Christina Jenevra de Carvalhal
Baroness Christina Jenevra de Carvalhal
|Resides: Barony of Buckland Cross
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Paly argent and sable, on a chief triangular azure a closed book palewise Or.
|Award & Office Badges|
After years of thinking "that might be fun" our family joined the SCA in 2008. I am keen on my art of bookbinding. Please see my ongoing blog for examples of my work and research. Jenevra's Blog. I use she/her pronouns and they is also welcome.
I am currently working on rubrics for the stationers arts - how do we assess progress and help artisans grow without being burdensome or causing frustration? Growing that group as we emerge from the plague years is important to me. As for my own arts, I am slowly expanding my decorative skills in bookbinding. I am also keen on picking up some long abandoned research into the book arts - research papers are a thing one can enjoy!
Mundanely known as Christine Connors. Christine's husband Matt Connors is known in the Society as Fearghus O'Conchobhair.
Portuguese. 1475 - 1535
Offices, Positions and Awards
- Librarian, Shire of Buckland Cross, 03/18/2009 to present
- Herald, Shire of Buckland Cross, May 2011 to May 2013
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, Shire of Buckland Cross, January 17, 2013 to July 2015
- Webminister, Shire of Buckland Cross, 2013 to January 2021
- Chatelaine, Shire of Buckland Cross, July 2015 to 2019
- Deputy Seneschal, Shire of Buckland Cross, April 2017 to January 2021
- Mistress, East Kingdom Worshipful Company of Stationers, January 2020 to present
- Seneschal, Barony of Buckland Cross, January 2021 to present
- Chief of Staff and Webminister, Royal Household of Ivan and Matilde, May 2017 to April 2018
- Royal Favor Coordinator, Omega and Etheldreda
- Warranted Webminister-at-Large
- East Kingdom Deputy Webminister, Design, 2017 - 2019
- AoA, January 15, 2011
- Order of the Maunche, River War IV, September 6, AS 48 (2013)
- Court Barony, Southern Region War Camp, AS 50 (2015)
- Writ, Order of the Laurel, Birka, AS LII
- Company of the Pennon of the East, Gulf Wars XXVII (2018), AS LII
- Order of the Silver Crescent, Mudthaw - Nowruz Comes to the Swamp, March 24, 2018, AS LII
- King's Cypher, Tsar Ivan, Last Court, April 7, 2018, AS LII
- Companion of the Order of the Laurel, East Kingdom 50 Year Celebration
- Graduated Apprentice and Protegé of Master Iheronimus Brückner
- Students Laird Malys MacGregor, Baroness Beatrice de Warynton
Event Staff & Teaching
- Event Steward, Production Manager, Performer, Beowulf the Ethereal Event, 2020
- Assistant Director and Performer, Njal's Saga, 2017 (Aethelmearc)
- Event Steward, Artisan's Village, 2017-2019
- Paper and Scribal Arts Village Coordinator, Bookbinding Teacher, Artisan's Village, 2015-2016
- Teacher, Bookbinding, Artisan's Village at Mudthaw, 2016
- Teacher, Girdle Bookbinding and Medieval Bookmarks, Pennsic, 2016 & 2017
- Autocrat, Mad Medieval Science Fair, 10/13, 11/14
- Deputy Autocrat, Mad Medieval Science Fair, 11/12
- Teacher, Coptic Bookbinding, Shire of Buckland Cross A&S Night and East Kingdom University Collegium, 2012
- Autocrat, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire Demo, 2011-2012
- Teacher, Bookbinding and Medieval Distillation and Use of Essential Oils, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/11
- Teacher, Children's Papermaking and Bookbinding, Crown Tourney, 5/11
- Teacher, Medieval Distillation and Use of Essential Oils, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/10
- Teaching Assistant, Glass Bead Making, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/10
- Teaching Assistant, Glass Bead Making, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/09
Projects & Publications
- My favorite books to bind are in the mudejar style. Early attempts can be seen at right Alethea's Vigil Book.
- Blank bound books (for Vigils) for Mistresses Althea, Honig, Sabine, Auriana, Heather, Katheryn and Masters Rowen and Nicholas, Sir Rory and Sir Ivan .
- SCA Swaps - Vade Mecum, Girdle, and Suede bound books.
- Paper and pasteboard making.
- Digitized a book & materials repair manual I wrote in graduate school.
- Award scrolls, Maunche, Silver Crescent and Pelican, in a variety of forms: gameboard, letterpressed text and carved wood blocks.
I have recorded some of my work at Christine's Compendium.
Jenevra, as she prefers to be called, is happy to teach the following classes:
- Essential Oils
- Lucet Basics
- The Organization of Knowledge in Period
- Schola in the Shire - From Scribe to Binding
- Should I have the honor of being considered for another Peerage, a simple affair would please me most. A single speaker from the Order in question, a lovely scroll and simple regalia.
Some of these are likely outdated - I promise to clean them up!