Sable, on a bend enarched Or between two English panthers rampant guardant spotted vert and incensed proper three oak leaves vert.
|Award & Office Badges|
I started attending SCA events as something to do in the 'off-season', when I wasn't at the Renaissance Faires. My interest in the SCA, and in the historical aspects, grew to be more than just social; I took up archery (which has, admittedly, fallen by the wayside), and I eventually began rapier.
At first, my persona was based as much on my faire garb as my heritage, and I chose to look at 1300's Irish. When I began fencing, it was generally accepted that one moved one's timeline forward to late period; for me, this was encouraged largely by Duchess Isabella of York. Rapier has become my main activity, evolving into my focus and passion for the historical rapier styles. I also do leatherwork, for the enjoyment of it, and upon commission.
I started the my SCA life in An Dubhaigeainn, which at the time, was a shire. I now reside in the Crown Province of Ostgardr, but also participate and socialize in the Barony of Settmour Swamp, and in the central area of the kingdom, visiting friends and Houses there, with regularity.
I regularly can be found on the fencing field; and will run tournaments, lists, classes, and one on one sessions. If you need a hand with your rapier leatherwork or just a direction to look, I am also happy to do what I can.
Don Brendan Firebow is an Irishman of the 1570's or so, taken as a cadet under the guidance of Master Orlando Sforza, and studies the Italian schools of Rapier, specifically the style of Salvatore Fabris. He also studies the styles of his forebears, and finds enjoyment in the study of Bolognese swordsmanship, Longsword in the German and Italian traditions, and the sword and buckler work of the Walpurgis Fechtbuch (i.33).
He is a leatherworker of some skill, plying his trade in largely martial leatherworks and accessories.
- Member of House TOAD (Them OGR's Academy of Defense)
- Camps with House de Londres at Pennsic
- Fights with Master Remy's Calivers, when able.
- Queen's Guard for Isabella I, Isabella II, and Caoilfhionn I
- Settmour Swamp Rapier Champion at Quest - May 2007
- Ostgardr Rapier Champion at Barleycorn - September 2011
- Settmour Swamp Rapier Champion at Quest - May 2013
- Ostgardr Rapier Champion at Barleycorn - September 2014
- Settmour Swamp Rapier Champion at Quest - May 2016
- Ostgardr Rapier Champion at Barleycorn - September 2017
- Fencing Marshal - November 2004 - Present
- Web-minister for East Kingdom Rapier 2018-present
- Award of Arms from Andreas & Isabella I - April 2001
- Companion of the Order of the Silver Rapier at Known World Academy of the Rapier - October 2009
- Companion of the Order of the Silver Brooch at Mudthaw - April 2016
- Companion of the Order of the Iron Tower at Pennsic Baronial Court - August 2016
- Companion of the Order of the Golden Rapier - August 2017
- Companion of the Midrealm's Order of Company of the Bronze Ring - August 2017
- Companion of the Order of the Maunche - September 2018
Projects & Publications
- Started teaching with Fundamentals of Defense, at Known World Academy of the Rapier - October 2009
- Published the Fundamentals of Defense article the Known World Handbook (2010 edition)
- Teaches a Beginning Fabris class, at Pennsic and at several other events, since 2016 (Pennsic 45 to Present)
- Teaches a class on period rapier hangers, at Pennsic, since 2017 (Pennsic 46 to Present)
- Teaches a class on Leather coronets, at Pennsic and upon request, since 2017 (Pennsic 46 to Present)
- Several Vigil Books for elevations to the Orders of Defense, Laurel, and Pelican as well as other elevation related materials for East and Middle Kingdom awards
- Rapier Champion baldrics or rapier hangers for The King and Queen's rapier champions, as well as for the baronies of:
- An Dubhaigeainn
- Leather Coronets created for HRM, HRH, An Dubhaigeainn, and several court baronies.
- I have a Blog page to discuss Rapier, Western Martial Arts, and to put up documentation on my leatherwork projects. It can be found at: https://brendanfyrebow.wordpress.com/
I have no issue with awards being given Virtually, in the Ethereal court. This is an acceptable way to be recognized. In case of Award, please contact Sisuile Butler and/or Ameline Qui Dosnoie