Brigit inghean ui Dhomhnaill
Brigit inghean ui Dhomhnaill
Per fess azure and Or, a sea-lion maintaining a spiked mace counterchanged
|Award & Office Badges|
Lady Brigit inghean ui Dhomhnaill found the SCA in the fall of 1989. Her first event was Quest for Wit and Wisdom in May of 1990. She became a member of House Bloodguard but left in 1991 to focus on participating with her local Barony.
- Brigit inghean ui Dhomhnaill was born in Ireland in the year 921 AD. Her mother, Gormlaith mac Broin, fell in love with a Norseman from Dublin named Thorbrandr Shortaxe. They were married in secret by Abbot Flannacán ua Riacáin at St Brigid's Abbey in Kildare. Shortly thereafter Thorbrandr left Dublin for Jorvik in the service of Sitric Cáech, King of Dublin and Northumbria. After he left, Gormlaith's father arranged a marriage for her to Brann mac Dhomhnaill, son of Domhnaill mac Áeda Muindeirg, chief of Clan Dhomhnaill and one time King of the Southern Ui Neill. Shortly thereafter, Gormlaith discovered she was with child. When the child was born, Gormlaith named her for St. Brigid and the Goddess Brigit.
- Brigit grew up as the daughter of Brann. Fortunately her looks and stature followed her mother's family so her blonde hair and unusual strength were not questioned. She did come to know her birth father, Thorbrandr. Her mother would meet with him in secret when he would return to Dublin every few years. Thorbrandr would call her Sunnbjorn, which means sun-bear, for her blonde hair and strength. He taught her how to fight with sword, shield, spear, and axe, how to survive in the wild, and how to sail.
- Upon her coming of age Brann mac Dhomhnaill wanted to arrange a marriage for Brigit to the son of a neighboring clan. Gormlaith got word to Thorbrandr who arranged passage for Brigit out of Ireland. Brigit dressed as a man, took the name Sunnbjorn Thorbrandrsson and traveled with her father to Jorvik. She was also called Sunnbjorn skegglauss, which means beardless.
- During her years in Jorvik, she learned many skills including leatherworking, armor construction and repair, and chainmail manufacture and repair. When Thorbrandr died Brigit joined a mercenary band with which she traveled throughout the British Isles. They worked in several countries on the European continent and travelled far both east and west, from Iceland to Byzantium. After many years she returned to Ireland. She learned that Brann mac Dhomhnaill had passed away during her absence, and her mother had joined St. Brigid's Abbey at Kildare. Her mother welcomed her warmly and blessed her for her strength and freedom.
- Brigit's adopted motto is: "Libera Vivas!" -Latin for "May you live Free!"
Offices & Positions
- Mistress of Lists, Barony of Carillion, Nov 2019 - Present
- Seneschal, Barony of Carillion, December 2016 - June 2019
- Deputy Seneschal, Barony of Carillion, Oct 2016 - Dec 2016
- Mistress of Lists, Barony of Carillion, Oct 2013 - Dec 2016
- Exchequer, Barony of Carillion, March 2008 - October 2013
- Gate Steward/Reservationist - Bellringers/12th Night/Investiture 2015
- Gate Steward/Reservationist - Bellringers 2014
- Autocrat - Bellringers 2005
- Co-Autocrat - May Day Daze 1994
General help for numerous events over the past 20+ years.
Honours & Awards
- Order of Sante Ruprecht: January 2015 (Baronial Award for lifetime of service)
- Companion of the Silver Crescent: April 2014
- Beacon of Carillion: September 2013 (Baronial Award for Arts and Sciences)
- Order of the Iron Bell: 2013 (Baronial Award honors all those who raise arms to defend the Barony and to serve in the Baronial Levies at Pennsic War)
- Award of the Golden Chime: 2005 (Award for singular acts of Service to Carillion) Given for repairs done to Baronial Thrones
- Order of the Sable Bell: September 1992 at Lakewood Renfaire (Award for Significant Service to the Barony of Carillion)
- Award of Arms: November 21, 1992 as Bridget O'Donnell
- Member of House Erlendsstaðir
- Co-Founder of House Hammerfall in 2013 with Corcran Mac Diarmata and Gericke der Keggar
- Member of The Circle 2000-2013
- Member Brotherhood of the Order
- Associate member of House Winged Serpent
- Former member House Bloodguard 1989-1991
Protege' and Squire to Duke Master Sir Gavin Kilkenny of Kilkarren OP, KSCA