Per pale sable and vert, on a chief argent a fox passant gules.
|Award & Office Badges|
|AOA, , , |
Deputy Kingdom Marshal of Fence, Central Region Deputy Herald
Donovan Shinnock got involved with the SCA mumbly-mumble years ago, back when Carolingian fencing was still held at the Boston Fencing Club and schalgers weren't even thought of. Since then, he's jumped into fencing and has developed a growing interest in period fencing manuals, heraldry, teaching, helping the fencing program in general, bardic shenanigans, and avoiding witnesses when he gets into trouble. He is also inordinately fond of foxes.
This is a work in progress. Late-period Irish-English, very likely from inside the English-controlled area, if not having moved to England itself. Very likely left home because it was kind of going downhill fast.
His name uses the Anglicized spelling as it's late period - and out of a kindness and love for heralds.
- Order of Defense - Omega and Etheldreda
- King's Cypher - Edward III
- King's Esteem of Merit - Edward II
- King's Esteem of Merit - Kenric II
- King's Esteem of Merit - Brennan
- Award of Arms - Brion II and Anna II
- Order of the Silver Rapier - Darius IV and Alethea
- Order of the Golden Rapier - Edward and Marguerite
- Order of the Maunche - Edward III and Thyra II
- Order of the Perseus
- Order of the Daystar
Offices, Positions, Appointments
- Deputy Kingdom Marshal of Fence: November 2014-Present
- Central Region Deputy Marshal of Fence: June 2009-December 2014
- Central Region Heraldic Deputy (Golden Rapier Herald): October 2014-Present
- Queen's Guard, Brenwen II
- Queen's Rapier Champion, 2010-2011 (Brenwen II, Marguerite, Aikaterine II)
- King's Rapier Champion, 2012-2013 (Gregor III, Kenric, Edward II)
- King's Rapier Champion, 2014 (Kenric II, Brennan, Edward III)
- Pennsic EK Rapier Champions Team Coordinator: 2013, 2014, 2015
- Heraldic Staff: Edward III and Thyra II
- Lottieri Malocchio, inducted into the Order of the Golden Rapier August 6, AS49 at the Pennsic War.
- Anastasia da Monte, inducted into the Order of the Golden Rapier January 31, AS49 at King's and Queen's Bardic Champions.
Former protege to Ryan Mac Whyte.
Projects & Publications
Donovan's Rapier and other SCA projects and writings blog.
Guards and Counter-Guards as Described by Giganti, published in Ars Scientia Orientalis (Issue 5, Spring 2013) - Also taught as a short class.
A Brief Introduction to Capo Ferro - An Overview of His Manual and the Principles Therein (class notes here)
Introduction to Italian Rapier Concepts
Gaining the Blade; Guards and Counter-Guards
A Comparison Of The Postures of Capo Ferro and Fabris: done as a poster display (with accompanying discussion) at Voyages of Discovery, 2014.