Sable, on a bend enarched Or between two English panthers rampant guardant spotted vert and incensed proper three oak leaves vert.
|Award & Office Badges|
I started attending SCA events as something to do in the 'off-season', when I wasn't at the Rennaisance Faires. As my interest in the SCA, and in the historical aspects, grew to be more than just social; I took up archery (which has, admittedly, fallen by the wayside), and I eventually began rapier.
At first, my persona was based as much on my faire garb as my heritage, and I chose to look at 1300's Irish. When I began fencing, it was generally accepted that one moved one's timeline forward to late period; for me, this was encouraged largely by Duchess Isabella of York. Rapier has become my main activity, evolving into my focus and passion for the historical rapier styles. I also do leatherwork, for the enjoyment of it, and for commission.
I started the my SCA life in the Shire (now Barony) of An Dubhaigeainn. I now reside in the Crown Province of Ostgardr, but due to ease of travel, find it easier to participate and socialize in the Barony of Settmour Swamp, especially since both the Household I belong to (TOAD), and my Don (now Master, Orlando Sforza) are there. I also frequent the central area of the kingdom, visiting friends and Houses there, with regularity.
Recently, when looking into my name, which some had dismayed was less than period for my usual persona (late 1500's Irish, as opposed to the early 1300's), we happened to find that the usage was well documentable. There was one small change possible: that being to "Fyrebow", as the 'y' seemed to be more in use than the 'i'. I am happy to keep the name as is, tho.
Lord Brendan Firebow is an Irishman of the 1570's or so, taken as a cadet under the guidance of Master Orlando Sforza, and studies the Italian schools of Rapier, specifically the style of Salvatore Fabris. He also studies the styles of his forebears, and finds enjoyment in the study of Bolognese swordsmanship, Longsword in the German and Italian traditions, and the sword and buckler work of the Walpurgis Fechtbuch (i.33).
He is a leatherworker of some skill, plying his trade in largely martial leatherworks and accessories.
- Member of House TOAD (Them OGR's Academy of Defense)
- Camps with House de Londres at Pennsic
- Will fight with Don Remy's Calivers, when able.
- Queen's Guard for Isabella I, Isabella II, and Caoilfhionn I
- Received Award of Arms from Andreas & Isabella I - April 2001
- Made a Fencing Marshal - November 2004
- Became Settmour Swamp Rapier Champion at Quest - May 2007
- Taken as a Cadet by Don Orlando Sforza at K&Q Rapier Champions- February 2009
- Made a Companion of the Order of the Silver Rapier at Known World Academy of the Rapier - October 2009
- Became Ostgardr Rapier Champion at Barleycorn - September 2011
- Became Settmour Swamp Rapier Champion at Quest - May 2013
- Made a Companion of the Order of the Silver Brooch at Mudthaw - April 2016
- Became Settmour Swamp Rapier Champion at Quest - May 2016
- Made a Companion of the Order of the Iron Tower at Pennsic Baronial Court - August 2016
- Made a Companion of the Order of the Golden Rapier - August 2017
- Made a Companion of the Midrealm's Order of Company of the Bronze Ring - August 2017
- Became Ostgardr Rapier Champion at Barleycorn - September 2017
- Made a Companion of the Order of the Maunche - September 2018
Projects & Publications
- Taught a Fundamentals of Defense class at Known World Academy of the Rapier - October 2009
- Published the Fundamentals of Defense article the Known World Handbook (2010 edition)
- Currently teaches a Beginning Fabris class
- Currently teaches a class on period rapier hangers
- Created Vigil Book for Master Orlando's elevation.
- Created the Pauldron for Master Azriel le Fey's elevetion in the Midrealm.
- Created the Rapier Champion Baldric and Hanger for The King and Queen's rapier champions.
- Created Rapier Champion's Baldrics for the Baronies of:
- An Dubhaigeainn
- Currently teaches a class on Leather coronets
- I have a Blog page to discuss Rapier, Western Martial Arts, and to put up documentation on my leatherwork projects. It can be found at: https://brendanfyrebow.wordpress.com/