|Barony of Carolingia|
Azure, a pall wavy or
|Founded: November 1970 (AS VI)|
|Location: Boston, MA|
The Barony of Carolingia is one of the oldest branches in the East Kingdom, founded only a couple of years after the Kingdom itself. From the beginning, it has particularly distinguished itself for the wide variety of activities practiced there, with dozens of regular practices spanning many different arts, as well as leading in a number of forms of SCA martial activity.
Meaning: The name "Carolingia" refers to the Charles River, which flows through Boston. The "wavy Y" on the Baronial arms allude to the river and its tributaries.
Established: The founding meeting of the then "Barony of Norfolk, Suffolk and Middlesex" was held in November 1970. The first event of the newly-renamed Barony of Carolingia was held on Valentine's Day, 1971.
Blazon: Azure, a pall wavy or
Heraldic officer's title: Golden Gryphon Pursuivant
Awards: Carolingia has three awards, following the usual SCA division:
- The Order of the Daystar rewards service.
- The Order of the Moon recognizes advancement of the arts.
- The Order of Perseus is for leadership in the martial arts. (The name refers to the constellation, in keeping with the astronomical theme.)
Newsletter: The Carolingian Minuscule. (It's a calligraphy joke.)
Fighting Unit(s): The Carolingian Pike Company is the Barony's official fighting unit
Archery: The Carolingian Company of Bowmen is the Barony's first Guild
Territories of Carolingia
- The Canton of the Towers is composed of the northern part of Carolingia.
- The Canton of Aschehyrst is the western reaches of the Barony.
- Boroughs are semi-official college branches. Each borough has a seat on the Great Council of Carolingia, but is not an official SCA branch. The following boroughs have existed at one time or another; some are currently inactive:
- Borough of Darksted Wood (UMass Lowell)
- Borough of Duncharloch (Harvard)
- Borough of Felding (Wellesley)
- Borough of Fenmere (Brandeis)
- Borough of Greenwood Isle (Simmons)
- Borough of Huntington Green (Northeastern)
- Borough of Knollwood (Olin)
- Borough of MITgaard (MIT)
- Borough of Norsu (Tufts)
- Borough of Rosin Gorm (Regis)
- Borough of Southbanke (Boston University)
- The Official Web Site provides much more detail, including lists of the various guilds, activities and practices, and contact information for many officers.