, but is often found playing in the Barony of Concordia of the Snows among their bardic community. Drake is apprenticed to Mistress Sofia Tyzes, known as Zsof of the Midrealm, and studied previously under Maistre Lucien de Pontivy of the East Kingdom.
Drake Oranwood is an English composer and musician in the Elizabethan era. He has spent time in Scotland, where he became enamored of tales of the Fae, and has traveled in Europe as well. When he is at home in London or interacting with patrons in Elizabeth's court, he is careful to maintain the secrecy of his Jewish descent. His skills include singing, songwriting, poetry, storytelling, and the lute.
Offices & Positions
- Baronial Bard, Concordia of the Snows (2016-2017)
Projects, Performances, & Classes
- Performer, Solo concerts with guests, Pennsic 43-47 (2014-2018)
- Organizer, Sing for the East concert, East Kingdom 50 Year Celebration, 06/30/2018
- Performer, Solo concert with guests, East Kingdom 50 Year Celebration, 06/29/2018
- Co-producer (with Arden of Icomb), Contributor, Vocalist, Instrumentalist, Sing for the East, collaborative bardic music album, released 6/10/2017
- Composition, "Concordian Soil", commissioned by their Excellencies Jean Paul and Lylie, honoring Concordia of the Snows. Performed at Wars of the Roses, 05/27/2017
- Composition, "I asked of thee a boon", Elizabethan "air" for four voices and the lute. Performed at Laurels' Prize Tourney, Carolingia, 03/25/2017
- Contrafact, "The Binding of Isaac", (tune of "My love hath vowed" by Thomas Campion). Duet with Spencer Oranwood, self-accompanied on lute part, K&Q Bardic/A&S Champions, 02/11/2017
- Author, "The Double Bind: Thomas Campion and Elizabethan Women", East Kingdom Gazette, 01/03/2017
- Musician (guitar & voice, Elizabethan lute songs), Singer (choral & solo). Feast of St. Nicholas (immersion Elizabethan event), Concordia, 12/10/2016
- Composition, "We Are The East", inspired by HRM Caoilfhionn inghean Fhaoláin and offered as an anthem for the populace. Performed at K&Q Bardic Champions, 03/05/2016
- Composer, Vocalist, Producer, Hidden Gold, Bardic music album, released 06/20/2015
- Contrafact, "Silverhair", (tune of "Drømde mik en drøm i nat") in honor of Ose Silverhair's elevation. Performed in procession, 03/08/2015
- Contrafact, "Mug Your Gate", (tune of "Watkins Ale") to popularize this means of welcoming performers at camps. Performed at Heather Dale and Friends Concert, Pennsic 42, 07/31/2013
- Composition, "Lady of the Rose", in honor of the Order. Performed at Ladies of the Rose Happy Hour, Pennsic 42, 07/31/2013
- My Guitar's Persona Is a Lute (Pennsic 2018)
- Thy Name Is Woman: Men on Women in Elizabethan England (Pennsic 2017, 2016)
- The New Bard's Road Map (Pennsic 2017, 2016)
- Songwriting to Tell a Story (Pennsic 2017, 2015, 2013, Wars of the Roses 2015, 2014)
EK Event Staff
- Event Steward (Autocrat), Winter Nights, Concordia of the Snows, 09/16/2017
- Organizer & Judge, Bardic Competition & War Point, Wars of the Roses, 05/27/2017
- List Herald, EK Crown Tourney, 05/06/2017, 11/04/2017
- Gate Staff, Wars of the Roses, 05/23/2015, 05/28/2016
- List Herald, EK Novice Day, 07/11/2015
- Gate Staff, King's and Queen's A&S Champions, 02/22/2014
- Gate Staff, The One True Feast Day of St. Pyr, 02/29/1992
- Co-organizer and host, Bardic Arts Exhibition, Pennsic 42-47 (2013-2018)
- Co-provost, Bardic Collegium, Pennsic 43-44 (2014-2015)
In Case of Court
- If Drake’s presence is needed in court, he would appreciate a request without knowing the details, so he can ensure his availability.
- If surprise is considered essential, Drake's wife Jessa de Hunteleghe (aka Jessica) is the best point of contact, to learn what events he will be attending.